Thread: Which plastic for clears

Which plastic for clears

I'm about to get clears done for the hardtop project but the trimmers won't commit to which poly is best. Some input from you guys would be appreciated. Strata Glass is twice the price of the standard material and I'm struggling to be convinced that the cost is justified. All the supplier would say is that it has coatings on it. Bloody expensive coating! What have you guys got or had done?

Re: Which plastic for clears

Mate, are you just doing the areas above the windscreen front and side ..?

Would be the uv coating. Cheap ones yellow and crack quickly

Local suppliers have various materials, haven't priced many but strata glass is $480 a sheet (2 sheets for my area) w/screen to H/T front and sides Crystal Clear is about half that price so I'm told. It seems no one (apart from the supplier) can say if the extra cost is justified. There are other products so I was hoping for some feed back from others that have done it.

Going by that thread Cobbo it sounds like its hard to justify paying double for strataglass for the average trailerboat….

When I got mine done the trimmer made me think of things practically, it sits in the shed most of it’s life, and it gets used for a day or two and cleaned almost instantly, he also made some suggestions that I think made sense, rather than a roll up system, go for a couple of press studs in the roof (I had a canvas top but hardtop would be far easier for this) for the shield to simply fold up in a flat form, he believed that most of the times these things are scratched during the roll up process.

He also recommended using rainex before and after trips, as this made cleaning require little to no scrubbing, which also causes scratching.

In my opinion give the cheaper one a go.

BTW what sizes are the sheets that the Strataglass and Crystal clear are made in..?..

I see someone also mention that if you roll up the strataglass the straps can leave indents which don't come out...…...man it doesn't really sound like something you would want on a rough and tumble fishing boat..

Just so you know - clears are made from flexible PVC ….. The additives that make it flexible are also what cause the problem with yellowing. Also keeping PVC clear means that most of the things that are used for longevity (pigments) cannot be incorporated …… It's a big double edged sword .
    The PVC is soft ….. so it's easy to scratch & leave indentations- that's the nature of the beast .
    any coating used to "promote scratch & mar resistance will be like spraying rainex onto windscreens - it's about co efficient of friction (COF) ….. it's never going to be permanent - as much as anything strataglass is more hype than reality …… and they still talk about only a 2-5 year life .

When it comes to clears , I don't think there is a magic bullet …… just how you clean them , store them etc

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

What about polycarbonate (but its non flexible)

Had a quick look on google - "problems with strataglass". The stuff is fairly easily damaged by sunscreen residue on fingers. Not great for a product in our conditions over summer. Have you contacted Goodline Trimming. These guys do a bit of work for some top end boat builders and thus may have some perspective to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    What about polycarbonate (but its non flexible)
    PC or acrylic …. would do much better but neither of them are flexible

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Had a quick look on google - "problems with strataglass". The stuff is fairly easily damaged by sunscreen residue on fingers. Not great for a product in our conditions over summer. Have you contacted Goodline Trimming. These guys do a bit of work for some top end boat builders and thus may have some perspective to offer.
    As someone who has spent 28 years in the plastic industry in technical sales ….. there is no flexible / clear polymer that will do the job with any longevity . I can give you options against glass …. but flexible clears …. nah - it doesn't exist ….. it's a case of grin it and bare it !!!!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

When i had my Dehavilland 4.six tinny i built a alloy canopy for it and was going to use the clear plastic sheet from bunnings i looked at the sticker/price tag it was cheap and said UV i was going to button it on and only put it up when needed (no towing)

Sorry I haven't been back for a little while fellas, thanks for the insights. The trimmer is doing the job this week and I decided on the crystal clear cheaper option. (I'm part Scot). It will get a hard life on my boat so it's life is limited anyway.