Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tiller steer questions

Re: tiller steer questions

Let's say you're driving along at 20 Knots in flat water with no wind and you relax your grip on the tiller does it run straight?

Don't forget about the pictures, at least one from the side showing the AV plate against the transom & keel plus one from the back taken from down low to give us a general idea.

While you're out there have a look under the hull at the rear for any dents or hooking.

Fed,
    It did on the first couple of runs and it seemed to run straight but i am unsure exactly as only been out a few times and the motor tension was up real tight at the time, but i have backed off the tension bolt to loosen it up a bit so will have a better idea once I head out over the weekend. Its a fiberglass hull and no dents or hooking as that is the first thing i checked out before purchase, checked for any damage, cracking splits etc. didn't notice anything like that....I will take some photos this arvo if i get home before dark and post them up tomorrow....
    thanks for your input,
    Jewie

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    ... And as mentioned above, I reckon thats why the fin on the anode is at a pretty strange setting, trying to compensate....
    I think you're correct.

Off centre impact being "fixed" with anode adjustment.

Keen to hear how you go now ...

As for the tilt angle adjustment, being manual, and different transom angles, no hard and fast one or three notch hole setting ... But, IME, easiest way is to start at most extreme, take it for a run, bow should really push down at WOT. Move it up a notch, do another run, you'll notice bow does not go down as my much at WOT, do it again, and again until you've been through them all. Then pick the notch which has the bow 'just' pushing down at WOT, but at which as you back off to 'cruise' revs (aka 90% WOT) the bow lifts and it's just up and feels to be planing "comfortable" ... No tracking (ie hull wander due to bow down too much)... Once you get that 'notch' then revisit the fin anode to ensure best adjustment. Fin anode may need a slight adjustment again.

Few trips up and back on a river, pull up on sandbar and tweak the settings and you'll be set up in time.

IF none of that fixed it, check the leg of the motor isn't bent or twisted in the bottom section below the prop.

IF that's all ok, try lifting the motor a bit. But, watch the Cavitation (ventilation) when turning. You'll hear and feel it 'spin wheels' like doing a burnout in a car, but it will be the prop spinning in the water. Just back off the throttle until it 'grips' again.

Good luck.

Well took her out over the weekend and the change was huge. feels like a different boat when turning. Its a lot more sure of its self. Didn't need to raise motor, but now its centered all feels real good. I was very surprised that just by the motor being out by 1.5cm made it handle so bad. Just needed to play around with fin positioning on anode but only moved it a notch or two port side to get it right.
    Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. Although i did discover 2 cracked bung inserts. Noticed water in the boat while back at ramp so before pulling bungs, let it sit for a minute or two on the slope of the ramp to find 2 bungs leaking! Oh well, off to the the place that sells boat gear on the way home, a six pack and a hour or two removing years of old silicon and remove old bung sleeves due to them being cracked, whack in a couple of new ones and problem sorted, well, will know for sure next weekend......bring it on! (oh, Zero crabs in the Richmond for me this weekend, left them out all night, went back in the morning for one undersized male)
    Jewie.

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    Well took her out over the weekend and the change was huge. feels like a different boat when turning. Its a lot more sure of its self. Didn't need to raise motor, but now its centered all feels real good. I was very surprised that just by the motor being out by 1.5cm made it handle so bad. Just needed to play around with fin positioning on anode but only moved it a notch or two port side to get it right.
    Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. Although i did discover 2 cracked bung inserts. Noticed water in the boat while back at ramp so before pulling bungs, let it sit for a minute or two on the slope of the ramp to find 2 bungs leaking! Oh well, off to the the place that sells boat gear on the way home, a six pack and a hour or two removing years of old silicon and remove old bung sleeves due to them being cracked, whack in a couple of new ones and problem sorted, well, will know for sure next weekend......bring it on! (oh, Zero crabs in the Richmond for me this weekend, left them out all night, went back in the morning for one undersized male)
    Jewie.
    Awesome re the handling, and yep, if motor not centred it can be a dog!

Re the bungs. It's a fibreglass hull, yeah? Did you check the timber in the transom when you had the old bungs out? If cracked and leaking sitting on the angle of the ramp, I'd be thinking water ingress into the timber in the transom may have started. Did you pole around while you have the old ones out?

What hull is it? Make? Age?

AS for what hull it is ummmmmm Fibreglass and what year ummmmmmmm....Dunno . Sorry mate not much use to you but I will get some details. The boat is a Lakes Craft, made in Victoria. Pretty much all i know. Before i bought it i tried to get some info off the net but couldn't find much at all. It was a random buy and the price was very right so I took a punt and bought it. The transom has been rebuilt I know that much and is quite solid. A couple of photos attached but not good ones. There is a type of pod so to speak on the back with the motor set into the back. On the left and tight side of the motor are two storage areas with the bungs down the bottom. This is where I found the leaks and is not in contact with the transom. Its a unique type set up and will take a couple of better shots to explain. I took a complete gamble buying it as never had a fiberglass boat before, never heard of lakes craft but have had a couple of comments from people at ramps saying they are a good boat.......? I am completely unsure but just wanted something I can just go fishing, put the pots out in the river until I have room in my driveway and a bigger bank account to get what I really want....Only spent $1500 and its got a 25hp Yamaha on her which runs well so thought I couldnt loose....

IMG_0189.jpgIMG_0190.jpg

Great little estuary crabber!

A long shaft motor?

And, yep, never heard of the hull brand before.
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Have to say I didn't think being off centre was your problem,my money would've been on trim/height and compensating prop torque.