Thread: New motor water test

New motor water test

With a water test where a dealer is water testing on a their new motor fitup what is the protocol with the owners participation..?

Is it acceptable for the owner to go along for the test ride...?

Do some dealers prefer to do it themselves..?

Also if the dealer and people at the prop company have never fitted up a particular motor to a hull type/size before is it unreasonable to request several props be tested during the water test before making an actual decision if the owner is willing to pay for the others to be sent back..?..

Re: New motor water test

A bit of everything here, most dealers would agree to you tagging along, some might not, be prepared for your brand new motor to get a "workout" they will test for max RPM, which might be painful for you, there should be no need to pay for extra props, it's the dealers responsibility to supply the motor functioning properly.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, at least with Mercury, you have access to props to exchange for water testing as long as the exchanges are sent back within 7 days each time. I don't know how this would work with Yamaha with their frankly ludicrous run-in procedure, AKA how to glaze bores on a brand new motor. If you have to keep under 2000rpm for 2 hrs??? FFS, I couldn't believe this when a mate recently bought a new 130. Nothing will plane at 2000 rpm, we are meant to a) either idle around for two hrs, or b) push a wake around for two hrs, or c) a mixture of both. Then further limitations. With modern operating tolerances, make sure it has oil pressure and water flow, run it slow for a short while checking functions, then a quick burst to max revs for prop check. Repeat as necessary.
    Standard response from Yamaha, apparently, in the US, to a complaint about engines making oil? (Common with larger ones) --"run it harder for a while" . Is that so I can deglaze the bores you have made me glaze with your ridiculous initial procedure ?

The company I worked for it wasn’t permitted due to insurance reasons. All new motors are tested to ensure max rated rpm is reached and sustained for min of 5 seconds

Disorderly if u look thru owners manuals or it may be a work shop manual i cannot remember which one but in the propeller section it has grades say a 15 pitch will run at 6000rpm a lesser 14 pitch will increase rpm by 250 etc... they have calculations for pitch and diameters in the manuals i think shops would use this princible to fine tune a prop for your hull and save time testing

Ausfish Platinum Member

One thing to remember with props--sticking with the same make and design will let you play with pitch and diameter, but, if you start using a different design and make, the nominally identical dimensions can give very different result. If you are staying with a baseline, carry on.

Like I said on Facebook, my dealer turned up at the ramp with a load of props and a laptop. My wife, kids and dealer then proceeded to do the prop testing then drove around grinning like idiots enjoying the ride once we'd sorted it. I got great service and I'm very happy.

Your boat, your motor, you're the bloke paying the bill. If you want to ride along for the prop test then that's what happens.