Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toilet for a trailerboat.

Toilet for a trailerboat.

Hi guys..so I'm planning and purchasing as much of the fitout stuff for my 6.5m LOA centre cab boat now so I'll be able to get stuck in when the hull and trailer arrives in 3 weeks...

Given all the awkward moments on overnight trips with various young female wwoofers guests of ours that have spent a couple of days out at the reef the talk has turned to installing a flushing loo...the missus will start doing overnighters now I have actual bunks to sleep on in the new boat as well...I had one Asian chick that just peed in her clothes for 2 days because she was too self conscious to pee in a bucket..

I really dont want a portapotti with all the crap sloshing around under my bunk..

The only reservations I have is the safety of having 2 holes in the bottom of the boat....I see on the installation instructions that an anit-siphon setup with a vented loop is advised ..which makes perfect sense as sooner or later a valve or seal might let go....I could just install a stopcock type valve that can be manual turned on and off …

Anyone else been down this road...?

I have tried talking to a couple of different salesman from different suppliers but they seem to know stuff all about the installation requirements...

https://www.whitworths.com.au/tmc-12...oft-close-seat

vented loop.jpg

Re: Toilet for a trailerboat.

Not.sure how the vented loop works on the output. Does that mean.poo water can squirt out when under pressure? You wont have the cavity to route these anyway. Just have cocks on the toilet. You can always shut off the cocks. And a high water alarm if you want to be doubly safe ( float switch/ bilge to piezo) in the front compartment. Its.not as.though yr leaving at a mooring and if u were u just turn cocks off.
    Also maceraters clog. Like a lot. I have a cable snake and plunger on hand for unclogging

Also vipoo works very well (check out youtube commercial)

Mine just has gate valves on the in and out lines and no loop. It is manual operation so no pump to stuff up either.
    I can imagine the hassle of having to work on electric pumps when some visitor pops some extraneous item into the system too.

How big is your boat?

With mine you turn it on the gate valves to use and off when done to be sure if you have concerns about holes in the hull.

Mines been in place since 1997 an no surprises to date so the setup seems to work. I have wondered about using it to deliver burley and chunks into the water flow beneath the boat when fishing too. Some boats have tubes from the cutting board thru the hull so maybe the loo could get dual use?

I also have a porta-potti to use inside so we don't pollute and the thru hull unit gets used outside in the open ocean so we are legal

There is a holding tank unit I have seen on yachts that is positive pressure air driven and was a lot sweeter on the nose than the other holding tank style units.
    The stink seems to permeate the holding tanks and infects the rest of the boat or at least the chamber in which the tank sits.

You may have been kinder to your visitors to make them walk the plank a couple of times a day!
    What could go wrong.......................

well...any opening through the hull should have a seacock on it anyway....Another thing to consider is the quality of the hosing....cheap hosing = smell as the "product" permeates the hose over time.Urine and seawater dont mix well so you also need to flush system with dilute vinegar regularly.Do it right or you're in the.........

https://www.amazon.com/Get-Boat-Odors-Peggie-Hall/dp/1892399156
    Enjoy

Ausfish Platinum Member

I thought about the fixed toilet option when I ordered the new boat. Then realised it just wouldn't work, with vee-berths for overnight stuff. Fine for daytripping, but it means, on overnighters, that
    a) if you have the infills in to make one big bed area, the toilet is buried under that, inaccessible.
    b) if you are still using them as vee-berths, you are doing whatever in someone elses face overnight, unless you wake them up and chuck them out of the cab.

Either way, useless for overnighters. I use a portable which lives in the space the fixed toilet would have occupied for day tripping. For extended trips, it comes out on the deck and sits behind the passenger seat. If used during daylight hours, move it up beween the town seats, use can only be seen from dead astern.
    So, if you are fitting a fixed toilet, give this a lot of thought.

I have a brand new in the carton (Never opened) TMC toilet electric flush (Same as the one you have linked to) I can sell you for cheap (Say $100 instead of the $290 from Whittworth's).

I took the old one out and was going to replace it but since the Mr's and daughter never do more than day trips and I'm happy to hang my butt over the edge then I decided I didn't need it and use the space for a spare anchor / rode instead. Let me know if your interested...the old one worked fine (Same model) but had a few previous owner stains I wasn't happy with....no loops from memory just a sea-cock inlet / outlet which are are still installed just closed and blocked with silicon in case they get bumped open.

My boat is thankfully big enough for a cubicle but yeah I don't like those ones in the v birth. Only good when day tripping if sleeping you'd be over the back anyway rather than tear up beds with and audience etc. back of the boat quite private. and u can use the deckhose.

Septic portable toilets are far far gone man we have much advanced just use the portable toilets with the bio degradable bags, take a shit and toss it over board just keep the paper or buy something that breaks down fast, i have'nt checked how long it takes to break down the bags but would only be a couple days in salt water i would imagine so no pollution

I thought with new boats a holding tank was a requirement. or is it a size related thing.

Hi, if electric flush and holes are not your only option a lot of caravans and marine vessels are looking at compost toilets.
    Separates wet from solids, uses little to no water, smell as they say is non existant, clean fluid every 3-4 days, solids compost to a dirt and empty to a month a more from holding tank, by this time the solids are a like a dirt based compound, just place a new compost brick back in and go again apparently. That's their sale blurb anyway. Does use holding tanks and size may be an issue.
    Just a no hole in boat option, still has access and privacy issues as mentioned tho

Cheers
    Muz

Muzz access and privacy issues, the boys will be taking a crap on my front deck in the porta loo boat wide open centre console lol

Have a holding tank and has a blower with a built in compartment for chlorine so it is like a little bio septic system. I don't have any smell issues and once treated it is discharged. There is quite a few regulations as to where you can discharge raw sewage these days. In open ocean you can discharge untreated sewage and regulations explain pretty well what the requirements are.The system is plumbed up so it can either be discharged directly overboard or to the holding tank. So far it's been a good little system and was installed in the boat when I purchased and was a little concerned it would smell but pretty impressed with it. As myusernam I have a separate head which make life easier for the ladies.

Thanks guys ..plenty to ponder there...

I really dont want to be carrying crap around in a holding tank and provided you are not in a marina and more than 1 km from the reef..() then you can discharge the crap....

may even take Gazza's advise with a bucket and a paper bag and just hunker down up front of the centre cab...

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    I have a brand new in the carton (Never opened) TMC toilet electric flush (Same as the one you have linked to) I can sell you for cheap (Say $100 instead of the $290 from Whittworth's).

I don't suppose you are in FNQ..?