Thread: Some Gold Coast Oddity

Some Gold Coast Oddity

Headed out to the 36s with a mate yesterday looking for a feed of Pearlies and Snaps. Pearlies were on but only small Snaps - and they were pretty skinny too.

Oh well, can't complain about a feed of Pearlies - has to be one of my favourite fish to eat.

On a couple of drifts we had a dull bite on the line and a bit of weight and wound in a Flathead. Nice size - about 50cm or so - thought of it as a bonus as they are also good eating.

One the same drift we caught another, then another , then another etc etc etc. We would have drifted 300 to 400 meters just pulling in Flathead. In 65m of water.

There were a couple of big girls in the 70s, but mostly between 40 and 50 and a mix of both Dusky and Bartail species.

I have caught the odd one deep of the coast and Fraser but never seen a big gathering like this before. Found it quite odd.

Maybe we came across the Flathead version of Splendour in the Grass?

Re: Some Gold Coast Oddity

At the 50's up off the pin bar we used to regularly bag out on what I called "blue spot " flathead. Can't say I've ever caught a dusky out there though.

Could be Marbled.

Yes mate, I caught a Bartail flathead around 50cm at Wide Caloundra in 65m on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guess they must move out for breeding this time of year

We were out at the 36s on Sunday, 1 undersized pearly, 1 undersized squire and a 40cm Flatty, we were surprised as well a flatty in 65m of water .

We haven't been to this area in 10years, lots of boats and didn't seem like anyone was reeling in anything.

Probably marbled flathead as mentioned above.