Thread: Mercury Verado reliability?

Mercury Verado reliability?

Hey all,

Looks like we may have found a boat that suits our needs, but it’s got a 175HP Verado (2011 model I think) with 160 hours.

Are these motors generally reliable? Are there any know issues?

The supercharger worries me (but when I google ‘Verado blown supercharger’ I didn’t get many results)

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Mercury Verado reliability?

In general, I think you will find they turned out to be very reliable motors, despite what all the keyboard warriors said in pure speculation. Sure , there have been failures-find me a motor that you can't find a failure on, somewhere on the net. Mercury really own that space of supercharging outboards, right up to where their highest output models, imtially released as racing models with limited warranty, were given the same warranty as their n/a line of motors when they proved to be reliable in normal use. And some of those motors spin up to 7200 rpm.

I’ve been running a 2006 150hp (the 150-200 are basically the same motor) and have a bit over 700 hours now. I’ve found it to be reliable but can get thirsty higher in the rev range. My only issue has been with the power steering box, just keep it dry. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a boat with one and agree there’s a bit of misinformation out there about them.

I’ve purchased a boat with 2006 250hp Verado with 600hrs. Now at 900 hours with no real issues. Smooth, quiet, reliable, but thirsty at high revs. The early series 1 Verados had a weak bearing in the supercharger (mine was replaced before I purchased it). Later models including 2011 were no problems and have better economy after they recalibrated with more relaxed emission ratings. I’d buy another one.