Thread: 2st oil shelf life

2st oil shelf life

Is there a shelf life for 2st oil. I purchased six 10l sealed plastic bottles of Quicksilver Premium last year for a good price, and it looks like it's going to take a while to burn it up. i can't find anything that resembles a manufacture date?

Re: 2st oil shelf life

I doubt there is one.

My motors seem happy enough with some aged bulk TC W3

Watching this with interest but.......
    What could go wrong.......................

I have never seen oil go "off" unless it is mixed with petrol, I guess if the time frame from purchase to use is "reasonable" it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I have never seen oil go "off" unless it is mixed with petrol, I guess if the time frame from purchase to use is "reasonable" it should be fine.
    that seems to be the consensus when i googled it, just looking for a bit more assurance. A friend did find some soft lumpy oil in his main tank once, how or why, no one knows!

Does one get lumps from mixing different brands of TCW3?

I would have thought one shouldn't as TCW3 is a standard and they should all be equal but ?

Lumps in old oil in boats is pretty common, not sure whether it's mixing oils (I did once and it made a mess) or if the oil absorbs water somehow, and makes "rocks"

So Noel you suggesting that all TCW3 s are not as equal as we would like them to be!

Just to explain, in my old TCW3 days, I always used Shell Nautilus, one time while on holidays I needed some oil and added another brand, a few months later I had to clean the oil tank out, and there was like lumps of clay like lumps in the tank, cleaned it out, used the same brand, not mixed brands, and never had the problem again.

i thought some couldnt be mixed, minerals synthetics etec oil cant be mixed with others and so on
    always used yamalube never had a issue

if the containers are sealed they should last a bloody long time, open bottles are the problem with moisture abosrbtion and oxygen

Motor oils typically have a shelf life of four to five years. There are several factors that can affect the life of oil, such as exposure to extreme heat temperature changes and moisture. It's better to store oil in its sealed container instead of opening it.

Google...

Evinrude Etec oil has no shelf life

Does 2 stroke engine oil go bad?

Does motor oil expire? Under optimal conditions (stored in the original, unopened containers at moderate temperatures), motor oil usually remains stable for an extended period of time. ... That said, an engine oil's properties are best if it is used within two years. After that, we recommend replacing the oil.

still seems to be a grey area. might just drain the tank under the cowling and check, as i have mixed several brands over the years!

Perhaps get one of the Aldi little hand pumps, should make it a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Perhaps get one of the Aldi little hand pumps, should make it a little easier.
    good idea, happen to have a hand pump from autobarn!

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    Is there a shelf life for 2st oil. I purchased six 10l sealed plastic bottles of Quicksilver Premium last year for a good price, and it looks like it's going to take a while to burn it up. i can't find anything that resembles a manufacture date?

I buy DFI Mercury OPTI oil in bulk - can be in the shed for 12-18 months - No issues to date and have had the motor for about 9 yrs.