Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tiller steer questions

tiller steer questions

Hello all,
    its been a long time! I have recently bought myself a replacement tinny ( well actually fiberglass), tiller steer. It is powered by a Yamaha 25hp and the steering dont feel right. I first thought it is too stiff so i played around with the tension bolt and got it where i like it but once on the water and under power, when turning to the starboard side, i need to fight the boat to get it back on a straight line, its like it wants to keep going left. I have noticed the trim tab or anode is not in a straight line, is this where I should start trouble shooting....?
    Thanks !
    Jewie..

Re: tiller steer questions

The little fin will not be straight, it's all a compromise and it's normal to be hard to steer one way, the tab has to be adjusted so at normal cruise speed, the motor is kind of neutral, not pulling hard one way, you never get it perfect, but you can get it pretty good. Get the tools tools required to adjust it and take it for a run and adjust as necessary, you need to remember the tab steers the motor, not the boat, so you need to think about which way to move.

Also helps to trim out a little, this can decrease the torque steer.

Ok,
    One thing is it feels good in a straight line, doesn’t seem to be pulling one way or another, it’s more under power, starting a turn left then it seems like it’s an effort to straighten up. Thanks for your input guys, I will try what you mentioned and see.
    Thanks again boys
    Jewie

Could possibly be the motor is too low, creating too much drag?
    Is the cavitation plate level with the keel, if it's lower, try raising it!

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    Could possibly be the motor is too low, creating too much drag?
    Is the cavitation plate level with the keel, if it's lower, try raising it!
    Ericcs is right, had the same trouble with a forward control, was actually dangerous. Lifted the motor and it's a totally different boat.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

I had a quick look this morning and it is pretty level to the bottom of the boat, only out by about a cm.? on the attached photo, what does the bolt in the middle of the shot do....? As my steering was stiff, a had a mate suggest this bolt will loosen the steering and loosened it a turn or two, Now knowing it has nothing to do with it curious to know what the stainless bolt actually does at it may not be in its original position....
    Jewie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    I had a quick look this morning and it is pretty level to the bottom of the boat, only out by about a cm.? on the attached photo, what does the bolt in the middle of the shot do....? As my steering was stiff, a had a mate suggest this bolt will loosen the steering and loosened it a turn or two, Now knowing it has nothing to do with it curious to know what the stainless bolt actually does at it may not be in its original position....
    Jewie
    If it swings freely on the trailer, that won't be the problem. If the motor isn't bolted down, loosen the clamps lift up the motor a bit and stick a 25mm timber block under the transom bracket, then take it for a spin!

Cheers Ericcs,
    motor not bolted down so that will not be hard to try and see what difference it makes. Never the less, I am wanting to know the purpose of the stainless bolt in the middle does as it has been adjusted....
    any ideas .....?

Ok,
    One thing is it feels good in a straight line, doesn’t seem to be pulling one way or another, it’s more under power, starting a turn left then it seems like it’s an effort to straighten up. Thanks for your input guys, I will try what you mentioned and see.
    Thanks again boys
    Jewie
    If it's OK in a straight line the fin is set OK, don't know what that bolt is for, the photo is too close, have a good look and see what it looks like it's connected to, might be for cable steering connection?

Just looked at the picture again, not for steering connection by the looks of it.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

... when turning to the starboard side, i need to fight the boat to get it back on a straight line, its like it wants to keep going left. ....
    Assuming you are using your left arm to operate the tiller arm? ... So, sitting on the right side, starboard side of the boat... do you mean you're pulling the tiller toward you, so pulling to starboard (right) with the tiller handle?

But, then, it's hard to get back to go straight, so you are then pushing the tiller arm away from you?

Correct mate.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

As others have suggested then, the height or trim could be wrong. But, IME, it's usually the motor is not centred on the keel line and the anode fin is not aligned correct.

Unless it's a old hull, or a long shaft, sitting the motor onto the stern sets the depth for the ventilation (aka Cavitation) plate in line with the bottom of the hull just fine.

Not sure if it's manual or electric trim, but, either way unless way out, linked with the motor mounted too high, it's hardly going influence like you describe.

The anode fin or alignment to centre of the hull is highly likely as the cause.

Start with the alignment. Get a straight edge and put it on the keel and see how it lined up to the motor. Looking down the boat from stern to bow and vice versa will give you a visual, but a straight edge is best.

Then adjust the anode fin.

What hull is it?

Motor too low