Thread: Large RIB for fishing?

Large RIB for fishing?

I really like the idea of a 7-8m RIB center console for fishing. Light weight so won’t require electric brakes on trailer, cheaper on fuel, and also the softest riding boats by far.

Apart from the getting wet part and using net only to land fish any other downsides? Does anyone else use RIBs for offshore fishing?

Re: Large RIB for fishing?

At work, we have a 7m sealegs CC with a 150 4 st on it, obviously it has wheels, pump motor etc which would weigh a bit, but it has to have electric brakes!

I recommend a net and no gaff.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    I really like the idea of a 7-8m RIB center console for fishing. Light weight so won’t require electric brakes on trailer, cheaper on fuel, and also the softest riding boats by far.

Apart from the getting wet part and using net only to land fish any other downsides? Does anyone else use RIBs for offshore fishing?
    One of the whale watching charter ribs out of Mooloolaba has 4x350 yamahas on it, that thing would go ok at wot I’d imagine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

The only other issue I’ve realised would be the reduced inside beam due to the buoyancy tubes....1.6m for the 7.6m falcon rib

There was one about that size fishing out of Orchid Beach the same time as us a coupe of years ago. They were launching it into the gutter at Waddy using a slightly older Ford Ranger dual cab. I remember one night we were already cleaned and back on the beach with family watching the sun set etc and they came back in. We thought they were going to be in trouble but the Ranger got it or no worries so I guess there is something to be said for the light weight. They also got busted by Fisheries for undersized catch but that isn't because of the weight of the RIB. That's just because they were knobs.

Matt

They don't do well with sharks - ask Ben Cropp . Just looking at the pics, they don't look like they have a real deep cockpit - might be a pain.

Almost no storage space either!