Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Which new Garmin??

    Looking at adding a second sounder/chartplotter to replace the old GPSMAP 750s .
    Which ever option i go for it will be paired to an existing Garmin 7410 with a TM260 and a GT52 transducer.

    These are the options so far

    Add a GPSMAP 952xs use existing trans (about $1700)
    Add an ECHOMAP 105sv with a GT54 UHD trans (2800)
    Add a 8410xsv use existing trans (about $3400)
    Add a 7410xsv use existing trans ((about $3000)
    Add a GPSMAP 1022xsv use existing trans (about 2800)

    There is a fair spread in value and performance and i'm just not sure which way to jump.

    the 105sv with the UHD trans is probably best bang for buck i think.

    Any thoughts?

    BigE

  2. #2

    Re: Which new Garmin??

    Why a GT52? I just expected you'd be looking at a GT51 for offshore work.

  3. #3

    Re: Which new Garmin??

    have a re-read the transducers are already existing. yeah a GT51 or a GT54UHD would be a nice upgrade. dont see many combo packages that have them included.

    BigE

  4. #4

    Re: Which new Garmin??

    BigE, i looked at various garmin combinations and also mixed/matched with furuno, i ended up going with a twin pair of 7410's in the new rig, two tranny's high wide and medium both through hulls. It would be hard for me to go back to an unmatched set now with all the networking ease, consistencey in controlls etc you get from a matched pair, i probably came from a pretty clunky spot in the old rig with a gamin750 and a 588 but so flexible and easy having the 2 identical networked combo units in the new one. I'm running a reactor A/P and garmin radar, the whole package just a pleasure to use really. No complaints from me as yet.
    Scott

  5. #5

    Re: Which new Garmin??

    Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    have a re-read the transducers are already existing. yeah a GT51 or a GT54UHD would be a nice upgrade. dont see many combo packages that have them included.

    BigE
    Yep, with you now. Good way to save $.

  6. #6
    Ausfish Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kalbarri, WA

    Re: Which new Garmin??

    If you haven't used two compatible, same-generation MFD's networked together, you just do not know what you are missing. Period. Bloody old-style Furunos , and I say this with respect with no ability to trackback or place a mark on a spot on the screen you have already gone over, without the addition of some add-on, and associated complications---nowadays, they offer NO advantages for fish finding in the deepest of water. Sure if you want to save money and keep your old unit and run a new one alongside it, understood. But don't ever knock what a good multi-MFD system can do if you haven't actually operated one for a while. Just so simple and powerful a tool.
    if you are adding a second unit, make every effort to ensure it can be networked. I ran stand-alones for many years, separately and together, then went to combos, then to a network. Spent a year with duals and a network, then went out on a mates boat with the same combo I used to run. Had me wanting to put a hammer through it after half an hour.

  7. #7

    Re: Which new Garmin??

    Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Looking at adding a second sounder/chartplotter to replace the old GPSMAP 750s .
    Which ever option i go for it will be paired to an existing Garmin 7410 with a TM260 and a GT52 transducer.

    These are the options so far

    Add a GPSMAP 952xs use existing trans (about $1700)
    Add an ECHOMAP 105sv with a GT54 UHD trans (2800)
    Add a 8410xsv use existing trans (about $3400)
    Add a 7410xsv use existing trans ((about $3000)
    Add a GPSMAP 1022xsv use existing trans (about 2800)

    There is a fair spread in value and performance and i'm just not sure which way to jump.

    the 105sv with the UHD trans is probably best bang for buck i think.

    Any thoughts?

    BigE
    Where abouts are you fishing or type of fishing, what sort of boat too?

    Moose

    Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

  8. #8

    Re: Which new Garmin??

    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    Where abouts are you fishing or type of fishing, what sort of boat too?

    Moose
    All offshore fishing moose , anywhere from 25m right out to 120m , generally inshore for mackerel and snappa and deeper for reds and lippa and parrot. really like the 7410 and would like something that will network to it.

    BigE

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us