Looking at going to Yamba

I have two questions:
    1. What is the fishing like at Xmas time
    2. Is the a fishing charter that concentrates on estuary fishing

thanks
    Ken

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

Re: Looking at going to Yamba

As a resident of Yamba and keen fisho I would say the fishing is generally pretty good at Xmas time if you are heading offshore as the pelagics start making an appearance and there is always a feed of snapper and other bottom fish around. As far as the estuary is concerned it may be OK but generally of late it has been pretty quiet. Unfortunately there is a lot of commercial fishing in the estuary which has impacted catches however near the bar and along the middle wall there is usually fish to be found with lures and livies. There are a couple of charter operators here but the focus on offshore fishing. There used to be a estuary fishing charter but I am not sure if they are still operating.

Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    As a resident of Yamba and keen fisho I would say the fishing is generally pretty good at Xmas time if you are heading offshore as the pelagics start making an appearance and there is always a feed of snapper and other bottom fish around. As far as the estuary is concerned it may be OK but generally of late it has been pretty quiet. Unfortunately there is a lot of commercial fishing in the estuary which has impacted catches however near the bar and along the middle wall there is usually fish to be found with lures and livies. There are a couple of charter operators here but the focus on offshore fishing. There used to be a estuary fishing charter but I am not sure if they are still operating.
    I guess there was no buy out on that river when they introduced licenses. Is that open slather on the entire river. I thought I remembered that the Richmond had certain sections closed. Not there though?

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

There is certainly closed areas for the pro's and their nets but as I see all to often it is easy to run a net around these and get a big catch of flatty's, mullet and bream leaving little left in the rec areas. Also there is a lot of recreational fishing in this system and I guess this will get bigger as the town expands and more tourists arrive. My feeling is that the river needs a break from all fishing for a few years to recover the whole food chain, I am sure this would affect offshore fishing as well.

Yamba is Nice but , but Iluka has it all landbased for this little dicky fishingwise ..