Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ali boat build

Ali boat build

I found this online whilst searching for my next boat and thought people might find it interesting. A fair amount of work goes into fabricating these boats. Was fabricated in Perth
    Last edited by Paul071978; 10-08-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Additional information

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Ali boat build

A LOT of work goes ito fabricating these boats, fully labour intensive. And it all has to be kept square and true while being welded. And then, if you want a really high standard of finish, a lot of work goes into bogging it up to cover welds and irregularities along the visible areas--the "high end "ali plate boats have an amount of bog along the sides of the hull you wouldn't accept in a car repair job. (if you knew about it) all to try to get a finish comparable with GRP.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    A LOT of work goes ito fabricating these boats, fully labour intensive. And it all has to be kept square and true while being welded. And then, if you want a really high standard of finish, a lot of work goes into bogging it up to cover welds and irregularities along the visible areas--the "high end "ali plate boats have an amount of bog along the sides of the hull you wouldn't accept in a car repair job. (if you knew about it) all to try to get a finish comparable with GRP.
    Its a very good point, Ranmar.I don't understand the obsession with all the grinding of welds,fairing and bogging every imperfection in the alloy hulls to try and make them something that they are not....they are always going to be a tinny and most are just used for fishing anyway...If you want and expect a very high level of finish go for the GRP..but also expect to have to maintain it to a higher degree than a "tinny"....

If I wasn't so rough on gear and dragging boats up on rocky beachs and banging into things in the mangroves I would have went for a glass boat...I dunno why people who do mainly offshore fishing buy alloy over glass..

Interesting video though thanks for posting it..!

Suprised to see a modern boat building process using jigs and porta powers in the same build do u think the continuous welding is pulling the panels out of shape? maybe a porta power is a regular thing i have not seen many builds of big alloy boats the ones i have also seen start from the hull skins up these guys start from the sides down than up weird process but loved that build video that boat looks shit hot better than a bar crusher, any idea how they joint the windscreen panels along the vertical seam?

My across the road neighbour built quite a few one off custom boats, and he never bogged anything, his welds were so neat, he reckoned they should be displayed! mind you, building to make money on a time schedule would make things a lot different.

Good point regarding the hogging of welds. I was looking at a secondhand plate just recently. It was a 2005 from well known brand built here in Perth and you could easily see the painted bog in the most visible areas cracking and starting to break down after an extended period of sun exposure. It wasn’t a good look at all.

Good point regarding the hogging of welds. I was looking at a secondhand plate just recently. It was a 2005 from well known brand built here in Perth and you could easily see the painted bog in the most visible areas cracking and starting to break down after an extended period of sun exposure. It wasn’t a good look at all.

Apologies double post. Just a two man band by the looks and they seem to do everything from manufacture to paint full fit out and also engine fitting. Also going to say the groovy sound mix makes for easy watching too

Ausfish Platinum Member

There was a recent post, somewhere on here I think, with a link re a topline ali boat builder from Brisbane. The builder was telling us how he got a good finsih everywhere, if required, by bogging. Including down the side of the hull, where a dark paint job really shows up the imperfections. He promised that there would be "no more than 3mm of filler anywhere" . Erp. Personally, if I had an ali plate, I wouldn't even have it painted. If you want a bluewater boat, get glass. If you want a boat you can drag across rocks, strand on beaches, and bump reefs with, why get it painted? Yeah, resale, but you'll save a heap by not having it painted. Can't put lipstick on a pig. I can remember a mate being upset when we got bill marks from a 400lb Blue on the side of his Barcrusher. What did you buy it for? Bill marks on the Reefrunner are just marks across the waterline tape and name. Battle scars.
    He was happy with his 615 gen 2 BC, until he did four days on my Reefrunner in a billfish comp. Just like I thought BC's were OK until I did the same comp the year before on his BC. And compared experiences on our Monties trip across rough water, which I posted about earlier. The BC is now for sale, and he s looking at glass boats in the 6M range.

My boat new boat just about has the hot work complete & the areas around the cabin & transom where a smooth look is important are all sanded smooth, not bogged. Rolled side plates versus bent side plates makes for a smooth finish as well. Best finish on a ally boat I’ve ever seen, google extreme boats & you’ll see what I mean. They look good in the water, but unlike most plate boats they look even better up close!

Can't say that boat was especially good looking, with that kind of bent curved bow, why don't alloy boats have some sort of rubber gunnel strip? I have several mates with various brand plate boats, and none of them have any sort of rubbing strip, you get side on to a jetty, you take off paint

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heliduck View Post
    My boat new boat just about has the hot work complete & the areas around the cabin & transom where a smooth look is important are all sanded smooth, not bogged. Rolled side plates versus bent side plates makes for a smooth finish as well. Best finish on a ally boat I’ve ever seen, google extreme boats & you’ll see what I mean. They look good in the water, but unlike most plate boats they look even better up close!
    You can't sand out where the welding distorts the side plates when internal supports are welded in, and it is impossible to avoid that, even with good practice. And that will show up when painted, particularly with dark gloss.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    You can't sand out where the welding distorts the side plates when internal supports are welded in, and it is impossible to avoid that, even with good practice. And that will show up when painted, particularly with dark gloss.
    It is all about where you weld and how you weld that decides the outcome.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Suprised to see a modern boat building process using jigs and porta powers in the same build do u think the continuous welding is pulling the panels out of shape? maybe a porta power is a regular thing i have not seen many builds of big alloy boats the ones i have also seen start from the hull skins up these guys start from the sides down than up weird process but loved that build video that boat looks shit hot better than a bar crusher, any idea how they joint the windscreen panels along the vertical seam?
    Not done much fab work??
    Porta powers are a common tool is many workshops for exactly what these guys used them for. Mine get used almost daily in the workshop.
    Did you notice the work bench was also articulated and hydraulically controlled?
    Jack.

awesome video and professional build , l like the look of this zeypher however the pontoon is one long air tight chamber, where as i think stabi craft has multible air tight chambers. the windows are a interesting . has anyone rode in these pontoon boats , whats it like?