Thread: Repropping.

Repropping.

So, I have made a few posts about my rebuilt/repowered Ventura, okay you're probably sick of them by now.
    But I have another question for the brains trust here.
    15 model Suzuki df140a.
    I have mentioned that I think it may be a little under propped. On my initial test runs it was pulling 6200+RPM and around 35kts, still feeling like it wanted to keep going.
    It's a 19p prop.
    I have possibly found a 21p for a good price, but just wondering what likely changes I will experience with a 21p prop?
    I don't mind how it runs right now to be honest (but it is more trim sensitive now, can porpoise a little if I don't get it right, but the old motor had a hydrofoil so maybe I am not used to not having one).
    Will a 21p prop likely be a game changer? Or slightly better? Quicker?
    Think I will get a hydrofoil again, so prop and hydro? Or wasting my money, go the hydrofoil alone?
    Tossing up just getting the prop and having a go, at least then I have a spare on board......
    I dunno, opinions?

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Repropping.

Thanks mate. Just read through that.
    Seems to be a lot of variation in props that work on different boats.
    I guess I am 90% happy with what I have now, probably more, to be honest I am stoked with how it goes, so might stick with the 19p and chuck a hydrofoil on as that's what I am used to......

Hi Gford,
    What is the 140 suppose to rev out to ?, I'm in familiar with the Tec details on the 14.
    Wouldn't you just need to prop it correctly so it can achieve it's max intended Rev's ???.
    How far off of this are you ??

Col

I went the mercury 4 blade as referenced here:
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...40-prop-advice
    From the standard alloy that came with my DF140A the 4 blade lost a couple of km top end but hole shot, grip, economy and stern lift are excellent.
    You really notice the grip when idiling off the beach in reverse and in tight high speed turns,

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Hi Gford,
    What is the 140 suppose to rev out to ?, I'm in familiar with the Tec details on the 14.
    Wouldn't you just need to prop it correctly so it can achieve it's max intended Rev's ???.
    How far off of this are you ??

Col
    It's meant to be WOT at 6200.
    Mine gets this and feels like it wants to keep going.
    Admittedly that was fresh after the boat was rebuilt, and test run was conducted basically empty.
    I reckon if I gave it a run now with seats, bimini, rocket launcher and gear, it might be better......
    Either way it's a rocket ship until WOT, so not too fussed. Seems like messing with props might be a can of worms and not achieve a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave422 View Post
    I went the mercury 4 blade as referenced here:
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...40-prop-advice
    From the standard alloy that came with my DF140A the 4 blade lost a couple of km top end but hole shot, grip, economy and stern lift are excellent.
    You really notice the grip when idiling off the beach in reverse and in tight high speed turns,
    Yeah, might be something for me to look at in future, starting to go off the reprop idea now...

The Suzuki OEM Stainless 3 x 14 x 20” is a very popular and effective prop on the 115/140 engines.

Thats what I run on my 115 on my Surtees 550 Workmate. Pretty well perfect.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    The Suzuki OEM Stainless 3 x 14 x 20” is a very popular and effective prop on the 115/140 engines.

Thats what I run on my 115 on my Surtees 550 Workmate. Pretty well perfect.
    Sweet, will keep an eye out.