Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Whales and quíck release anchor systems

Re: Whales and quíck release anchor systems

Hey Morga, PM me your mobile number!

I have text you but I have about 4 different ones in my phone so good chance it went to the wrong one! haha

Can you posy ur vid of your whale experience, will silence any critics! hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Watto79 View Post
    Hey Morga, PM me your mobile number!

I have text you but I have about 4 different ones in my phone so good chance it went to the wrong one! haha

Can you posy ur vid of your whale experience, will silence any critics! hahahaha
    I'd like to see that.

Come close to hitting s few but still wondering whether those guys in the tinnie changed their shorts before they headed back in when the whale breached beside them right on sunset. It's gotten to the stage that sometimes you wonder if it's worth going out when there are so many around. May not be such a problem with the shutdown of snapper and pearl perch in mid July and August next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I'd like to see that.

Come close to hitting s few but still wondering whether those guys in the tinnie changed their shorts before they headed back in when the whale breached beside them right on sunset. It's gotten to the stage that sometimes you wonder if it's worth going out when there are so many around. May not be such a problem with the shutdown of snapper and pearl perch in mid July and August next year.
    Closest I've been to hitting one was coming back into Mooloolaba in the dark right in close - just a bit north of the entrance. Couldn't judge the distance but was close enough to block out the background lights with it's silhouette as it surfaced then sounded otherwise I wouldn't have even known it was there. Shat myself at 20 knots. We have had a pair of them come from under the boat at deep tempest and collect all four lines - you just look at the rods bent over with line screaming off and go faaaarrrrrrk. Had we been anchored that day it might have got messy.

I tried googling it a whale tangling in a anchor and sinking a boat nothing came up just links about whales tangled in nets

So i donno it could be a possibility anything can happen in life but im not finding any results that it has happend as of yet

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Gazza, just think the weight of a couple of sinking school busses tied to the front of your 5.5 meter tinny, what might happen? Now add a big ass tail to give speed and then smash around exerting forces on your boat that it was never designed to take. You are very lucky indeed if the rope breaks, if not, one of two things is going to happen. 1- you are pulled down and sink, 2 - the thing tears the front of your boat clean off...Oh and you sink!

I imagine it is extremely rare and I am not too fussed on theorising about barnacles or how else they hook your rope etc, fact is whales are inquisitive, they do tangle up, they do wrap the rope around their bodies, they don't always swim straight, they do breach and dive, and they do try very hard to get what has wrapped around them off. All the theory that it cant happen quickly disappears when it happens to you. I wish I still had the video of when I experienced this but it was on a phone which ironically now also sleeps with the fishes.

Reliance on Google is not necessarily going to get you all the facts. There are enough disappearances of boats and crews that do not have the circumstances surrounding them ever documented. I've been in the position several times where certain action has had to be taken to avoid disaster with them so I'll lean on the side of extreme caution when they are around.

Bugger Morga, that was some of the best footage for an edge of your seat moment I had and still have ever seen!

I also had another mate who hit one at about 50km an hour off yellow patch top of Moreton quite a few years back in his 6 odd metre Mustang..

Split the hull straight up the middle and he was lucky not to be killed, very badly bruised and battered and with quick thinking and a 250hp Suzi on the bum managed to get his boat to shore somehow!

Yep, I have been quite fortunate to have not been on board during either of these instances but have experienced plenty of close encounters over many years..

They are a monster of an animal and as Morga said very inquisitive and will scare you on numerous occasions if you fish offshore regularly enough esp during whale season!

Given what appears to be an increase in numbers the last few years, think we will hear about more similar to above in the not too distant future..

Good thread with a message to all, always expect the unexpected when out in your boat!!

Ausfish Silver Member

I don't see the correlation between anchor systems and hitting one.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    I do, they both end with the same predicament........misery!

It's all relative. You hitting them or them hitting you, watched one approach from 1km away heading for us on top of the water, never seen that behaviour before. It was like a submarine heading directly where we were drifting with a parachute over the side. Now the pundits tell me he would have dived before he got to us but possibly the shute would have gotten caught up and over we'd go. Better discretion was to pull in the shute, drive off about 20m and watch him plough on right through where we'd been.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    From what i have read whales have poor vision probably why they like us humans.. maybe they cant sense or see anchor ropes that is my conclusion

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

This year in August we were off Cape Moreton. Had 3 lines scream off at 2 different times and almost spool them in less than 20 seconds. We were bottom bashing and concluded it must have been whales. On both occasions we didn't see the whale but saw the telltale water disturbance from their tail on the surface. Saw heaps of whales that day. I was using my minn Kota and felt very relieved we weren't anchored. They certainly scare me and I am very cautious around them. The speed they pulled out lines made me think just how much damage they could potentially do if caught in an anchor rope. They certainly gold my respect and I won't be anchoring when they are around. I don't intend to hypothesize on what they can out can't do, just avoid the danger as the captain of the boat

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Ausfish mobile app