Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 91
  1. #31

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Someone said we can no longer afford to feed the World with our seafood without losing it for ouselves.
    Just need to see whats left overseas in a lot of Countries to understand it can happen here also.

  2. #32

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    That's another issue altogether, lots of our premium fish is exported, and financially, why not? places will pay silly prices for our produce, and we import their shit to compensate, is there any comparison to a (say) fresh reef fish to a Basa fillet? a fresh Mooloolaba King prawn to a farmed in a cess pool frozen shit from Thailand?

  3. #33

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    That's another issue altogether, lots of our premium fish is exported, and financially, why not? places will pay silly prices for our produce, and we import their shit to compensate, is there any comparison to a (say) fresh reef fish to a Basa fillet? a fresh Mooloolaba King prawn to a farmed in a cess pool frozen shit from Thailand?
    Whether it be another issue or not , we can no longer allow the practice if our resourses are starting to come under threat . Be it Pillies the food chain of the bigger species or other will be no good looking back in ten , twenty years and saying "Hindsight is a good thing " .
    Problem is evident ?? , nip it in the bud . Simple or should be ..

  4. #34

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    The Fitzroy River quote earlier on is a good example of what could be ??.

  5. #35

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    The Fitzroy River quote earlier on is a good example of what could be ??.
    Possibly, but it's not always the way.

  6. #36

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Possibly, but it's not always the way.
    If you mean it pushes the impact further down the line to the nearest unprotected waterway well maybe yes . My way of thinking and my way only is if the nursery and the foodchain is protected which is mostly Rivers and lakes (foodchain and breading grounds ) Well maybe a good start in the right direction get the numbers back up again.
    Limit the number of export to a level which is sustainable and if not then each look after their own back yard..
    Population says its not sustainable for starters .
    Fish that we once thought "F@%k That " is bringing in top dollar with some nationallities nowdays .
    All n good for those on the selling side , but too much removal of one or the other species plays a Huge role at the end of the chain.
    An example eg , remember as young fella weekends or leasure time for certain oldies down by the Beach and Rocks where a good side dish for the picnic to be sea urchins and chinamens hats scraped off the rocks . See how many close by there are now!!??..
    Just giving this as an example of how things we take for granted can dwindle or dissapear slowly if not checked .
    Black Jewie once brought in a very low resale dollar and still does for flesh but at $400 a kilo or thereabouts for the swim bladder makes it an attractable target hence quotas on what can be caught for resale.
    Personally i wouldnt give two bob for big Black jew to chew on as i think its too chewie and maybe because weve been spoilt up this neck of the woods with other species .
    Its a tough one and does need to be acted upon and sooner than later in my books me thinks and do think the food chain and nurseries is the first point of action...
    Mybe why so many sharks are comming in closer n closer nowadays for a stickybeak for whats available to chew on??...

  7. #37
    Ausfish Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    I'm not really a snappa fisherman , but my last snappa trip didn't indicate any issue with snappa numbers.

    FFS maybe some snowflakes just need to take some fishing lessons , only a millennial would expect that fish should find their boat jump in and fillet themselves.

    BigE
    Only a baby boomer would think that “hey I still catch fish their is nothing wrong”


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

  8. #38

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Don’t waste your breath too much mate- the guy is incapable of lateral thought- not the first time I’ve seen his dribble.

    There are so many self centered people on this page that only worry about themselves and not the next generation. It’s pretty simple really- fish stocks are not on the up, our population is increasing along with fishing technology. I’m pretty sure no one can put their hand up to say target commercial species like snapper, red emperor etc are in prolific numbers compared to 5-10 years ago. Don’t have to be a genius to figure out what’s happening.

  9. #39

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    That's another issue altogether, lots of our premium fish is exported, and financially, why not? places will pay silly prices for our produce, and we import their shit to compensate, is there any comparison to a (say) fresh reef fish to a Basa fillet? a fresh Mooloolaba King prawn to a farmed in a cess pool frozen shit from Thailand?
    Sadly - Australians & particularly conservatives champion those that can go out and make a buck
    I'm not meaning to be political here but too often it is about how much money you can make & how fast ……. dig it out of the ground , harvest it , net it or chop it down ….. it's all a too familiar tune .
    Our seafood exports are worth well into the Billions …… and everyone wants a piece of it . …… eg Tuna locally sells at $40 / kg …… Japan x 20 ( minimum)

    But how do you tell a snapper fisherman that you can only make $10 / kg when he can sell it for double , triple , quadruple that .

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  10. #40

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    The interesting thing for me is how on fishing shows over the last few years they have said how good the snapper fish was in SA. Rec fishermen have size and bag limits similar to Qld, but also a seasonal closure.
    Commercial operators have a min size limit, seasonal closures and a total take limit. I dont think SA use fish traps as in NSW, its all done with hook and line.
    Banning all snapper fishing for 3 yrs will put more pressure on other species. Perhaps a 12 month total ban and then a reduction in the commercial operation would be better.
    Who knows but if its this bad they better go something before it's to late.


    Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Where are those videos filmed ?

    I can just about bet that they are not heading out of Port Noarlunga ……. they would be going out of more remote places like Arno Bay . No different than me being able to go and catch snapper in NSW - I still travel a few hours or more ……. & then quite a few Kms by sea if I want consistent results .

    chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  11. #41

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    I'm not really a snappa fisherman , but my last snappa trip didn't indicate any issue with snappa numbers.

    FFS maybe some snowflakes just need to take some fishing lessons , only a millennial would expect that fish should find their boat jump in and fillet themselves.

    BigE
    Millennials …… as opposed to logical thinking fisherman ?

    So where did you travel to & how far did you go to get these fish ……. I see that you will drag your boat well up the coast to get your results ……. I do the same

    But if you have to drive hundreds of Ks & run 50, 60 ,70 ks to get your fish then that indicates to me that there is a problem

    Just sayin

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  12. #42

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    A quick sniff around the literature shows the 2011/12 Snapper Stock assessment showed that record hauls were recorded and the biomass was sustainable and recreational fishos were worth 19% of the take. But now 7/8 years later it’s close to 40% and there’s a collapse on?

    i hope SA didn’t use the same muppets that did our joke of a Snapper stock assessment in 2006.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  13. #43

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Sadly - Australians & particularly conservatives champion those that can go out and make a buck
    I'm not meaning to be political here but too often it is about how much money you can make & how fast ……. dig it out of the ground , harvest it , net it or chop it down ….. it's all a too familiar tune .
    Our seafood exports are worth well into the Billions …… and everyone wants a piece of it . …… eg Tuna locally sells at $40 / kg …… Japan x 20 ( minimum)

    But how do you tell a snapper fisherman that you can only make $10 / kg when he can sell it for double , triple , quadruple that .

    Chris
    Im all for people making a buck, but when it comes to fisheries, the resource is everyone’s. Commercial fishing licences are given out so that Australians that don’t fish, can eat fish. Everyone is happy. When there is a sustainable excess of a species, by all means sell the extra overseas to make the extra bucks.

    But if it’s determined that restrictions are needed to maintain the viability of a stock then the first thing that should be cut is the exports.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  14. #44

    Re: S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    Don’t waste your breath too much mate- the guy is incapable of lateral thought- not the first time I’ve seen his dribble.

    There are so many self centered people on this page that only worry about themselves and not the next generation. It’s pretty simple really- fish stocks are not on the up, our population is increasing along with fishing technology. I’m pretty sure no one can put their hand up to say target commercial species like snapper, red emperor etc are in prolific numbers compared to 5-10 years ago. Don’t have to be a genius to figure out what’s happening.
    Prolific no but Snapper fishing in SEQ is definitely better than 10 years ago. I think all the restrictions that led to 35cm MLS and a bag of 5 has had a big Impact.

    You look at the issue too narrowly. Increased numbers and better tech but also consider we all operate on vastly stricter fishing regulations. Was it 25cm and a bag of 30 was the first restriction on Snapper way back in the day? 35cm and a bag of 5 is a vastly stronger restriction. No one will write it but since the decision to only allow one fish over 70cm (which I supported at one time). I’ve lost count of the times I’ve returned or had mates tell me they’ve had to return fish over 70cm back to the water because they already had their bag. At the depths most of those fish are found the mortality can’t be good even with a pierced swim bladder.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  15. #45

    S.A. considers 3 year ban on snapper fishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Someone said we can no longer afford to feed the World with our seafood without losing it for ouselves.
    Just need to see whats left overseas in a lot of Countries to understand it can happen here also.
    Absolutely Volvo. I just came back from a month in Italy and Croatia. The quality (I can only comment on what I actually saw) was very poor and I would be buying from the local fish monger. What I saw in one local fish market was below standard compared to us, but as a local you can only buy what is for sale.

    Can’t talk about fish mongers in Italy, but what saw served at the places I went was basic at it’s best.

    Once back home we went straight for a great I’d feed if seafood and a walk on a sandy beach. No sand where we went, beaches are stones and rocks.

    Had a fabulous holiday, but really missed sandy beaches and quality seafood


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us