Thread: 1770 trip Captains Lodge

1770 trip Captains Lodge

Gday guys, just a brief overview of my last 10 days at 1770. For the last 9 years we have always stayed at the Seachange Loft in Agnes which was perfect however this year we were unable to stay as it is now permanently rented. Someone recommended the Captains Lodge and yes it was also very good.
    We left Caloundra at 5.00am on Friday 12th July for a good 5 1/2 hour run up with a couple of brief stops on the way. Quickly unpacked our gear and hit the ramp at 12.30pm for a glassy flat trip to Sykes. We fished hard for the whole night and then hit Lamont briefly and East of Fitzroy briefly on the trip home after lunch on Saturday as Sunday was too windy to fish so the fish cleaning was happening then. With a reasonable catch including my best Spanish at 18kg, we were all pretty happy. No trophy fish but some nice trout, parrot, red throats and Mauri cod.
    Sunday we cleaned fish and played around the house.
    Monday was back into it with the plan to hit the deeper water on our way to Lamont to camp. Pretty average fishing but sea was ok, but sloppy but ok. We camped up in close on the North Eastern side of Lamont in 30m with the expectation of a South Westerly wind coming through in the night. Well that wind came through at about 11.30pm and was 35knots+. I woke to see we had drifted about 10m but were holding again. Then we drifted a bit more, and a bit more. “All up boys, we are moving”!!!!!!! After our 3rd anchor attempt, this time dropping in 15m and letting out 300m of rope, we finally held. The boat that was with us drove around for a number of hours as they just couldn’t hold. They grabbed in the end but was a bit daunting.
    Up Tuesday morning after a rough night saw us fish the north east corner of Lamont for a few hours then a punch home. I normally run on the auto pilot but with such sloppy seas, I cut across them when I could to get a better ride and then headed along in close to the coast from Bustard head.
    With the wind planned to get up again on Wednesday night, we did a day trip. We headed to the Boult area, both east of and north of but within 15km all day. We left the house at 4.00am and fished hard returning at 5.00pm. We saw the eclipse early morning. Fishing today was ok.
    Thursday saw a late start after cleaning Wednesday catch then hitting the ramp at 11.00am. We planned to camp the night at Boult. Fishing was pretty hard and didn’t really improve on Friday and the weather was only average. The plan was for a big day but we pulled the pin about 1.00pm and went home to clean fish.
    Saturday was a cruisey clean up day and Sunday we headed off.
    All in all, weather was reasonably good most of the trip, fishing was steady - plenty of trout, RTE, BIG parrot. Company was fantastic with 2 crews and house was good.
    We plan on doing the same again next year.

Not a lot of pics as no trophy fish landed, not a single red. That was disappointing!!!!

Cheers
    LeeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0207.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	119715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0207.jpg 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	119715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	119716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	119717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0237.JPG 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	119718
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: 1770 trip Captains Lodge

Good trip by the looks mate.
    Shame about seachange loft, it was my pick of houses up there.

How was the new place for the boats?

RTP, yeh mate place was good for boats. 5 acres so plenty of room but tank water only so just need to be a bit more mindful when washing boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Great Spanish.
    Did he take a bait or did you get him on the troll.
    Shame about the Reds. What depths were you searching for them in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finicky, Spanish hit a pillie that I was retrieving from floating down in 30m of water where we had camped east of Sykes.
    About 60% of our fishing was between 60-80m, 10% in 95-105m and the rest between 25-45m. The reds were very scarce, we only saw 3 undersize for the whole time.
    Cheers
    Lee

Good trip well done

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Finicky, Spanish hit a pillie that I was retrieving from floating down in 30m of water where we had camped east of Sykes.
    About 60% of our fishing was between 60-80m, 10% in 95-105m and the rest between 25-45m. The reds were very scarce, we only saw 3 undersize for the whole time.
    Cheers
    Lee

Thanks Any_Weather.
    That’s similar ground to what I’m planning on targeting as soon as I get a chance and good weather.
    It’s hard when you put in so much time and effort but just can’t stumble across some reds.
    I know the feeling. At least there are plenty of other species up there to fill the esky.
    That Spanish would have woken you up as you wouldn’t have been expecting a hit in the retrieve.

Hey mate, if youre looking for a house to stay, I have just built a new 2 storey house with ocean views just behind the Agnes water tavern. Send me a message if you are looking for a place to hang your hat in the future. Shes on town water has 4 bedrooms and has a nice level concrete pad to wash up your boat and a filleting bench for 3. I just came back from the reef myself - fishing on saturday and came home Sunday morning. We had cracking weather and had fish chewing their heads off- especially the Reds...

Hi Baitable, great to hear of a successful red trip. I will be doing a similar trip next year and if the other boat that comes with us pulls out, I will definitely be in touch.
    Thanks for letting me know of your house.
    Cheers
    Lee

No worries mate— I’m up there every couple of months. Say gday if u see a glacier bay cat with twin 140 Suzuki’s.

Sounds amazing, thanks for the report

One thing Lee, you always enjoy being on the water regardless. I hope to get up to 1770 the following week, weather permitting, for a couple of overnighters.

Good luck Sam, keen to hear how you go.