Thread: One of those trips 4/08/19 Sunshine Coast

One of those trips 4/08/19 Sunshine Coast

We must leave home 4am for a 5am launch as we are only fishing till mid-day
    Bob “Ann wants the car so can you pick me up somewhere out of your way” OK
    Met at a servo not on the way and got him – okay only lost 15 minutes
    I could not find the boat keys anywhere!
    Back home and yep in a bucket in the garage another 15 minutes lost
    Fill with fuel and off to Mooloolaba
    2km from ramp and police lights everywhere
    The road is closed until 7.30am for a marathon – so how are we supposed to get to ramp?
    Go about on detour and they will let you cross somewhere
    Whilst talking to officer a guy runs up to car and says the boat trailer is leaving heaps of sparks from wheel – okay thanks
    Get around corner and look – the durahub is off the wheel and dry bearings have exploded.
    Get to servo and buy grease and WD40.
    Take 3 wrongs turns and get to road to cross marathon just as the 2000 runners arrive. Policeman says you guys are normally earlier than this – tell me about it
    Sit there for an hour watching a zoo run past including a skeleton, a couple of fairies along with punk rockers and butterflies.
    Finally launch 7.15am – only 2 and a half hours late
    Went offshore and weather was good
    Got a feed.
    Was dropping pillies, mullet and squid and they were not particular about any – they all got fish. We were dropping 3 dropper rigs with a different bait on each.
    The bigger pearlie I got was just over 60cm and 4kg.
    A few nice snapper in the mix.
    We had whales within 10m of boat at several times heading South and just being stickybeaks
    Had friendly dolphin in for a feed too as usual.
    Left at 12 noon.
    Tim stayed with boat at ramp whilst I went to fix trailer
    Went to Kawana Supercheap and got a big hammer and chisels – destroyed bearing was locked solid – got a bigger chisel and was really laying into it with 2lb hammer.
    Got a heat torch and combined it with WD40 to no avail. Got a bigger heat torch and eventually the bearing remnants left the stub-axle – all up just over one hour and 5 trips into shop from carpark and $150 😊
    I think we got off lightly.
    Will make up an emergency replacement kit to keep in car which will include the big hammer/chisels/blowtorch and spare bearings.
    Home by 5pm
    All up 13 hours away from home for 2 hours boat travel and 3 hours fishing.
    We got about 15 keepers
    The trip was still better than the trip I did a week prior for 200km on the water for not one fish just 7 green eye sharks
    Cheers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pearlie.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	119821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapper.jpg 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	119820Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	119822
    Cheers

Trev

Re: One of those trips 4/08/19 Sunshine Coast

Hey Trev

I give you a 10 for persistence mate . I would have sooked back home I reckon . That is gonna be a big breakdown kit to drag around . Always wondered how long an oil lubed bearing would last without any . Now we know .

Chris

Well it ended well with the good catch. Bummer about the journey there and afterwards. Hopefully trailer is ready and good for your next trip. Great Pearlie!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Ausfish mobile app

Talk about a trip with its highs and lows.

I live not far from Supa Cheap, would have been happy to help out with tools, labour etc. A bit hard to get communication out, explaining your distress though.

Sounds like one of my efforts but I would have thrown my toys out of the cot a long time ago, well done on your persistence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you did better than we did. We didn't get to the ramp till 9.30, planning on doing a good afternoon fish. Skipper got crook so we decided to call it a day. No fish but that's ok, there's always another day.

So where did you get the blow torch from.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Sounds like you did better than we did. We didn't get to the ramp till 9.30, planning on doing a good afternoon fish. Skipper got crook so we decided to call it a day. No fish but that's ok, there's always another day.

So where did you get the blow torch from.
    One of the two guys I took had been looking forward to this trip for years
    He couldn't go a few times due to last minute problems - he's 79yo so you make allowances
    Anyway got him along and made sure he took some pills - his preference quells
    I had him set-up with an electric I bought recently
    As soon as we get offshore he says he feels unwell
    He struggled for hours - didn't throw up but could not fish either
    Just kept saying "oh my God" "when will this end" - he will go into the records as a one trip wonder
    Had Bob set-up with this and Tim got to use it insteadClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Shimano Dendou 3000 Plays.JPG 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	119839

The blow-torch was in Supercheap $50 disposable butane canister
    https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...ch/366566.html
    Cheers

Trev

I hope in 10 years time people will make allowances for me, wait a minute I think they already do.
    We were going to give it another go Monday but the weather has closes in again. Trev were you in close or further out, seems lately I've been making the wrong call, trying in close when they're in deeper water and vice versa.

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Anther great trip well done
    “Filthy Oar”
    Stessl 5.3m centre console
    90hp Suzuki

I hope in 10 years time people will make allowances for me, wait a minute I think they already do.
    We were going to give it another go Monday but the weather has closes in again. Trev were you in close or further out, seems lately I've been making the wrong call, trying in close when they're in deeper water and vice versa.

Hey mate.
    We fished 60m on Wednesday, and they where chewing well.

Cheers
    Rob

Hi we are fishing >60m

I don't fish shallow <60m

Seem to be doing okay
    Cheers

Trev

Sounds like a typical moejoes trip... lol