Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kevlacat 2400

Kevlacat 2400

Ok guys, thinking of repowering my 2400 currently has Yamaha 115hp motors, I think it performs pretty good but question is because I'm going new do I go the 140 Suzuki or the new series Yamaha 115hp?? Has anyone got the new 115s on there cat or has anyone been in both boats to compare? Cheers

Re: Kevlacat 2400

I think a member here from SA has one with Suzuki's but I could be wrong, try a PM to "cape crusader"

Why not Yamaha 130's?

Why not the new G2 3 cylinder 115 HO motors?
    What could go wrong.......................

G'day guys
    Hilta, during my quest to buy a pre loved KC2400, Kevlacat recommended that I speak to Rafe Holme who is very experienced with these vessels. He told me that they perform better and more economically with the suzi 140's than the yammie 115's due to the extra power of the 140's making things easier. So I think you will be pleased when you've done your upgrade. Our engines are the original 2005 DF140's, which run beautifully, we get 1km per litre and mostly cruise in the 40 - 50 kph range. Very easy cruising at 4000 to 4300rpm Son has nudged it over the 80kmh zone a couple of times. Have seen numerous responses from other owners re fuel usage and the 1km per litre seems to be the norm, even for the newer lean burn engines, but perhaps they would do a little better. Couldn't nail exact figures but one 200km round trip I reckon I got 1.2km to the litre, with the return trip having a 12 - 15 knot head wind which seemed to really get us up and running :-)
    Cheers
    Rod

The 130 Yamaha don't do a counter rotater not sure what the cat would be like without counter

Rod, thank you for that, I had decided I was going the Suzuki, went in to order them and the dealer just keeps pushing the Yamaha 115, he also said he could get me into 150 yummiest cheaper than the 140 Suzuki!! He has both brands so not sure what's going on

Anyone heard what the 150 mercury are like on the kevlacat?

Quote Originally Posted by hilta1 View Post
    Nope but I fish on a boat that has one and it's a sweet engine.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Rod, thank you for that, I had decided I was going the Suzuki, went in to order them and the dealer just keeps pushing the Yamaha 115, he also said he could get me into 150 yummiest cheaper than the 140 Suzuki!! He has both brands so not sure what's going on
    He's making more money from the Yammies or is on stop with Suzuki. Other possibility is no stock and he wants to seal the deal rather than give you a chance to change your mind.

I have fished several times from one with 115 yams and I own one with 140zooks and in comparison the 115s are very undergunned. The 140s are about perfect power for it and by no means overpowered. I use a consistent 1km/litre cruising between 50-60kph and do run quite heavy load. The hull rides much better over 50kph in almost all sea directions.

Im currently looking at new donks also only to get back into warranty and think Ill go the 140zooks again. The 150 yammy would be my ideal choice however mine is plated to max 208kw/440kg. The same weekender models came out with the 150yams so you could possibly get it replated... Not sure how that works exactly. Theres also a big jump in price from the 140zook to the 150B yammy.

Let us know which way you go in the end!

Sent from my CPH1725 using Ausfish mobile app

Mine is same as crusaders and runs 1litre per km, df140s are a perfect match. Cruise around 28knots topping out at 42.

I reckon they would be good but use a bit more fuel based on performance tests I read. Also would add about 50kg to the weight, but more torque if you were carrying heavier loads. Keeping the weight down is one of the important factors of good handling of them though. You would need to get the boat re plated to avoid any potential insurance issues, assuming Kevlacat would do that.
    Cheers
    Rod

Thanks again guys, I really want the Suzuki, but I'm not prepared to pay over $40g down here when I have been quoted mid $30 up North, I'm bringing it up in around 3 weeks but want to head straight to 1770 hence I'd like the new motors on for that trip! Wish I could contact John Haines Jnr!! See what the hell is going on,

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hilta1, I’m not sure if Gordon Triplett is still at the Signature factory, but if he is or you can get a hold of Greg Haines, they will sort the pricing and anything else you need. The best customer service experience with my 632f Signature came with these guys. Based in Wacol qld they could sort it on your way.