Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorguide xi5 80 or 105lbs on 6mtr Bluewater

Motorguide xi5 80 or 105lbs on 6mtr Bluewater

Hello, i am in the market for a Motorguide xi5 72' to use off shore mainly for anchor mode. I have a 6.0 Bluewater centre cab plate boat. The question i have is there anyone on here with a motorguide xi5 72' in either 80lbs or 105lbs and what size boat is it on and how does it handle offshore. Trying to work out if i need 24v or 36v; I understand more thrust is better (but if i don't need to spend the $1100 on the third battery id rather not). Any info on your set up would be much appreciated.

Re: Motorguide xi5 80 or 105lbs on 6mtr Bluewater

I am having the same dilemma ..

My 6.25 Centrecab Supervee (6.5LOA) new build will be ready to fit the motors in about a month.....I will be mainly using it for spotlocking offshore but sometimes also cruising over reef flats, maybe some slow trolling with the downrigger and occasional barra lure tossing..

The main advantages that I can see by going the 105lb is that the motor will not have to work as hard in adverse conditions and the max amp draw of 105 v 80 is 41 v 56....so the 105 will draw around 35% less amps than the smaller motor working flat out....in theory does that mean that the 3 battery bank will get at least 35% longer runtime...?

On the down side (apart from the weight and space issue) of an extra battery and an extra $250 for the bigger unit and after enquiring about Solarking LiFePo4 batteries yesterday I was told they will operate in a 12 or 24v system but not 36v....

I was ready to go with the 105lb system yesterday except for discovering that......I really dont want the weight of 3x 45kg AGMs ..

So I need to do some more research on lithium's and 36v systems....

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I am having the same dilemma ..

My 6.25 Centrecab Supervee (6.5LOA) new build will be ready to fit the motors in about a month.....I will be mainly using it for spotlocking offshore but sometimes also cruising over reef flats, maybe some slow trolling with the downrigger and occasional barra lure tossing..

The main advantages that I can see by going the 105lb is that the motor will not have to work as hard in adverse conditions and the max amp draw of 105 v 80 is 41 v 56....so the 105 will draw around 35% less amps than the smaller motor working flat out....in theory does that mean that the 3 battery bank will get at least 35% longer runtime...?

On the down side (apart from the weight and space issue) of an extra battery and an extra $250 for the bigger unit and after enquiring about Solarking LiFePo4 batteries yesterday I was told they will operate in a 12 or 24v system but not 36v....

I was ready to go with the 105lb system yesterday except for discovering that......I really dont want the weight of 3x 45kg AGMs ..

So I need to do some more research on lithium's and 36v systems....
    yes it is a dilemma. Enerdrive do a 36v at 37kg but it's $4990

Sent from my SM-G975F using Ausfish mobile app

A mate has imported a Rhodan from the US to put on his new 7.8 Riptide. will be interesting to see how it performs.

yeah that one is a bit more than I'm willing to spend for a 100AH battery..My battery budget is 3K max...…... I'd also prefer to do a bank of 12v if possible...

What are your thoughts on the 2 sizes for boats around our size...?

Dignity would that be a PITA if he needs service or parts...?..it does seem like the 2 horse race will soon become quite few competitors to MK and MG.....that can only be a good thing...

cheers Scott

well I bit the bullet 36v it is . I shall let you know what it is like

Sent from my SM-G975F using Ausfish mobile app

Bluewater65
    Interested in how you go thinking similar thoughts myself.

BigE

Maybe an option. They say up to 4 batteries in series? No special chargers required ? Worth a phone call

https://itechworld.com.au/products/1...ithium-battery

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Maybe an option. They say up to 4 batteries in series? No special chargers required ? Worth a phone call

https://itechworld.com.au/products/1...ithium-battery
    Cheers mate ..will ring them tomorrow..

ok so those Itechs that scott linked to seems to fit the bill...……..

but how is everyone charging them and how can I wire them up so I don't have to be unbolting battery leads every time to charge with a 12v charger..?

Easiest ways would be a triple bank charger designed for trolling motor batteries - the outputs are isolated so they can simply be hooked up permanently - all you do is plug them in, or a 36 volt charger. I would talk to the techs at Itechworld and see if they have a recommendation. Main thing will be finding a charger that stays within the maximum charge voltage and current ratings

I think for now I'll just use a 12v charger realising that it will be a PITA …

My 36v Husqvarna charger lasted less than 2 years so I'm not keen to put over $700 into one for these batteries...

I think I'd rather put the money into a solar system on the boat and leave the boat outside for a couple of days to charge them up...

http://www.enerdrive.com.au/product/...ic650-charger/

This is what I used. 8 of them to get to 24v, you would need 12 for 36v. I found them easier to mount because of their size. Total weight 28.8kg.

https://www.evworks.com.au/calb-ca100

TMC

I think for now I'll just use a 12v charger realising that it will be a PITA …

My 36v Husqvarna charger lasted less than 2 years so I'm not keen to put over $700 into one for these batteries...

I think I'd rather put the money into a solar system on the boat and leave the boat outside for a couple of days to charge them up...

http://www.enerdrive.com.au/product/...ic650-charger/
    You could use anderson plugs to make using the 12 volt charger a little more user friendly - just need to make sure you plug into the right one when charging. Only drawback will be tripple the charging time or needing 3 chargers if you need to charge up quicker.

ok so those Itechs that scott linked to seems to fit the bill...……..

but how is everyone charging them and how can I wire them up so I don't have to be unbolting battery leads every time to charge with a 12v charger..?
    My Lithium battery set up for my electric motor consists of 2 x 100amp Fusion LiFePO4 batteries which are linked (negative) via an Andersson plug
    Each battery has their own dedicated Victron Bluesmart charger (12/25amp) with a 30amp breaker - the chargers are permanently mounted & hardwired .

Charging involves disconnecting the Andersson plug / setting the 2 breakers & connecting the chargers to mains power / or generator .

Now you can leave the power on permanently - as the chargers will go into storage mode or turn off the power once charged . This is where the breakers serve another purpose - Turning off the breakers after charging stops any discharge ……. The chargers do draw a little power (0.5amps) when not in use .

So all up - you would be looking at $2000 for 2 batteries + $500-$600 for 2 chargers & $80 for 2 breakers

This system is working quite well for me - it's neat & fast to set up (30 seconds)

I do like the Victron chargers (IP67 rated) & Bluetooth - so the app lets you see what state the battery charging is at for each battery - It's also how you set up the charger (type of battery & charge rate)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO