Thread: Best 24v battery system for 24v leccy?

Question Best 24v battery system for 24v leccy?

Hi Guys
    Starting to look at upgrading my leccy to a 24v and the usual research
    Realise I could just use 2 x 12v batteries but wondered if a 24v battery would be a better option?

I guess charging the 2 x 12v would just be a "series parallel" when charging with a 24v?

Sorry, now 2 questions I guess !
    .............Gary

Re: Best 24v battery system for 24v leccy?

Haven't tried a single 24 volt battery, but something to consider, if using lead acid or AGM they all have 2volt cells, if one dies and you have 2 batteries you replace only one. Weight wise a 24 volt is a lot lighter usually in the mid 40kgs for a 150 amp or 2 x 33kg for 12 volt batteries.

If going LiPo4 then I'd definitely go a single 24 volt as there are all sorts of issues around charging albeit slowly being resolved.

If using lead/AGM have a look at Enerdrives site as there are some very good tips on cabling etc.

Every time I asked this question - I was always advised to go with 2 x 12 volt batteries . Handling is one thing , replacing 1 battery if the need arises ( fault) is another - then we have the need for 24 volt battery chargers .

Now I don't know if what I have done is the best way to go & it is costly - but it's working well for me

I went with 2 x 100amp LiFePO4 batteries That have hardwired their own Victron 25amp on board charger which is isolated with their own 30amp breaker .
    Aside from cutting the weight in half , I also have effectively a larger capacity due to the 90% DOD with little effect on the battery life .
    As each battery has it's own charger pumping out 25amps - charging times are significantly faster ( a flat battery can get up to absorb in 3.5 hrs …. that's 95% full ) - this is important when I'm away , fishing consecutive days & in particularly if I have to run my generator .

Now Minn Kota advise against the use of Lithium batteries because of the higher voltage . That hasn't deterred though as many boats are running their MKs off LiFePO4s & have done so for years now.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thank you,
    Sorry about the late reply, at Lucinda and caught a 24 hr bug.......on the mend now
    Looks like lithium have come down in price, do like the weight drop!
    .........Gary

Much appreciated Chris,
    As above, sorry for the late reply, caught a 24hr bug at Lucinda .........unfortunately not catching too many fish though, water still 21.5°C !
    Thank you for the detailed information on the lithium batteries, sounds like the best option other than price!
    .............Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GLXMAN View Post
    Much appreciated Chris,
    As above, sorry for the late reply, caught a 24hr bug at Lucinda .........unfortunately not catching too many fish though, water still 21.5°C !
    Thank you for the detailed information on the lithium batteries, sounds like the best option other than price!
    .............Gary
    Hi Gary

Yes , they are expensive as a per unit cost . The way I looked at it - it wasn't just $2000 vs $500 for a pair of 100amp LiFePO4 vs AGM . A better comparison would have been a pair of 170amp AGMs @ $800 ……. but here is the crunch 28kgs Vs 95kgs to obtain a similar run time on the leccy. Imagine how bow heavy that would be ? I know on my Seajay I had a 55kg 200amp AGM pretty well on the bow & it was a killer .

so yeh , there is more to it

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

So dont look at 2 100h lipos. Maybe 2 30 or 40 ah batts? Makes it a lot closer

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    So dont look at 2 100h lipos. Maybe 2 30 or 40 ah batts? Makes it a lot closer
    Unfortunately - not when you need decent battery capacity for say offshore spot locking

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Your right, didn't think of that, forgot about the combined AH!

Quote Originally Posted by GLXMAN View Post
    Your right, didn't think of that, forgot about the combined AH!
    It really depends on how you use your leccy …… If you just mooch along a creek or river ( the odd spot lock) 2 x 100amp AGMs will more than suffice .
    However if you are fishing strong tidal areas or in windy conditions - you will be down to 50% DOD in as quickly as 1 hr (50amp draw @ max ) ….. beyond that you are starting to degrade your battery. This is why I had a 200amp when I just had a 12 volt system.

For the last couple of years I've been doing a lot of offshore spot locking & even with the LiFePO4s I really can only get a full day out of them . The least was around 5 hrs last April at Lucinda out on the reef in 15-20knt winds. Hence why capacity needs to be considered & I know at some stage I'll be looking to go with bigger or add another couple of 100 amp LiFePO4s .

Back to the cheapest options - 120amp AGM would be the bare minimum & if weight isn't really an issue - I'd go with the slim 170amp Kickass AGMs ($738 / pair)

www.australiandirect.com.au/buy/kickass-12v-170ah-deep-cycle-agm-battery-twin-pack/3088509
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Have you heard any reports on these Chris.....https://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/b...-cycle-battery

Whats the advantage of that slimline style of battery you linked to …?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Have you heard any reports on these Chris.....https://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/b...-cycle-battery

Whats the advantage of that slimline style of battery you linked to …?
    Footprint - mainly …….I 'm running a pair of 120amp slim kickass in my Seajay where they are hard up against the bulkhead in the front hatch . This gives me some more room to fill up with other stuff .
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Gee its hard to make a decision on whats best and affordable...

Chris would you go 36v on your next one....?

Would I be right in thinking that using the bigger motor will actually result in longer run times for the batterys..

The 105lb motorguide is only $250 more and the 80lb and of course the cost of an extra battery....

I don't think the extra agm battery weight up the front will bother the boat too much...