Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whales and quíck release anchor systems

Re: Whales and quíck release anchor systems

Thanks guys Ill keep thinking of how these quick release option can work. Ps anyone who thinks this Doesn't happen, isn't on the water enough in whale season No offence. Being prepared can save you life. I fish off Mooloolaba and see them every time and close every trip, they are thick thick thick. It's to the point now, I call it close when I can smell there breath

Minn Kota with spot lock works a treat

I fish locations in NSW where the migrating whales use certain places for reference points ( Tollgate Islands , Fish Rock , Broughton Island ) ……. so it's not uncommon to see 20-30 whales in close proximity during a session - so anchoring would be fraught with danger .

How quickly could you get to the rope to cut it ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

You could attempt to incorporate some sort of "weak link" in your anchoring set up using an anchoring clip but it will have the same short fall that anything but a knife will - you would have to make damn sure that there was no chance of the line tangling and fouling as it departs the vessel. Anchor line zipping over the front of a boat under considerable load is not something you want to have ANY chance of coming in contact with - if it throws a loop around a body part - it's gone or your gone - via the small gap under your bow rail if you have one - would not be pretty. At least with a knife you aren't trying to undo anything and once the line is cut you aren't worrying about line exiting under load. The Minn Kota option is a great one albeit expensive but it also presents other benefits.

Guys flame me for whatever reason some of you like to do but what about the whales? Me and my mates dont anchor at all in open ocean and especially if we are going to entangle a whale u may cut the boat free but that whale is likely still draging the anchor with its incrustations tangled in the rope on its tail

I love animals in general if its thay t big a consirn dont anchor

A while shouldnt breach under your boat lifting it up and out of the water like in cartoons they are a inquisitive harmless animal

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

A while shouldnt breach under your boat lifting it up and out of the water like in cartoons they are a inquisitive harmless animal
    Probably 10 years ago now, was anchored on the Barwon banks, happened to look over at a boat a few hundred metres away and saw this whale bob up, as if it was vertical in the water, appeared to be just a couple of metres from the boat. Looked like it was having a good look in the boat. Then it sank down and bobbed up again. I was glad to be a few hundred metres away, but would have been good to see close up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    Probably 10 years ago now, was anchored on the Barwon banks, happened to look over at a boat a few hundred metres away and saw this whale bob up, as if it was vertical in the water, appeared to be just a couple of metres from the boat. Looked like it was having a good look in the boat. Then it sank down and bobbed up again. I was glad to be a few hundred metres away, but would have been good to see close up.
    That is awesome Bremic i would love to see something like that whales are very friendly around humans and we are in there territory and migration route we often keep a keen eye out for whales not so worried about us or the boat but hitting one and hurting it would do a bit of damage to the whale

for us they haven't came that close we often see them jumping and just swimming which is a unreal sight to see

Have to say I've never been overly concerned about whales.Common practice around here is to slap the side of your boat when you see them.The only quick release for an anchor is a knife.......period.I've been on a boat in 'violent' situation and as been said before,short of a MOB or on board emergency,cutting the anchor can be the last thing on your mind.

………………………….

whale.jpg

Yeah they get pretty thick up here at times..a bit of a worry when fishing the inshore bait grounds as they seem to follow the same path as the mackeral…..we also get the dwarf Minkies which are incredibly curious and sociable critters...we mainly see them out wider around the reef....on one of my fave rocks about 55km's out for 2 years in a row on an overnighter during late July I had several Minkies spend 2-3 hours playing around and under the boat during the evening and night..the last time with a baby ...amazing critters ..we just continued fishing and they never even brushed the lines or anchor rope...…I think they wanted us to jump in with them....

Humpbacks though are scary big and not so manoeuvrable...…..My little staffy sure does love a day out whalewatching ….

And the buggers do sleep, often on top of the water, many times what looks like s lazy swell has been a sleeping whale. One morning we probably saw 20 over a few kms, I guess they needed their sleep after they kept us up all night. It's quite scary at times to go out on the duckbosrd around midnight after the call of nature to have one of them stick their nose up and have s look at you only a couple of metres away.

Out the gneerings last winter I was anchored up and there were a few whales passing by, as I was leaning over bringing the sinker and leader into the boat I see the white of a whale pass underneath, to put it lightly I bloody shit myself and never felt so small in a 20ft boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Thanks for the input team. I've put together some info for what I came up with and from some on this thread.
    Materials used.
    anchor & chain as usual, anchor bouy , 8 ml nylon cut away length, 2 to 4 meters , zippy ties to suit 2 nd anchor line float.
    procedure.
    Anchor down, once held fast, create a loop near to bow in anchor line , be shore to deploy anchor ball, from here create loop , attach light 8 ml nylon length , run through bow roller and secure through to hard top or somewhere with easy access in the cockpit, (i attached to hard top frame)attack knife close to cut away line, roll up the rest of your anchor line tie with zippy ties and attach 2 nd float and throw over board.in case of emergcey simply slice cutaway line, all will clear the boat quickly without fowling. Hopefully the anchor line will free and the bouy will come back to the surface along with anchor 🤞🤞
    ps I hope I never have to slice the rope😂😂😂

You will want to make sure your hard top is up to the job

Quote Originally Posted by mick.j View Post
    Thanks for the input team. I've put together some info for what I came up with and from some on this thread.
    Materials used.
    anchor & chain as usual, anchor bouy , 8 ml nylon cut away length, 2 to 4 meters , zippy ties to suit 2 nd anchor line float.
    procedure.
    Anchor down, once held fast, create a loop near to bow in anchor line , be shore to deploy anchor ball, from here create loop , attach light 8 ml nylon length , run through bow roller and secure through to hard top or somewhere with easy access in the cockpit, (i attached to hard top frame)attack knife close to cut away line, roll up the rest of your anchor line tie with zippy ties and attach 2 nd float and throw over board.in case of emergcey simply slice cutaway line, all will clear the boat quickly without fowling. Hopefully the anchor line will free and the bouy will come back to the surface along with anchor 爛爛
    ps I hope I never have to slice the rope
    Mate......I hope your not compromising your well being for the price of an anchor and some rope?You have overthought this to the max,you need a knife very close to where the anchor is tied off and nothing else.

Just use a few breakaway cable ties to a ball float tied to your anchor if the whale picks u up and drags u the cable ties will break away and the ball float will locate your anchor if its not draging on the whales tail