Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tow vehicle - 2.5 ton $6 to $10K

Tow vehicle - 2.5 ton $6 to $10K

Well the GU Patrol has died. All options are on the table at this point. Anyone running a cheap ass tow vehicle rated for up to 2.5 ton and doing it successfully? Ramp is only 10 k from home which really helps. Long highway runs not necessary. Not particularly fond of Nissan's at this point!

Re: Tow vehicle - 2.5 ton $6 to $10K

V8 (or petrol 6)100 series landcruiser, shorts trips OK, long trips, plan your trip according to service stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    V8 (or petrol 6)100 series landcruiser, shorts trips OK, long trips, plan your trip according to service stations.
    Yep, one of the first thoughts I had.

Hey mate was your GU petrol or diesel? I’m looking to buy tow vehicle myself and was considering 4.8l petrol GU as it has 3.5t tow capacity?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Not worth re-engining the Nissan? You could do that for what you are looking to spend on another cheap bus--fix your own problems rather than buying someone elses?

V8 (or petrol 6)100 series landcruiser, shorts trips OK, long trips, plan your trip according to service stations
    You won't be looking at a V8 cruiser for that sort of money, even a flogged out POS goes for stupid money, at least over here. A battered HZJ75 might be found for that sort of money, been 10 years now since they stopped making them. I've driven all of these a lot. Had to borrow a HZJ to deliver a boat to its new owner 375 k away, Nissan radiator sprung a leak on the day. The cruiser 6 certainly didn't tow as well as the Nissan. Only 1.5 tonne on the back, it was OK, but only that.

my GU 4.2T ( trayback, extended chassis) has now done 429,000, bought it with 292,000 approaching 10 years ago. Recently started thinking about a new vehicle--when my servicing mechanic( who is also the local RAC breakdown/towing contractor) found out, said I was insane--better to just keep the Nissan, for what I do. Which is long country runs and heavily loaded towing, often over very bad roads. If she does blow, and there are no indications of that, I can re-do the motor completely for $10K. He is, after all, the bloke who picks up all the broken 4wds from a very large slice of country and takes them to the nearest dealer.
    Pretty well any 4x4 will tow 2.5 tonne on a short run--even Hiluxes pre 2015 were rated for 2.5 t.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    Hey mate was your GU petrol or diesel? I’m looking to buy tow vehicle myself and was considering 4.8l petrol GU as it has 3.5t tow capacity?
    Heaps of power, pretty thirsty. Rugged bus. Lots of info here on the Patrol forum. https://www.patrol4x4.com/forums/nis...-gu-gr-y61.10/

You can take your pick of colours in 100 series petrols, hundreds of them for sale, some good condition, some tatty, but easy to find.

2.5 ton. Anything. I.just sold my TD 2011 190k dmax dual cab with aluminium wing door canopy, dual bats, water tank, black duck seat covers flash stereo full log books for 12k. Id be more inclined for a more modern dmax or ute than a worn out cruiser. Its also going to.be your daily driver? No need for dedicated or specific tow vehiecle.

I am looking around myself and have been looking at the td bmw x5, has a 2.7t tow rating.
    And comfort!
    Smile, It confuses people

I needed a new tow vehicle as well …

Didnt want to pay the Toyota tax so settled for a 2010 Pajero 180k Turbo diesel in great condition and full service history for 11.5k......not as robust as a patrol but a lot nicer to drive and really economical....it was owned by a older professional guy who had bought a new prado…..his missus cried in the driveway when I drove off with their baby...

G'day,
    Don;t discard a 4.7litre v8 Jeep if your just towing or don;t mind throwing a bit of fuel in.
    Mine doesn't know it has the 6m yellowfin on the back. Rated to 3 tonne
    Some people hate em but there are plenty for sale around $5 grand, going back to 2004 and
    most problems will have been be sorted, find one with service history, looked after and nice to drive as well.
    something like this will leave you plenty for fuel at $3400

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...6238836/?Cr=10

Cheers
    Muz

I don’t want to hijack this thread but I’m after 3.5t towing

Chev silverado
    I don’t want to hijack this thread but I’m after 3.5t towing
    Smile, It confuses people

Most 4 wheel drives will have a 2T 2.5T limit minimum, i have towed a Citroen Berlingo 250km's with my Nissan Xtrail 2004 little 2.5L petrol engine have towed a few cars, Barina, Lancer, 17 Foot Haines Hunter on a trailer on top of a trailer and filled with water the old exy struggled with that load but still done it

All be it a shit brand to work on Land Rover Discovery is a 5 cylinder turbo diesel with a 3500kg towing limit

ZD30 common rail. Oil pump let go. 190K. Was a great car up until Wednesday! Hills slowed it down but generally it got along really well. Towed the old boat and the camper all over Fraser with ease.