Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IS THERE A PARTICULAR FISH YOU HAVEN'T LANDED YET & WOULD LIKE TO??? name one

IS THERE A PARTICULAR FISH YOU HAVEN'T LANDED YET & WOULD LIKE TO??? name one

Just thinking about this the other day.

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO CATCH A BONE FISH!!

I think their fighting factor is very high (strength to weight ration), although I could be wrong. So if one of you fishos out there have landed one, let me know how it went.

I think I hooked on to one years ago when my wonderful Dad (he has passed away) took me up to Lizard Island, my Dad and I shared an undying love of fishing...he groomed me to fish.

One day I will post a story about my father & the times we shared... but even though it's over a decade I still get too emotional.

Sorry to divert from the topic.

The photo of my first fish is in my photos, Dad took that photo...I miss him.

Anyway Dad & I walked over to the Eastern side of Lizard and I cast out on my Black Fish rod...really BAD CHOICE OF ROD!!!! The water was crystal clear... I couldn't see the fish but I could see the rig taking off as if I had hooked onto a Wahoo. Got done big time!!! It could have been a Bone fish, I like to think it was but will never know.

Any advice or input on location and how to catch one (and I would release it).

Cheers Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Re: IS THERE A PARTICULAR FISH YOU HAVEN'T LANDED YET & WOULD LIKE TO??? name one

A John Dory....Don't know why....Just never seen one.

Re: IS THERE A PARTICULAR FISH YOU HAVEN'T LANDED YET & WOULD LIKE TO??? name one

Gotcha!!! I've caught one, years ago. I remember it being one of the nicest eating fish but basically a dead weight to land. Caught it off Moruya fishing with Dad.
    I think there are about five different varieties of Dory, they can be caught in Southern QLD but more common in colder deeper waters, as far south as Tassie.
    R.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

I'd like to catch a decent snapper at Redcliffe again......
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    A John Dory....Don't know why....Just never seen one.
    Plenty of John Dory down this way, they are a target species in some harbours, and a by catch for Flathead fishermen.

The sailfish has eluded me so far.

I have caught red emp, but another few would be great. Don't get the chance to get out too much. And time is running out...

King George Whiting !! Always has been in my Bucketlist and couple of times in last few years tried to make it a reality . The Van and off to Vic , SA , Aeir Penisular in search of a Big KG but havent been able to move far further than Northern Rivers area N.S.W.
    Wollongong was the furtherest the Van got to and back home . Both times one would have thought it would have been ticked off as three odd months away first time and four the next lol, but what can one do ??.
    Move into a Caravan Park , meet up with wandefull folk with same interests , Beer tastes nice , Afternoons under a tree with a wine or two Happy Hour time , ample Fish to be had adjascent and hard to move too far.
    But hopefully health holding up will get to tick it off the list soon ??.
    Know how you feel when you say you miss your Dad especially having fond Fishing memories also and yes think all would love to hear about it Roz.
    I have Fond memories of my Dad but not Fishing as he was far too busy trying to raise us kids , put food on the table and pay off a mortgage in those days although it was he and one of his mates that did introduce me to Fishing adjascent to the Hot Water Outlet at Tallawarra Power Station with many a cold night memeories or maybe should have said freezing memories pulling in Bream with a handline late nights..
    Good Years , Full of fond memories!!..
    Have caught ample Reds . Red Jew , Jewies , Sailfish and the list goes on but to date my favourite is still the Whiting , pound for pound and taste ?? "What can one say " ?? "Bloody Nice ".
    Watched plenty Youtube Vids of those Elbow slapping Whiting they catch in the Goldcoast Waterways and alway Ooohed and Aaaahed!! now i have found my little gifted spot for them but not many though will suss out their movements in the hope of just enough for a good feed when the tides are right ..
    No other Fish that really stand out to be ticked off the bucketlist really , Happy with what comes by nowdays and prefer to go out and make Memories with my Children and Grandchildren in the hope they have Fond memories of their Papou ( Grandad ) one day also..
    And the list goes on ..

Anything bloody legal, it's been a long time.

OK. How would you define a decent Snapper?? I've caught quite a few over the years mainly fishing on Fido's reef located east of Cook Island off Tweed, crossing that bar used to scare the daylights out of me. Hardly landed any squire there.
    Fishing on the Local, the name of the reef off Kingscliff also good choice. Main lesson with Snaps, early & burly or late and burly, unless you fish wide and deep, I couldn't be bothered anchoring up deeper than 18/20 metres. Burly cage down to about three metres and floating pilchards on ganged 5/0 (off set).
    Anyway, I now fish off Coffs late in the afternoon, on Marshes shoals, works a treat!!!
    cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    Just thinking about this the other day.

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO CATCH A BONE FISH!!

I think their fighting factor is very high (strength to weight ration), although I could be wrong. So if one of you fishos out there have landed one, let me know how it went.

I think I hooked on to one years ago when my wonderful Dad (he has passed away) took me up to Lizard Island, my Dad and I shared an undying love of fishing...he groomed me to fish.

One day I will post a story about my father & the times we shared... but even though it's over a decade I still get too emotional.

Sorry to divert from the topic.

The photo of my first fish is in my photos, Dad took that photo...I miss him.

Anyway Dad & I walked over to the Eastern side of Lizard and I cast out on my Black Fish rod...really BAD CHOICE OF ROD!!!! The water was crystal clear... I couldn't see the fish but I could see the rig taking off as if I had hooked onto a Wahoo. Got done big time!!! It could have been a Bone fish, I like to think it was but will never know.

Any advice or input on location and how to catch one (and I would release it).

Cheers Roz
    Roz, they are in the shallow of Sandy Cape in numbers around xmas, not big about 2-3 kgs dunno about how strong they are, but they have crazy turn of speed for a little fish Think of massive whitting on steroids, and you might even snag a permit in the exact same areas.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Hey there Volvo!!! my rod building hero and wonderful person!!!

I think I caught one fishing with Dad down near Moruya, located way south of Sydney. Can't recall the name of the beach but it's location was part of a National Park, located near Moruya. I do remember a rocky outcrop just near the southern end of that beach, not much swell and a small channel with beautiful clear water, Dad used to catch prawns in the Moruya river so that was the bait we used. I lived out west N.S.W back than & would travel down & visit him, usually Christmas time. Anyway, I wasn't aiming to catch a good whiting, it just worked out that way, and YES they are great to eat.
    Another whiting story...... I was fishing off Bustard Head for macks one year, and had run low on towing baits, I rigged up a red spot whiting and it worked!!!!!
    Finally, I've never caught a legal bream but managed two Australia records... how does that work???
    Will catch up soon.
    Cheers Roz aka Bruce
    p.s. I still use that rod!!!!!
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

As mentioned in response to Volvo's post, I have yet to catch a legal Bream.... join the club!!!!
    r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

I think I've only caught one or two, they now have to be 55cm and over... correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't fished wide of 1770 for ages, but the green zones are working big time, more good fish. So fish as close to a green zone as you can IMO.

r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Thanks for that!! Do you know if they take lures??? or just bait??

Now I have to find the location of Sandy Cape, never heard of it.

cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!