Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Bar Crushers - why so many for sale

Re: Bar Crushers - why so many for sale

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Problem is with designing to guys the lighter u go u need to factor that in look at the bowdidge marine sea strike 16 the chines sit clear of the water at rest the problem was supposedly guys using to light of plywoodin the build there is one on ebay for sale shows it floating
    Just had look at that boat on eBay, oh dear, what's that saying about ,,,,only a mother could love.
    Good effort but the finishing off is rough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Never did quite understand when people say weight is what makes a boat ride best, if that was all there was to it, then simply adding ballast would be common, how about you try this, get a (say) 4 m flat bottom punt, put a couple of hundred KG in it and go for a run in some chop, you are going to get pounded, now get a 4m Webster twin hull with little weight in the same chop! Weight is not the end of the story, shape pays a way bigger part in ride than material of construction or how heavy it is.
    I'll go out on a limb here …… I still believe that weight plays a significant part in the ride of a boat - Hull shape & design the other. We really shouldn't throw a flat bottom punt Vs a twin hull in as an example …… but regardless the Webster will be heavier.

When you compare alloy to glass in similar guise / size - you'll see the significant weight difference …… then you typically see that the maximum HP rating will be higher for the glass boat ( bigger motor = greater weight) - but also greater weight at the transom which equates to a softer landing .
    Back to Bar crusher - this weight factor is a major consideration with the addition of the Bar flap - Keep the water in the chamber to add weight & improve the ride in choppy conditions ……. & it works.
    Once you start to go up in the larger size plate Aluminium boats you generally don't hear of complaints about ride .

Yes weight plays its part without a doubt.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I agree it does, but, not on its own, like most things, it's a compromise, simply making something heavy is not going to guarantee a good ride, neither does making it out of glass instead of aluminium, those old near flat bottom glass Prides were a horrible ride in even small chop, and they were big heavy boats, everything has to come together as a well designed package.

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Just had look at that boat on eBay, oh dear, what's that saying about ,,,,only a mother could love.
    Good effort but the finishing off is rough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah that one is very rough did u see all the dents? How the chines sit clear of the water was supposedly of guys using 550kg m3 plywood instead of 700kg m3 plywood whats the chances it was a design flaw because the builders were the guiny pigs rather than the designer building one him self before publishing the design for sale

how many litres can you hold in the chamber, and does the chamber get bigger as the model size get bigger, thats a very good design idea the water ballast.

Interesting question. They are fine I reckon. I've spent 3 days in a 670 hard top with a 200hp Yammie at the top of Fraser and a day out the front here in their smallest hard top about 5.5m with a 115 Zuke whatever that model is. Maybe just heaps around so heaps on the market. People outgrow them quick. The guy with the 670 stepped up from the smaller centre console one and was sick of getting wet. He then outgrew the 670 and got a custom Moda with a bigger fuel tank and a bit heavier but then he is paying for it at the bowser. He was a cashed up guy that liked the whole just being able to buy them from a dealer scenario. The Moda build meant numerous trips to the builder and a totally different process.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    how many litres can you hold in the chamber, and does the chamber get bigger as the model size get bigger, thats a very good design idea the water ballast.
    I believe that my 615 holds around 300 lts and from my understanding it does vary with the size of the boat.
    I don’t have a bar flap but am considering it after going for a recent run in one fitted with one .

The down own side of the ballast Hull is that it does increase the draft in shallow water and for god sake don’t beach one transom first on a falling tide ..... pretty well makes the boat immovable.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yep agree Smithy ..... there are many owners that upgrade their Bar crushers ...... some have had 2 or 3 and work their way up. . I can see myself going again with a bigger WR like a 730

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The flooded keel works brilliantly on Sea Devils. Shallow water accessibility being the trade off.

BC deadrise really doesnt seem that deep for having a water ballast hull.

300 kilos of added weight and a flap to trap the water in , gotta be happy with that, say for example the wind got up and a following sea from hell erupted, the flexability in adding ballast or dropping for suitable conditions is awesome.

I've been scouring the websites for a boat for 15 years, didn't like what I could afford & couldn't afford what I liked. During all of this research I formed the opinion that the best indicator of a good quality boat was it's lack of advertisements. It won't be the cheapest, but that's a different discussion. Try to find an AMM or Moda which lasts more than a few weeks for sale, they aren't there often & don't last long when they are.
    I've never owned a Barcrusher, from my research I don't think they're a top shelf boat but they'll be ok for 99% of recreational boaties & should last just as long as any other alloy boat. Depends how hard core you are about your boats design/quality I guess.

In an earlier comment someone said that barcrusher set the standard yrs ago and other builders followed them. Please, what a joke that is.

To answer the question, there are heaps around sold new and 2nd hand. They are an ok boat but for similar money you can get a custom built fisher, rip tide etc.

[QUOTE=jclay1773;1658276]In an earlier comment someone said that barcrusher set the standard yrs ago and other builders followed them. Please, what a joke that is.

Barcrusher set the standard or stole it?
    Cheers
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Heliduck View Post
    I've been scouring the websites for a boat for 15 years, didn't like what I could afford & couldn't afford what I liked. During all of this research I formed the opinion that the best indicator of a good quality boat was it's lack of advertisements. It won't be the cheapest, but that's a different discussion. Try to find an AMM or Moda which lasts more than a few weeks for sale, they aren't there often & don't last long when they are.
    I've never owned a Barcrusher, from my research I don't think they're a top shelf boat but they'll be ok for 99% of recreational boaties & should last just as long as any other alloy boat. Depends how hard core you are about your boats design/quality I guess.
    You've just mentioned 2 brands of trailer boat that I would love to own …… & if I ever won the big one - I would be knocking on their doors within days to discuss building my ideal trailer boat .

OK …… but back to reality - How many boats do these guys build a year ? …… secondly how much will you spend on building one compared to other brands ? You pay 25-40 % more ……. but hey it's all class . A lot (if not most) fishoes would struggle to spend $100K on a new 7m centre console ……. try $125K + for an AMM & tricked up $150K plus ….. It's for these reasons you don't see many on the market …… they just don't make many & those that are built are usually purpose built for people that are cashed up & know exactly what they want .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO