Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with Andersson Plugs (Minn Kota)

Issues with Andersson Plugs (Minn Kota)

Hi All

I'm just wondering if anyone else has issues with their power connections for their Minn Kota ? - Except for my very first Minn Kota which was connected via a flush mount OEM plug - All the others have used an Andersson connection .

For some unknown reason I keep having the plug corrode , go green & yucky …. even shorting with the hull . This has been with dealer fitted motors or my own installation and can occur very quickly ….. very first week with a brand new boat.
    I even tried using the Gold XT connectors …. which also failed.

Anyone else have this issue , know the reason why & have a solution ?

Appreciate your help

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Issues with Andersson Plugs (Minn Kota)

I donno much about electronics but have u tried some dielectric grease to stop the corrosion?

Sounds really strange Nagg. I have not noticed any corrosion with mine. I tinned the wires in using a MAP torch and heat shrink over the top but that shouldn't make any difference to the terminals themselves going green or not. Is there some residual current going tbrough ? Do you isolate the motor via a breaker or pull the plug apart when not in use?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I have been told not to bother with andersons because of those reason...…..

The shop has recommended 3 pin marine plugs...and tell me there is no comparison..

Not cheap, but I'm told you will only have to do it once..

12VBP PLUG 3 PIN MARINE 50AMP DC TAKES 6MM $48.90

If they are in a spot where they get wet, they are going to corrode. I give all mine a quick hit with lanolin periodically. I also wherever possible mount them up under the gunwale to give them protection.

Vasoline. Same Anderson plug for 13 yrs.I also use it on the foot pedal plug / connector.

These have been on top of the foredeck for 1.5 years and zero corrosion that would cause issues. They cop salt spray, salt water, road grime, rain etc. Haven't touched them since I installed. Looks like one has a tiny bit of green.

Cheers

Ps. perhaps a squirt with Inox or corrosion X occasionally would be good insurance
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

If others are having no issues, it must be in your setup. things i would check are 1/ shorts to the boat( you dont say if its alloy or glass) 2/earth leakage, 3/ parasitic currents 4/ arking of contacts ie bad contact 5/ is the motor earthed to the boat? 6/ how is the trolling motor earthed?
    you have a few things to discover before we can suggest what the real problem is.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of ignorance around earthing and alloy boats so i am not surprised. My bet is thats where the problem lays.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I donno much about electronics but have u tried some dielectric grease to stop the corrosion?
    Gazza - that was the last thing I tried and still had issues

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Sounds really strange Nagg. I have not noticed any corrosion with mine. I tinned the wires in using a MAP torch and heat shrink over the top but that shouldn't make any difference to the terminals themselves going green or not. Is there some residual current going tbrough ? Do you isolate the motor via a breaker or pull the plug apart when not in use?

Cheers

There is a breaker in place ……..

OK generally speaking I don't disconnect the plugs (perhaps I should)

This has occurred on trips away where the boat has stayed in the water for a few days ….. by day 3 or 4 I can see that there is an issue .

I wouldn't have thought there would have been an issue & so quickly

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I have been told not to bother with andersons because of those reason...…..

The shop has recommended 3 pin marine plugs...and tell me there is no comparison..

Not cheap, but I'm told you will only have to do it once..

12VBP PLUG 3 PIN MARINE 50AMP DC TAKES 6MM $48.90

That's the style of plug that I originally had for my first boat with a minn kota - & I agree that it probably was the standout …. but still had to replace it but like 4 or 5 years .
    My next boat - they fitted Andersons & fixed them to the gunnels ( which I hated) This caused immediate grief .

My Barcrusher has the Andersson plugs but in a less exposed position …… but I've already replaced a set of plugs . Maybe when I get rid of my Seajay i'll try the 3 pin ( I currently use the minn kota on both boats)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    If they are in a spot where they get wet, they are going to corrode. I give all mine a quick hit with lanolin periodically. I also wherever possible mount them up under the gunwale to give them protection.
    sprays of all description , vasso , dielectric grease , silicone the back of the plug …….. things that I thought should have worked

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    Very interesting TMC

Are they available locally ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    If others are having no issues, it must be in your setup. things i would check are 1/ shorts to the boat( you dont say if its alloy or glass) 2/earth leakage, 3/ parasitic currents 4/ arking of contacts ie bad contact 5/ is the motor earthed to the boat? 6/ how is the trolling motor earthed?
    you have a few things to discover before we can suggest what the real problem is.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of ignorance around earthing and alloy boats so i am not surprised. My bet is thats where the problem lays.
    Hence why I asked the question

First up - the problem has occurred on 3 different boats - All aluminium.

now as these boats have had stand alone electric motor battery banks (either 12 or 24 volt) they have always used the battery terminals with no additional earthing with a breaker on the positive - All 3 boats have been set up by the dealer when fitting the MKs .

No issue with contacts or connections

I'll go out on a limb here but I'm pretty certain that the boats are earthed to the motor
    Is there leakage ? …… dunno …. how do you test for it ?

So how should an electric motor be set up with correct earthing

appreciate your comments

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO