Classifieds

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 91
  1. #76

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    It really is amazing how far social engineering has come ..... it is almost a repent for your sins session.

    BigE
    Maybe it is …… or maybe it's a case of seeing the mistakes of the past & equating our fishing practices past and present as to why we cant match the results of the past ……
    I guess it can be pretty easy to keep the blinkers on & go on fishing and not worry about the future …….. We've been pretty good at doing that.

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  2. #77

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    But Japan has a real problem with an aging population - something like 1/4 of the population is aged over 65 & as it has a low birth rate and is pretty well a mono cultural society they have a big big problem .

    Chris
    Well you haven't said what the 'big problem' is. They have 2.4% unemployment, excellent infrastructure and like I said respectable per capita GDP growth (higher than ours). What's not to like about that?

    And we are a long way off the Japanese situation with a much higher fertility rate and mass immigration as well. Even if we had zero NOM our population would still grow for a couple of decades before stabilising and going into a slow decline.

  3. #78

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    I used to fish the bay islands a lot for snapper using 4kg braid and plastics, very exciting times and some great catches, one was a 70cm snap on 2 kg braid, sadly my last 5 trips out after snapper have yielded not one single snapper big or small, as I tell people, you can only eat them once.

  4. #79

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    So, why is there so many in NZ, big numbers taken to send over to us to eat, similar latitude and water, high number of pros and poachers (so I have read) yet Snapper are plentiful!

  5. #80
    Ausfish Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    So, why is there so many in NZ, big numbers taken to send over to us to eat, similar latitude and water, high number of pros and poachers (so I have read) yet Snapper are plentiful!
    Unlike the slow growing orange roughy that was pretty much decimated, not sure if it made a comeback after the ban, I’ve seen photos of massive boats with gunnel at waterline due to the weight of the haul


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

  6. #81

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Well you haven't said what the 'big problem' is. They have 2.4% unemployment, excellent infrastructure and like I said respectable per capita GDP growth (higher than ours). What's not to like about that?

    And we are a long way off the Japanese situation with a much higher fertility rate and mass immigration as well. Even if we had zero NOM our population would still grow for a couple of decades before stabilising and going into a slow decline.
    Gee … I thought I made it quite clear

    LOW BIRTH RATE
    MONO CULTURAL SOCIETY ….. ( Limited Immigration)
    POPULATION over 65 (25%)

    …...... Dng Ding Ding Ding ....... we have a problem Houston !!!!!!!!

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  7. #82

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    So, why is there so many in NZ, big numbers taken to send over to us to eat, similar latitude and water, high number of pros and poachers (so I have read) yet Snapper are plentiful!
    Chalk & Cheese …… population

    NZ is Auckland centric …… 25% live there

    The Hauraki Gulf (Auckland) is massive …….. you couldn't drive it via boat in a day .

    Once you get out of Auckland - the population thins out big time ……….. no big regional centres in the north Island like a Brisbane , Newcastle , Wollongong etc

    Chris;
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  8. #83

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    May be all the Victorians have moved in and filled there freezers like they do up in the gulf to take home and sell, the snapper were so thick there in SA I've seen them catching them on spanners with trebles on them on I Fish.

  9. #84

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    what we have now .....is as good as it has ever been for almost everything in life. i would never go backwards to the "good?old days"

    BigE

  10. #85

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Gee … I thought I made it quite clear

    LOW BIRTH RATE
    MONO CULTURAL SOCIETY ….. ( Limited Immigration)
    POPULATION over 65 (25%)

    …...... Dng Ding Ding Ding ....... we have a problem Houston !!!!!!!!

    Chris
    You have just bypassed my points that things on the ground are actually quite good. Also being a monoculture is not actually a problem.

    You are just regurgitating media reports that Japan is some sort of basket case with zero insight or knowledge on your part.

  11. #86

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    You have just bypassed my points that things on the ground are actually quite good. Also being a monoculture is not actually a problem.

    You are just regurgitating media reports that Japan is some sort of basket case with zero insight or knowledge on your part.
    I'm not regurgitating anything - I'm stating some well known facts about Japan

    So - how is there not a problem when less people will be employed as more retire , a low birth rate …… less people will be working. And very little in the way of immigration to boost the workforce , population etc - even the solvency of the public pension plan is a concern & why they will be raising their tax's . Government debt is huge as government spending has been keeping growth to a modest 1.5% ( thereabouts)
    What I am talking about is where things are heading - but if you do a little bit of research you'll see that over the past few months things are less rosy than they were earlier this year .
    But we are off topic here.

    chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  12. #87

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I'm not regurgitating anything - I'm stating some well known facts about Japan

    So - how is there not a problem when less people will be employed as more retire , a low birth rate …… less people will be working. And very little in the way of immigration to boost the workforce , population etc - even the solvency of the public pension plan is a concern & why they will be raising their tax's . Government debt is huge as government spending has been keeping growth to a modest 1.5% ( thereabouts)
    What I am talking about is where things are heading - but if you do a little bit of research you'll see that over the past few months things are less rosy than they were earlier this year .
    But we are off topic here.

    chris
    There overall debt is not that large at about 60% of GDP. And the latest news is GDP grew by 0.4% which beat expectations and is better than we are doing when you factor in population growth (we are in per capita recession).

    Also you are shape shifting - I didn't say there was 'no problem', just that an ageing population is not a 'big problem' as you described it. It's just a challenge which they can easily manage. And you don't seem to have realised that with 127 million living on two relatively small islands they are overpopulated and further population growth would be a pretty dumb way to grow the economy. In any case any effect on the age structure from immigration is small and temporary for the simple reason that immigrants will age too.


    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion.../#.XVUBffZuK1t

  13. #88

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Yeah so anyway...worried about declining stocks? Simple - drastically reduce bag limits.
    Rec vs Pro ? Well if you take more than you need to feed your immediate family that day, you are not a Rec.
    Rec's go to enjoy a day out and just enjoy being there.
    If you go to fill a freezer and feed the neighbors and their cat, you are a Pro.
    Take what you need and only that.

    Probably making few friends here on a forum that regularly displays dozens of fish spread out in someone's backyard...which is ironic alongside this thread.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  14. #89

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    I thought the stocks were on the rebound after they stopped scallop dredging so what's happened since then ,there bag limits down there are not over the top.

  15. #90

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    There overall debt is not that large at about 60% of GDP. And the latest news is GDP grew by 0.4% which beat expectations and is better than we are doing when you factor in population growth (we are in per capita recession).

    Also you are shape shifting - I didn't say there was 'no problem', just that an ageing population is not a 'big problem' as you described it. It's just a challenge which they can easily manage. And you don't seem to have realised that with 127 million living on two relatively small islands they are overpopulated and further population growth would be a pretty dumb way to grow the economy. In any case any effect on the age structure from immigration is small and temporary for the simple reason that immigrants will age too.


    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion.../#.XVUBffZuK1t
    Sorry Billfisher but where are you getting your figures from ?
    japan has had government debt to GDP ration of in excess of 100% for nearly the last 4 decades ……… today it sits at over 250% - it's over double the US - you really do need to check your figures

    As for a challenge that they can easily manage …… really ?

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us