Thread: Replacing the Floor in my Boat

Replacing the Floor in my Boat

Hey all. Thought I might share a project that I have been doing over the last few weeks. The floor on in my boat was getting fairly old and looking worse for wear so I decided to take the plunge and embark on building and fitting a new one. It was also a good opportunity to clean the bilge, replace the fuel line and check all the wiring to the bilge pumps etc.

After a bit of research, I decided not to go for carpet again as I was sick of the cleaning hassle and instead went for a teak look EVA foam as I had seen this on a friends boat and it was quite impressive.

The base material was 12mm marine ply which I coated in Everdure Primer and Sealer for waterproofing.

Attachment 119744 1. Deck Fittings.jpgFitting the floor after cutting out

Attachment 1197452. Deck Waterproofing.jpgFloor Waterproofed

One I have waterproofed it all and checked fitting I gave the floor two coats of 2 Pac undercoat in white - Norglass Shipshape Primer Undercoat. I was pretty happy with how this ended up looking at this stage and got to securing the floor to the frame using SS screws and Tefgel to stop the corrosion. I also added Sika to the screw holes through the floor boards.

3. Deck Painting.jpgFloor after painting
    5. Deck Rear.jpgCleaning the dirty bilge

I also took the opportunity to replace the old manky flotation under the floor as well, replacing the polystyrene with closed cell foam. I also replaced all the under gunnel foam at the same time. There was a clear lack of flotation in the boat so I was glad to get the new stuff in there.
    8. Floatation.jpgThe new flotation foam packed in.

6. Deck Fitted.jpgFloor fitted.

Around the border of the floor I fitted neoprene foam tape to stop any rubbing between the floor and the hull. This also helps stop stuff falling down into the hull underneath.

Once I had fitted the floor, I lifted it again and applied the EVA foam over the top. The rolls of foam has an 3M adhesive backing and is extremely sticky. After a few false starts I got it all sorted and refitted the finished floor into the boat. I was getting short on the foam at this stage so had to be a bit creative to use the off cuts for the floor hatches.

7. Deck Finished.jpg Finished product

Overall I am pretty happy with the result - it looks allot better and the floor is nice and stable. It is also easy to clean and there is no fish stink that you end up with if you have carpet.

Re: Replacing the Floor in my Boat

Looks good

sure looks good and I bet it feels nice on the feet....

How does it go getting dried blood off it after a day slaughtering the mackies..?..

and what did it cost for the Eva foam..?

Good job, how did you go about securing the foam under the gunnels?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    sure looks good and I bet it feels nice on the feet....

How does it go getting dried blood off it after a day slaughtering the mackies..?..

and what did it cost for the Eva foam..?
    It cleans up really easily - blood seems to wash out and doesn't absorb. The foam was about $80 per roll and I used 3 rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Good job, how did you go about securing the foam under the gunnels?
    I used separate small strips instead of trying to bend it over (if thats what you mean)

that looks great. Can you share a little info on where you got the foam?? Link??
    thanks

looks great top job , the stripes or color give me the illusion of a bigger deck space .how long would this stuff last , like would it peel up before it wore out from foot traffic. anyhow its better than carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cox76y View Post
    that looks great. Can you share a little info on where you got the foam?? Link??
    thanks
    Hey Mate

This is where I git the foam - did a fair bit of hunting for it as I was after the foam with the 3M adhesive backing.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-de...dId=1174788603

Quote Originally Posted by blairv70 View Post
    Hey Mate

This is where I git the foam - did a fair bit of hunting for it as I was after the foam with the 3M adhesive backing.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-de...dId=1174788603
    Hey mate, I’m doing a similar project at the moment. The link to gumtree doesn’t work do you have the name of the mob you got the flotation foam from and/or the specific name of the foam ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by all finny View Post
    Hey mate, I’m doing a similar project at the moment. The link to gumtree doesn’t work do you have the name of the mob you got the flotation foam from and/or the specific name of the foam ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope sorry - I only had the gumtree link

Have a look on ebay, there is plenty to look at there, at around 70 dollars delivered. Thanks for the post, sure looks the part
    David