Thread: Vetus plastic water tank.

Ausfish Silver Member

Plastimo plastic water tank.

Has anyone else purchased one of the Plastimo triangular water bow tanks?
    I got one for the Mustang 24 rather than build in a Vinylester tank, because it was cheap and easy.
    Right up until it leaked.
    I noticed water running down the cabin sole after I filled the tank, so I emptied it out, removed it from the boat and had a better look.
    It seems the bladder is larger than the blue cover, so when it is filled, the bladder has no choice but to fold on itself.
    I sealed off the filler and blew compressed air into the bladder to inflate it, and sure enough, heard air escaping.
    I determined that the air was not near any of the 2 fittings, so no choice but to open the cover to have a look.
    IMG_4143.jpg IMG_4139.jpg

The bladder is obviously much larger than the outer cover.

The result was creases, which over time perished and holed:
    IMG_4137.jpg

Obviously, I wouldn't waste my time even trying to repair it. It was so badly creased all over, who knows how many more holes will develop.

So i can only see 2 options.
    1 - Get a new bladder and take it to my friendly upholsterer and have him make a cover that actually fits the bladder;
    2 - Bite the bullet and mould a glass tank in, which I know will never leak, but is a lot of effort to build...

Anyone else had this problem?

What did you do?

Re: Vetus plastic water tank.

There is a 3rd option - possibly not suitable due to access but a poly tank welded up will definitely be strong enough and will not leak provided the fittings are installed properly. We use them for sewage tanks on the tugs (DEFINITELY don't want them leaking).

Ausfish Silver Member

My apologies to Vetus.
    The offending tank is a Plastimo.
    I have amended the thread accordingly.

I have one and so far its OK.

I fill it carefully so it does not get pressure in it. Suspect the way to get life out of these is with a gravity fill set up so they never are exposed to tap presure which is pretty significant if you put a gauge on it..

I have not done it but a hose fitting with a tee to allow pressure and water to bypass the tank as it fills might be worth considering.

Given the price of these vs the alternatives why not git it another go but avoid pressure filling This mob seem to have competitive pricing cf to W;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

.https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/pl...ularity-desc&q

Cheers
    Chimo

PS or this type from Ruth if you have the space https://www.boatgearaustralia.com.au...l-blue-plastic
    What could go wrong.......................

Ausfish Silver Member

I found another brand of plastic tank at Sam Allen Wholesale.
    They said that they have never had a return on any of their bow tanks, so I am very tempted to get one.
    It will save a LOT of work (and mess) if I don't have to build in a glass tank.

$200 plus for the S A tanks vs $90 odd for the other leaves a lot of $s to buy a tee to take the pressure off the tank when your filling it with water?

Ausfish Silver Member

I just had an epiphany.
    I'll take the Plastimo bladder to the Inflatable boat repair guy at Hemmant to cure the leak, then have a custom cover made that will not cause the bladder to crease.
    That should fix it...

rig the pressure limiter too and you should be sweet so to speak.

Ausfish Silver Member

So I went to the inflatable boat repair guy who refused to take my money to repair the bladder, but he did sell me his preferred plastic glue and some material and gave me idiot proof instructions on how to properly repair the holes.

I did exactly what he said, filled the bladder and gave it 25mm of head pressure for 3 days.

Yippi ki ay! No leaks!

Put it back into the terribly made original outer sleeve, filled the tank, and it all leaked out within 45 minutes.

The next day, I went ot Sam Allens, bought a 100litre triangular tank, fitted it and plumbed it to the boat, filled it and then promptly threw the Plastimo in the bin.
    The new bladder is better built in that it is of thicker material and has not been squished into a too small sleeve which caused the bladder to fold, crease and fracture..

It has been in for 3 weeks now and has copped a couple very fast runs across the bay and hasn't leaked a drop.

Job done, I'd say...

Ausfish Platinum Member

I put one of their 60 litre bladders in the Reefrunner a bit over 12 months ago. I've had no problems or leaks. I only fill via gravity, after fitting a 2" poly tube with a ball valve on it, which I can lift out of the bunk space to reach with a hose or even a jerry if necessary. But, ultimately, you couldn't beat a welded poly tank.