Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IS THERE A PARTICULAR FISH YOU HAVEN'T LANDED YET & WOULD LIKE TO??? name one

Re: IS THERE A PARTICULAR FISH YOU HAVEN'T LANDED YET & WOULD LIKE TO??? name one

Gotcha!!!!
    I've managed a Sail. I was towing baits off Bustard Head, thought I had hook up onto another mack, but when I looked back I this amazing Sail fish jumping... I have an old photo of it jumping. A few years earlier I landed my first bill fish off Kingscliff, a small Black Marlin. I ate every single bit of that fish, nice white meat .... BUT I decided never to land/kill another bill fish, don't need a bill fish to boost my fishing ego, so upon getting the sail to the side of the boat, I inserted three marine institute tags into it's shoulder and released it. Must add, the tags have a number, they also come with a card with a matching number.

The species, the date, estimated length & weight plus the latitude & longitude has to be written on the card which is then posted back to the institute, if the fish is ever recaptured a growth rate and migration pattern can be established. On the down side, the shed rate of tags is up to 60%.
    Releasing that Sail fish would have been the most wonderful fishing experience I have ever had.

Hope you have that chance.
    Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Re: IS THERE A PARTICULAR FISH YOU HAVEN'T LANDED YET & WOULD LIKE TO??? name one

Sandy Cape is the top end of Fraser Roz, and most go there from Hervey Bay across takes a fair time and can be lumpy with a north westerly. You can scoot up the inside of Fraser if it's got easterly in it. There's a bar that runs out from Sandy Cape lighthouse which can be dangerous. There will be plenty of people on here who know it well and can give you information on times and tides I think but it's a tricky stretch of water that you need to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    Hey there Volvo!!! my rod building hero and wonderful person!!!

I think I caught one fishing with Dad down near Moruya, located way south of Sydney. Can't recall the name of the beach but it's location was part of a National Park, located near Moruya. I do remember a rocky outcrop just near the southern end of that beach, not much swell and a small channel with beautiful clear water, Dad used to catch prawns in the Moruya river so that was the bait we used. I lived out west N.S.W back than & would travel down & visit him, usually Christmas time. Anyway, I wasn't aiming to catch a good whiting, it just worked out that way, and YES they are great to eat.
    Another whiting story...... I was fishing off Bustard Head for macks one year, and had run low on towing baits, I rigged up a red spot whiting and it worked!!!!!
    Finally, I've never caught a legal bream but managed two Australia records... how does that work???
    Will catch up soon.
    Cheers Roz aka Bruce
    p.s. I still use that rod!!!!!
    Yo Bruce n Good to see you back ondeck !!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Plenty of John Dory down this way, they are a target species in some harbours, and a by catch for Flathead fishermen.
    Noel , used to catch Big ones in Port Kembla Harbour when i was a Lad , and used to be a favourite on the Menu out of the Resturaunts in Auburn St Golbourne N.S.W. and can tell you a good flounder in them days would flow over the Huge dinner plates ...

OK. How would you define a decent Snapper?? I've caught quite a few over the years mainly fishing on Fido's reef located east of Cook Island off Tweed, crossing that bar used to scare the daylights out of me. Hardly landed any squire there.
    Fishing on the Local, the name of the reef off Kingscliff also good choice. Main lesson with Snaps, early & burly or late and burly, unless you fish wide and deep, I couldn't be bothered anchoring up deeper than 18/20 metres. Burly cage down to about three metres and floating pilchards on ganged 5/0 (off set).
    Anyway, I now fish off Coffs late in the afternoon, on Marshes shoals, works a treat!!!
    cheers r.
    Decent Snapper ?? , somewhere around the nineteen year old mark anchored in the Bay Of Islands New Zealand and being Boats Party it was an early rise take the Skipper and whoever else out for a fish for Snapper , one empty carton of the 27oz Cans of VB near full of cooked Prawns , a wee few for eating and the rest for bait . Mind you if my memory serves me well there may have been another carton somewhere close by with a few full cans !!..
    But the Snapper that kept comming up for us there will never be forgotten. Snapper that dreams are made from.
    Other Snapper off Conno Beach (Wollongong) middle of the night freezing one kannakers off waiting for them to come on the chew late seventies usung slimies or yakkas for bait though not as big as the kiwi snapper earlier mentioned but just as tasty when comming out of cold water.
    Who mentioned Red Spot Whiting !!?? lol , every trip to iluka i would take my 90 ltr Waeco mainly to fill up with the BIG!! Red Prawns that come up and i have a good friend there who would keep me as many i wanted till i filled up that Waeco and some of the shelves in the Van . Left him a pretty Dollar in the prcocess and he would always top up an empty bucket with either crabs,bugs or Red Spots Whiting.
    Deep fried prerolled in flour and they are a treat i can assure you if fresh ..
    Eastern end of Iluka off the Breakwall gives good Whiting , Jew (If one can lift them up without climbing down the wall ) and offcourse nice Big Silver Bream as well as Red Spot casting out towards the middle..
    Cheers

Ausfish Silver Member

I am second on the Red Emperor. Have caught a few juveniles but nothing of any size. I have ticked off a few on my list including a few marlin solo- released. Went on a charter up off Fraser last year after a Red but only one was caught that day - some more fortunate than I. Need to add a decent fishing boat- currently for that Red and a few Fraser adventures on the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I am second on the Red Emperor. Have caught a few juveniles but nothing of any size. I have ticked off a few on my list including a few marlin solo- released. Went on a charter up off Fraser last year after a Red but only one was caught that day - some more fortunate than I. Need to add a decent fishing boat- currently for that Red and a few Fraser adventures on the cards.
    What worked for me when reef fishing was catching a mack tuna on the way out, just got to look for a flock of birds diving onto a bait school, usually there are mack tunas underneath, or a shock to the system when you almost get spooled by a spanish.
    Anyway, taking the fillets off a mack tuna, then cutting up to bait sized pieces leaving the skin on works a treat, must add a nice 60gm slug usually gets results but don't cast into the birds but go into the direction they are heading then let the slug sink for around 10 seconds.... took me years to work that out, trial and error. As mentioned above, get close to a green zone if possible.
    Will keep my fingers crossed for you.
    cheers r
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Ausfish Silver Member

Thank you Roz. I look forward to putting those tips into practice. Heard hussar were also a great bait for Red Emps also.

Thank you Roz. I look forward to putting those tips into practice. Heard hussar were also a great bait for Red Emps also.
    And lots of other species that come from the Reef , But you want a bait that Reds Die For?? ( And most big ones do after taking this bait lol ) Are your leftover Whiting Frames!!.. Rather than ditching them in the bin take them out with you next time , 10/0 Octopus below thw jaw and out the top of the snout and drop to the bottom.
    Ye will be surprised at how a dead Whiting frame fights all the way to the top again lol.

Same here, but it's not because I don't have a decent boat.

I am limited to the distance I can steam in my Seafarer VSea, not because of the boat itself (fantastic sea boat) but I only have a 2stroke and am going to up grade to a 4stroke,the fuel used by a 2stroke compared to the 4 is massive, most of you would already know that, but need to revamp the transom first.
    Fishing off Fraser, not familiar with that area but east off 1770/Agnes YEP. I think the 25 mile is a chance but, the further north you travel the closer the main reef, I've fished out from Bloomfield, one of the locations where the Great Barrier Reef is a lot closer to the mainland, down side, it's not a lazy five minute drive to get there.
    cheers roz
    Forgot to add, fish on a full or new moon.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

The next one.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The next one.
    same here... along with a Bone F.
    cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Ausfish Silver Member

Thanks Volo/ Roz for the tips.

The charter we went on fished the north area , ocean side of Fraser- 43-55metres. Seemed nice country- could fish - fish a few different styles- mix it up- bit more interesting. Amongst other styles we did well using skirted jig heads/ SPs - Pearlies, tuskies etc. Getting more and better quality than the bait rigs. Understand the reds might prefer the large baits.

Maybe the next 18 months might see a alloy centre cab, 550-580, as a new addition- 130-150 hp 4 stroke and 150 -200 litre fuel tank would should be allow some adventures to tick a few of the wish list .

Just thinking about this the other day.

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO CATCH A BONE FISH!!

I think their fighting factor is very high (strength to weight ration), although I could be wrong. So if one of you fishos out there have landed one, let me know how it went.

I think I hooked on to one years ago when my wonderful Dad (he has passed away) took me up to Lizard Island, my Dad and I shared an undying love of fishing...he groomed me to fish.

One day I will post a story about my father & the times we shared... but even though it's over a decade I still get too emotional.

Sorry to divert from the topic.

The photo of my first fish is in my photos, Dad took that photo...I miss him.

Anyway Dad & I walked over to the Eastern side of Lizard and I cast out on my Black Fish rod...really BAD CHOICE OF ROD!!!! The water was crystal clear... I couldn't see the fish but I could see the rig taking off as if I had hooked onto a Wahoo. Got done big time!!! It could have been a Bone fish, I like to think it was but will never know.

Any advice or input on location and how to catch one (and I would release it).

Cheers Roz

200 mts of water off the tip of Fraser island drop some squid down and see what you catch it might be what you're after, id rather chase a bone fish on fly than fishing deep for them.

Where does one start on this, there are heaps that I would like to catch and haven't as yet but at the top of the list would be a nice 50Kg plus Yellowfin Tuna, might have to go to Montague Island for that one!