Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on alternatives to consider

Advice on alternatives to consider

Looking at a 4.2 to 4.6 m Quintrex Renegade as a crabbing prawning boat to explore the Mary and Susan rivers when I move there shortly.

Can anyone suggest anything else I should consider.

Am looking at up to 20K with a 40 - 50 HP  4 stroke dependent on the Hull I settle on.

Thanks
    Last edited by Y-Not; 31-08-2019 at 09:28 PM. Reason: put price range in

Re: Advice on alternatives to consider

don't go under max hp on any of the renegade hulls
    theres also the stacer version with a different bottom hull shape

if you want a under floor fuel tank or multiple batteries you will go over the unbraked trailer maximum weight

Personally I would be going to the top end of size given how rough it can get on the Mary esp wind against tide esp River Head to Beaver. You need to be able to travel good distances comfortably. Preferably tin floor as castnetting is important.
    This would be my sort of boat for the Mary. although I'd prefer centre to side console.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/iluk...ole/1225671678
    Polycraft would also be good.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Y-Not View Post
    Looking at a 4.2 to 4.6 m Quintrex Renegade as a crabbing prawning boat to explore the Mary and Susan rivers when I move there shortly.

Can anyone suggest anything else I should consider.

Am looking at up to 20K with a 40 - 50 HP  4 stroke dependent on the Hull I settle on.

Thanks
    You looking at new or pre loved?

Tiller steer or Side Console?

Using it mainly alone or with a regular deckie?

Likely to want to explore further into the Fraser coast waterways?

Have you considered the Polycraft range? More stable and softer riding than a tinnie, no corrossion to worry about, competitive on price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    You looking at new or pre loved?

Pre-loved is fine as long as in good nick. I can go bigger that way (4.5 to 5m). If I cant find good pre-loved than new as I am looking to keep for a long time.

Tiller steer or Side Console?

Either as most side consoles seem to still be driven from rear seat that I have seen in the smaller boats.

Using it mainly alone or with a regular deckie? Mostly will be solo

Likely to want to explore further into the Fraser coast waterways?
    I have a Cruise Craft Reef Raider for exploring further afield. Just after something easier to handle by myself and for hitting the creeks.

Thanks will look at these. I am not familiar with the mary/susan at all. That is why I thought would seek advice. I like to buy once and do it right.

Adding a 2nd hand Bluefin Phantom 4.75 with 75 optimax to the list as good 2nd hand renegades and Outlaws are in rare supply.
    Any thoughts????

Nothing wrong with that at all, however the one thing I would look at is getting a boat with an ally floor. You might pick up a seajay for under 20 with that sort of floor. As i mentioned earlier, if you want to fish, then livey's are the go, and if you're casting netting onto a timber deck, it's just a matter of time before it's rotten. Have never had a polycraft but are well regarded in the area, as are seajay, made in bundy both of them. There's a great glass boat maker in the borough, and those boats are fantastic for all sorts of conditions, especially if you want to duck out from River Heads into the Strait. It can get quite rough out there in a short time when the tide changes and the seabreeze kicks in. I've also had stessco tinnies, and they are well made too. Top pick would be a McLay. Bluefin certainly seem like a good boat too, and 475 would be prime.

These are just some ideas, so many choices!

Forgot to add, I was there last weekend for my boat's first trip. Kept about 200 herring alive for 8 hours, and used bugger all fuel. No leaks. No massive busters or breakdowns. Broke only a few things. Saw some things on the sounder that might have been fish. Caught a 115 thready. Very pleased.