Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

Fellas,

Just read on the ABC app that South Australia is considering a three year ban on snapper fishing. Worth a read. Thoughts?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-0...shing/11393520

Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

There is "debates" going on just about every boating/fishing forum in every state, whether it gets implemented or not is anyone's guess, most deny that rec fishers catch many fish, but in reality, their catch is signicant, 40% is mentioned, if a "total" ban is employed, there will be a riot, then the rec V pro arguments will start, recs will whinge and whine, pros will stand firm with documented catch data, and there will be a compromise (in my opinion)

I hate to say it ...... BUT ! Commercial fishing is yet again the problem ! .

Each & every time that the Commercial fisheries are shut down ( or highly regulated) there is a corresponding improvement in fish stocks. NT Barramundi , NSW Kingfish , Tasmanian Orange Roughy , NSW & Vic Southern Bluefin Tuna immediately come to mind .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I can't say that pros are entirely to blame, note that "we" catch nearly half the fish total! Kingfish in NSW have not exactly made a comeback, it's been years since the traps were banned, and you still struggle to catch a legal sized fish, don't get me wrong, I do agree to an extent, but, the "blame" needs to be spread across all areas.

Closing a fishery for a period of time achieves very little in the long term,I'm sure there's an obvious reason fisheries aren't all closed during their particular spawning run?

I think what might happen is there will be some sort of ban to allow stocks to recoup, then much stricter bag and size limits (maybe a slot limit) and a reduced pro quota to help sustain the stock, the data shows stocks depleted by 87%, now, even if it's "fudged" a bit, that's pretty dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I can't say that pros are entirely to blame, note that "we" catch nearly half the fish total! Kingfish in NSW have not exactly made a comeback, it's been years since the traps were banned, and you still struggle to catch a legal sized fish, don't get me wrong, I do agree to an extent, but, the "blame" needs to be spread across all areas.
    Hi Noel

Agree that the Rec fishers play their part …… but 60% of the catch is done commercially - How many times more rec fishes are out there ?.

As for Kingfish …… there has been a significant recovery in numbers - however the size is a problem . This is where the regulations get it wrong . Kingfish reach sexual maturity at approx. 75cm & yet here in NSW the minimum is 65cm - WTF
    the same crap happened with the Jewfish …… for years they had a stupid minimum of 45cm then raised it to 70cm which is still problematic as females reach maturity between 70-80cm .

Regulations need to be set around breeding size to allow for future recruitment - while ever we allow the taking of juvenile fish we will have a problem
    Snapper - here in NSW we have a 30cm min …… yeh ok , they start to reach maturity at 28cm but realistically it might be closer to 40cm ….. There will be a problem

As for SA - their Snapper regulations seem to be much more aligned with the science with a minimum size of 38cm & a reasonable bag & slot limit……. but clearly that isn't working.

Chris

k
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    There is "debates" going on just about every boating/fishing forum in every state, whether it gets implemented or not is anyone's guess, most deny that rec fishers catch many fish, but in reality, their catch is signicant, 40% is mentioned, if a "total" ban is employed, there will be a riot, then the rec V pro arguments will start, recs will whinge and whine, pros will stand firm with documented catch data, and there will be a compromise (in my opinion)
    I’d like to see a 3 year ban on all snapper fishing for 3 years along the whole east coast aswell,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I hate to say it ...... BUT ! Commercial fishing is yet again the problem ! .

Each & every time that the Commercial fisheries are shut down ( or highly regulated) there is a corresponding improvement in fish stocks. NT Barramundi , NSW Kingfish , Tasmanian Orange Roughy , NSW & Vic Southern Bluefin Tuna immediately come to mind .

Chris
    Fitzroy river is a good example, still have mates living there that are sick of catching Barra and mainly target threadies now! The amount of tourism it’s brought into town and the dollars apparently is quite visible aswell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Storm in a tea cup ..... bit like the latte drinkers who thought they would tell the NQ people what jobs they could and couldn't have , well a 20% primary vote resolved that issue petty quick.
    I would suggest it would a brave pollie who back themselves in to ban snappa fishing they must be polling greenpeace as their focus group again.

BigE

Typical political smokescreen for fisheries most likely. Propose something that will get everyone up in arms and then negotiate back to what you really wanted to start with, making yourself out to be good guys along the way for compromising.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Typical political smokescreen for fisheries most likely. Propose something that will get everyone up in arms and then negotiate back to what you really wanted to start with, making yourself out to be good guys along the way for compromising.
    maybe ....maybe not
    however they appear to have a problem and they need a solution. The last thing anyone needs is to ignore the problem ..

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having grown up in Glenelg South Australia and fished the artificial reefs off Glenelg, Yorke peninsula, Eyre peninsula etc I find it hard to believe rec fishers are the problem down there.

Even now having lived in SEQ for the past 20 years and seeing the growth difference in population compared to SA, it’s difficult to see how the rec fishos are the issue.
    I head down most Xmas’s and this year we were blessed with great weather and I fished with family at Glenelg artificial’s and there were only a handful of boats.
    If that same weather was here in Moreton bay, say mud island or Curtain artificial I can understand with the rec population maybe a contributing factor.

The last thing I’d say is, in SA, the coastline is far more exposed to the elements and don’t have the luxury of protected bays like Port Phillip and Moreton so days for trailer boat rec fishos are fewer and far between compared to SEQ for example.
    I’m no anti-pro fisho but 87% decline without the growth population has me believing the issue is with commercial fishing. All in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Having grown up in Glenelg South Australia and fished the artificial reefs off Glenelg, Yorke peninsula, Eyre peninsula etc I find it hard to believe rec fishers are the problem down there.

Even now having lived in SEQ for the past 20 years and seeing the growth difference in population compared to SA, it’s difficult to see how the rec fishos are the issue.
    I head down most Xmas’s and this year we were blessed with great weather and I fished with family at Glenelg artificial’s and there were only a handful of boats.
    If that same weather was here in Moreton bay, say mud island or Curtain artificial I can understand with the rec population maybe a contributing factor.

The last thing I’d say is, in SA, the coastline is far more exposed to the elements and don’t have the luxury of protected bays like Port Phillip and Moreton so days for trailer boat rec fishos are fewer and far between compared to SEQ for example.
    I’m no anti-pro fisho but 87% decline without the growth population has me believing the issue is with commercial fishing. All in my opinion.
    Yep - that's pretty well how I came to the conclusion ……. You wouldn't think that the Spencer gulf would receive a lot of fishing pressure from trailer boat anglers ….. plus it is a vast area that makes Port Philip bay , Moreton Bay , Westernport look like puddles.

Even mentioning that there is an issue should raise eyebrows ….. because if these locations can collapse then what could happen in our own backyards.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Banning pros does not always work, sometimes it does, there are places near me that have been pro free for decades and don't fish any better than heavily pro fished areas, but then, there are places where pro fishing was fairly recently stopped, and fishing is great, but, in the time pros were banned, artificial reefs and so on were built, so perhaps that played a part too?