Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: high output engines!

Re: high output engines!

[QUOTE=shakey55;1658828]This is direct from the Boat Test website
    —————————————————
    The H.O. designation can mean up to 10% more than the engine’s stated horsepower.
    High Output Means Higher Horsepower

The 10% Solution. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) lays down the standards and rules for horsepower ratings. The SAE, says that if on a dynamometer, an engine comes within 10% of its stated horsepower — no harm, no foul. That means an outboard that says “100-hp” on its cowling can put out as little as 90-hp on a dyno and still be within SAE specifications.

H.O. Means More. These rules also mean that a 100-hp engine can be 10% over its rated horsepower and still qualify as a 100-hp engine. This is how Evinrude came up with the H.O. designation. In the case of the Evinrude E-TEC G2 250, the horsepower is actually closer to 275, which is why there is no Evinrude E-TEC G2 275. Evinrude is not “guaranteeing” 275-hp, it is just saying that it is “higher output”. We could not pin down any Evinrude tech on exactly how much horsepower the engine actually produces. They would simply say, “It’s High Output”.

As mentioned, it's all in the marketing. the 10% rule has been around since forever, and it's always been plus or minus, so the 100hp can be anywhere from 90 to 110hp!

HO sounds to me to.be the same engine with the fuel turned up a bit if i need a bigger outboard ill buy a bigger one. No need to wind the fuel up they use enough as it is

this should shed some light on all that has been said.

Haha he says in my opinion the single most important aspect of this engine is the acceleration. Really?

You can’t just wind the fuel up. Fuel burns at a Very specific ratio

Go outside that you cause issues

You get more go from more capacity or revs Along with improvements in design

With more capacity u go more air and fuel to even out the mixture

That 4cyl 90ho is pretty much just dropping a 115hp donk on ya boat and dynoing it

The real curve ball is can u take a 3cyl 90hp and dyno it to produce 115hp for those smaller boats where weight is a particular thing to consider

Outboard dealerships dont really rebuild engines do they? Ive seen them r place short blocks under warranty or replace engines, but never rebuild one.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Outboard dealerships dont really rebuild engines do they? Ive seen them r place short blocks under warranty or replace engines, but never rebuild one.
    no major dealer Is going to waste their time and effort rebuilding something they have to give warranty on
    many don't even want to trade engines in anymore unless part of a complete boat trade in, even then they will just offer to put on consignment for you.

gumtree is where all the flogged out obsolete stuff goes.

Well to finish - we all agree it’s a smoke and mirrors marketing tool

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Not entirely smoke and mirrors, but you have to understand that a HO is not a heap more HP, there are differences.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    All the dealers i have dealt with in Sydney will rebuild a outboard but most of the big dealers like Hunts Marine won't work on a engine that is over 10 years old its a kind of rule for a lot of motors in general it may be different in country towns, But as far i know of this rule goes with motorcycles too

there are smaller non specific branded dealers who carry out rebuilds on all engines be it 10 and over or under and all work has to have warranty i think by law not sure if thats Australia Wide or NSW even if a shop sells a second hand engine it has to have warranty

was still impressed by some of the features of this etec as per the video. plug in, plug out fuel injector unit, micron filter with water alarm, etc
    i thought the HO produced more horse power than what it really does , even so looks like the extra cylinder is a bonus for longevity and even though id buy one for sure one day, it be wise to line up a service repairer nearby in case it gets gremlins in it.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Haven't read all of the thread, but HO generally just means a larger block for less hp, ie, derated form the higher output version. EG, older Etec 200HO's were the same block as the 300, or you could get the lighter smaller block engine. Aploogies if this has already been stated. It "may" mean more grunt, bt will certainly mean more weight. And cost. Merc does it differently, their pro XS versions were the same block more tuned up, and you'd have around 225 from a 200 Pro XS. I think it just gets around transom limits on HP or weight, personally. Merc does a version of their 150 4s that is 168, vs 158 for the standard 150 like mine.

Funny how HO in marine world seems different to cars.
    I have a HO motor in my car and it runs same block / capacity as standard. But things like forged crankshaft / camshaft / stronger main bearings / better intake / bigger injectors / different head-combustion chambers / pistons for higher compression / exhaust valves and springs , different PCM programming etc.
    And what that does, is gives 40 more hp than stock. It's a 4wd not a race car so not over the top, but sounds like the marine industry has placed it's own take on HO.
    Really need to see full specs for both marine engines, the stock and HO, and should be able to tell if it is putting out more ponies or not or just delivering the same hp in different manners /revs. If I missed the specs somewhere I apologise
    Interesting topic
    Cheers
    Muz

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Haven't read all of the thread, but HO generally just means a larger block for less hp, ie, derated form the higher output version. EG, older Etec 200HO's were the same block as the 300, or you could get the lighter smaller block engine. Aploogies if this has already been stated. It "may" mean more grunt, bt will certainly mean more weight. And cost. Merc does it differently, their pro XS versions were the same block more tuned up, and you'd have around 225 from a 200 Pro XS. I think it just gets around transom limits on HP or weight, personally. Merc does a version of their 150 4s that is 168, vs 158 for the standard 150 like mine.
    For some hp bands this is correct. For others it is purely tuning. It's a fluid situation too as new models come out. As an example, the 150 and the 150 HO used to be the same engine tuned differently - neither being overly stressed as the same configuration was also used for the 175 and 200 small block. With the release of the new I3 150, the V6 150 will in all likelihood be dropped so the HO version will be the V6 variant