Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tow vehicle - 2.5 ton $6 to $10K

Re: Tow vehicle - 2.5 ton $6 to $10K

If your happy with internal and external condition of your Patrol and happy with the condition of the drive-train then the answer is a no-brainer.

Replace or rebuild your motor.

Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Are the jeeps a ladder chassis, or unitary (car-type) body? Car type bodies are usually difficult to get a good towbar mount to, hence their low rating. On another note, the same RAC recovery man up here says that Grand Cherokees are his best customers for 4wd recovery scenarios--owners keep confusing the ability to tow 3.5 to with actually off-road ability. had to drag a neighbour's visitor off the beach here once, driving a Cherokee, same scenario.
    Ranmar,
    Yep uni type chassis, mine is 2004 model, 2001-2004 models had the chassis strengthened in cooperation with Porsche and used 70% high strength steel for the underbody, then they changed to different chassis in 2005 model, shared with Mercedes ML/W166 series.
    I don't deny that many GC's have been bogged as the bigger ones are heavy, but a hugely high percentage of any 4wd getting bogged is either driver error or setup, tyre pressure etc. I've snatched many models over the years with the Maverick on the beach, including a Jeep :-)
    I believe the Wranglers may be ladder chassis, the 2019 Rubicon Wrangler is by all reports
    Cheers
    Muz

2001-2004 - In addition to Jeep's UniFrame construction, Daimler Chrysler partnered with Porsche to further strengthen the frame.[citation needed] This was done to reduce Noise Vibration Harshness (NVH). UniFrame is an unusual construction scheme, it incorporates all of the strength and durability of a body-on-frame construction into a unitized construction. By adding stiffness and rigidity to the structure, they enhanced the ride and strengthened the network of steel beams, rails and pillars (or "safety cage") that surround and protect occupants. More than 70 percent of the underbody is high-strength steel. All Jeep Grand Cherokees feature UniFrame construction.

2011 – present - Like previous generations, the WK2 Grand Cherokee chassis is a steel unibody. Unlike previous generations, it features four-wheel independent suspension for better on-road handling. The WK2 and 2011 Durango use a Chrysler designed and engineered platform/chassis that Mercedes-Benz later used for the Mercedes-Benz W166 series. The Chrysler designed platform was part of the DaimerChrysler engineering projects that were to launch the WK2 Grand Cherokee with the Mercedes-Benz ML to follow. However, due to the subsequent sale and bankruptcy of Chrysler, the Grand Cherokee launch was delayed and the ML launched before the Grand Cherokee.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    I don’t want to hijack this thread but I’m after 3.5t towing
    W164 Mercedes ML 320D. Get an '09+ update model. Still low k's and fully sorted.
    Beaut drive car, fabulous tow car (3,500kg) and VERY economical and very powerful.
    Replaced a S1 Disco diesel which in retrospect was not unlike a wheelbarrow towed by goats...
    I absolutely love the Benz.
    I found out that the BMW X5 can tow 3.5 ton if fitted with the correct tow bar.
    Australian delivered X5's have the light duty bar, biut the H/D item can be fitted through the dealer.
    We have both in the family, and I still much prefer the ML.
    If you're not pretentious enough to covet a Benz or a BMW, the Benz 3 litre V6 diesel drive train is also in the Jeep Grand Cherokee.