Thread: Kevlacat 2400

Re: Kevlacat 2400

Gordon works for Garmin now I think.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Gordon works for Garmin now I think.
    Yeah Scott, I think he’s heavily invested with Garmin but I thought he was still involved with the Haines group. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong. Gordon was incredibly helpful as was both the Haines boys in modifying my sig and could not fault their professionalism.

Thanks fellas I might try a phone call tommorow, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Yeah Scott, I think he’s heavily invested with Garmin but I thought he was still involved with the Haines group. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong. Gordon was incredibly helpful as was both the Haines boys in modifying my sig and could not fault their professionalism.
    He could be. Just haven't seen any Haines related press with his involvement for a good while. They could be a bit stroppy about the new Garmin demo boat 😂😂.

go the yamaha or the 150hp mercury outboards. you could even go the 115 or 135hp mercury's... a fantastic outboard.

Suzuki are nicknamed aspro's as they dissolve in water....

Aha.
    Interesting. A couple months ago I was chatting to a guy from a Yammie dealer who recently purchased a new boat and had put on Suzi as he reckons they are better. He also said the workshop guys jokingly call Honda's disprin, because they disolve in water. Around six months ago a mate from a different dealership told me that he was hearing there are issues arising in yammies due to lack of corrosion control (anodes). Then there's black anchors and the newer white anchors (etecs) the latter highly recommended by a 50 year veteren of fixing etc ouboards who has been a close friend for of mine during nearly all of that time. He is a very smart guy and has a bunch other observations based on his experience. I highly respect his opinion and seek it out, but realise that like everyone he has his biases and sometimes I disagree. If your buying a new motor these days getting the right match for your requirements from a dealer that you can trust and is conveniently located and have good engine care is the key to satisfaction in my opinion, based my small perspective and having read other owner reviews.
    Cheers
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Whiley_Whiting View Post
    go the yamaha or the 150hp mercury outboards. you could even go the 115 or 135hp mercury's... a fantastic outboard.

Never gets old does it? can you tell us how you know Suzuki's are "aspros" and dissolve in water?

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    I have fished several times from one with 115 yams and I own one with 140zooks and in comparison the 115s are very undergunned. The 140s are about perfect power for it and by no means overpowered. I use a consistent 1km/litre cruising between 50-60kph and do run quite heavy load. The hull rides much better over 50kph in almost all sea directions.

Im currently looking at new donks also only to get back into warranty and think Ill go the 140zooks again. The 150 yammy would be my ideal choice however mine is plated to max 208kw/440kg. The same weekender models came out with the 150yams so you could possibly get it replated... Not sure how that works exactly. Theres also a big jump in price from the 140zook to the 150B yammy.

Let us know which way you go in the end!

Sent from my CPH1725 using Ausfish mobile app
    Hasn't my new Merc convinced you?

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Hasn't my new Merc convinced you?
    I'll decide after shed beers

Sent from my CPH1725 using Ausfish mobile app

There is a significant performance difference between the 115 yammie and the 140 Suzuki.
    The 2400 hull needs 140-150hp to perform optimally.
    I guarantee you’d be disappoint with 115’s on the back. Your cruise speed will be nearly 10km slower and top end will be 15km/h

If you travel more than 50km offshore then you’ll regret the 115’s

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Crusader View Post
    Aha.
    Interesting. A couple months ago I was chatting to a guy from a Yammie dealer who recently purchased a new boat and had put on Suzi as he reckons they are better. He also said the workshop guys jokingly call Honda's disprin, because they disolve in water. Around six months ago a mate from a different dealership told me that he was hearing there are issues arising in yammies due to lack of corrosion control (anodes). Then there's black anchors and the newer white anchors (etecs) the latter highly recommended by a 50 year veteren of fixing etc ouboards who has been a close friend for of mine during nearly all of that time. He is a very smart guy and has a bunch other observations based on his experience. I highly respect his opinion and seek it out, but realise that like everyone he has his biases and sometimes I disagree. If your buying a new motor these days getting the right match for your requirements from a dealer that you can trust and is conveniently located and have good engine care is the key to satisfaction in my opinion, based my small perspective and having read other owner reviews.
    Cheers
    Rod
    if I heard a mechanic calling Honda’s disprin, I’d find another mechanic.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whiley_Whiting View Post

Thats very, very, old, hasn't been an issue for a very long time. Interesting to read up on how it came about, and no, it wasn't inferior metal used in casting. Move on. Personally, not a 140 Suzuki fan, as they are just a tweaked up 115, just as Yamahas 130 is a tweaked 115. But, if they suit the boat as well as cape crusaders experience indicates, go with them. The Merc 150 is a fabulous motor, and not at all heavy for a 3 litre block (208kg from memory), capacity gives it performance far better than the bare statistics would indicate to the keyboard warriors. Mine murders a 140 Suzuki-powered Barcrusher 615 in all aspects, and it is pushing a rig (Caribbean Reef Runner 6.4m heavily fitted out) which weighs at least 500kg more. 3 litre engine vs a 1.7 litre engine. I've done 400 hours on mine in 15months, couldn't be happier.

G'day Ranmar
    The 140's are 1950cc not 1700, but yeah obviously less torque but a great weight balance option for the KC. I did ask Kevlacat if they could re plate mine to 150hp with the mercs in mind. Not for me but opening up options for the next owner when I have to sell, illness is making fishing difficult these days. I would be intersted to hear from anyone who had fitted the mercs to see how they went. As I said above, fuel usage would mostly likely be up along with weight. I say that from performance test I've read and those bigger cylinders are going to need more mix. But could be a case of doing it easier, real world figures for KC would tell, but based on the hp those kiwi design hulls seem to need for their weight and actual water line length they would seem to be inneficient hulls to me. I know 2 guys who have KC2400's one switched out the 140's to 130 HO etecs, loves them. Another with honda 135's, he loves them. So plenty options out there.
    Ranmar, great to see you are getting plenty of use out of your boat and pleased with it, nice boats those.

Cheers
    Rod

Ausfish Platinum Member

Cape Crusader, what RPM are you running those Suzukis at to get those numbers? My impression of them was that they needed to be revved hard to get performance. I can get a genuine 20 knots cruise with 3 POB and all gear on board at 3700 , now, with the 15x15. Used to be 3550 with the 14.5x17, but overpropped. Now it is 23-24 knots at 4000, and fast cruise of 4500 sees 26.5-27.5 knots. Tops out at about 5550.
    But, as you say, if they just work well, all the theorising in the world means nothing.

G'day
    We typically sit on around 4200 rpm for 26knots (just under 50kmh). This is feels very easy for the boat and motors and gets a lot of ground covered in comfort, sometimes go faster and that's easy to, I think 30knots is about 4500 rpm. Our waters are notorious with fast tides, wild bottom and strong winds, with the occassional nice day :-) So 26 knots is usually ok, but down to 20knots when it's full blown white caps. Go to youtube, search Kevlacat 2400 offshore and about 3 down is Rod FIshin, I reckon you can tell how easy it's getting along, could travel and any speed in those conditions which the video understates. If pause near the end the speed is in kph (guilty ) Oh and another quick take off video. I wasn't driving hit 40knots but not quite full throttle. Controlled take off, keeping revs even and not just full throttle. These should give you a good idea.
    Also the boat slips up on the plane with llittle change in attitude and no need to rev hard on take off or cruise. We have the solas 13 x 21 solas 4 blade stainless which are default props for this set up. We usually fish with 2 or 3 or 4 without a lot other stuff on board.
    Cheers
    Rod