Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Bar Crushers - why so many for sale

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Bar Crushers - why so many for sale

Gaz,
    modern plate designs have come along way in 20 years. The modifications at design to suit personal needs are leaps and bounds to what they were. I’m personally a fibreglass fan, but can totally see the benefits of custom layouts of plate boats. Moda, Riptide, amm, performance plate, offshore marine master, rebel and others are another level from off the shelf plate boats. My biggest concern Is do these wonderful boats have the ability to financially complete the project. For example- fisher gone, Fisher 2 gone, origin gone, Bluewater gone. Amongst others.

its discerning to lay out coin for a custom built plate boat when history suggests that you may be in a world of hurt if they go bust.

You make big claims about barcrusher yet you aren’t aware that bc was a surtees boat sold in Aus. Bc the company was then started using this hull.

As i said earlier, bc and surtees are nice boats but neither lead the way in plate. 6m boats that carry 150ltrs and have a 150 outboard sure are not leading edge. I have read a bit about price, a bc is not cheap. Can get a fisher, riptide etc for similar price.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliduck View Post
    When I got quotes for a Stabicraft 2400 & an AMM 7.4 the AMM was heaps cheaper. Not many of us can afford exactly what we want so it’s always going to be a compromise. In my experience Most kiwi boats are very expensive, I got quotes for Surtees, Barcrusher & Stabicraft, none of them could compete with AMM for price & quality. The white pointer & Extreme are leagues ahead of all of them in quality of build & options available as standard, but have you seen the price of a white pointer?!?! The other consideration is service, when I was ready to buy I tried to get a 2 year old quote updated by AMM & they never responded to e-mails, answered the phone or responded to my voicemail messages, that’s the price of success I guess.
    My compromise was an extreme 745 game king, had everything I wanted in the cabin straight from the factory, my only modification was to fit a minn Kota mount. Got a great deal from the boat show & best welding I’ve ever seen on a boat (including Moda).
    From what I have seen, one thing the Kiwi's seem to have become very, very good at is aluminium welding. Doesn't seem to matter what brand of boat it is, if it's out of NZ the welding is very tidy.

As for the Surtee's / Barcrusher thing - The Surtee's is the Original. My understanding was that in the early days of Barcrusher, they were using the Surtee's design under license. There was some kerfuffle at one stage - possibly to do with sufficient changes being made to make design copyright null and void - can't remember for sure and the two companies fell out of favour with each other and hence Surtee's came to our shores under there own name. As far as I know, they are entirely separate from each other now.

Yeah Ducks im not really into the whole technical side just because i can only dream of a $80,000 boat i'd never in my life be able to afford one so dont teally look at them i just take in dribs and drabs of what i hear, i know next to nothing about the private builders but of late have heard on here they are dropping like flies wonder why when bar crusher is absolutely booming

Maybe its the supply to demand bar crusher is smashing them out while old mate is doing 4 a month on the custom side? I am only speculating

Was watching something last night on tv or youtube they say the last move a business makes is to take on workers, more workers more labor and jobs being completed in my eyes

Was on youtube watching some of the American tinnies being built thy looked about 14 footers with 115hp i was like wow that thing would fang i noticed they were right into putting in nice tig welds on there boats to these beads were done in 2013 i had the pics on my fb page

These were 2 of my very first alloy tig welds i ran on my second day of ever picking up a tig torch sadly my skills suck bad eye sight and hand wobble plus i dont know how to properly clean aluminium for a porosity free weld

Geez i thought they were a fair bit cheaper than what they are..

I'm told this 670 is the equivalent of a 6.25m Noble and its on special for 95K.....

The only reason I could see why someone would buy this over a custom built platey is the convenience of a ready to go package and as mentioned above perhaps some apprehension about outlaying such big money with a small businessman with no guarantee that they not go bankrupt during the build and you losing your money..

https://www.millardmarine.com.au/boa...rusher-670c-2/

What is the kind of deposit one needs to lay down to have a custom boat built?

That will depend greatly I think. I laid down $5k on $150k boat. That was to be on waiting list. Then about $20k once started for first lot of materials then ongoing progress payments as works done. Pretty much like doing a house renno. \

Seemed reasonable to me although a few ppl have come unstuck if builder goes under in middle of build. That is the risk you take when getting something custom. Wouldnt be too many (if any) boats Id buy from a show room though. Most arent my cup of tea but understand they do appeal to the masses.

It seems like Surtees just build boats without all the trumpets blowing, they come up with the ideas and then they appear on Barcrushers later, either way, very similar boats, originally in a partnership that failed and the "owners" went seperate ways.

https://www.surteesboats.com/why-sur...ut-and-awards/
    they are made in nz took 10 seconds to find out

and gazza has me blocked but man he talks some shit arguing over which was built first
    surtess came first as they were being manufactured in nz for years before they decided to try Australia, what happened after that i dont know
    but you can still buy both in aus and they both have slightly different pros n cons based on differences that have appeared since the split

id gladly own one, but dont need one as im currently living 5 hours towing distance from the coast

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    As for the Surtee's / Barcrusher thing - The Surtee's is the Original. My understanding was that in the early days of Barcrusher, they were using the Surtee's design under license. There was some kerfuffle at one stage - possibly to do with sufficient changes being made to make design copyright null and void - can't remember for sure and the two companies fell out of favour with each other and hence Surtee's came to our shores under there own name. As far as I know, they are entirely separate from each other now.
    Not quite right - early days, BC imported fully welded hulls and fitted them out here. Dont forget that “Barcrusher” was actually the 6m model from Surtees. In Australia BC became the brand name.

After a while they asked Surtees to send them over flat packed after the sheets were router cut to save freight costs. Sometime after that point the design was, ah, shall we say copied. Lawsuits followed. Very serious stuff. I gathered that Surtees may not have had their international patents nailed down as well as they should have. That was the cause of the “falling out” that you refer to.

I dont know the details of the lawsuits outcome beyond that, other than there is now nothing stopping Surtees bringing their boats into Au as they do, but BC cannot import theirs into NZ.

They are of course totally separate companies.

Surtees are more than happy to customise their boats for owners, within reason. I think they would be able to accommodate most requests. I regularly see custom jobs on their FB appreciation page.

I had several relatively minor changes to mine when I ordered it nearly 10 years ago. Eg the folding hardtop increased in height, larger fuel tank capacity.

BC wouldnt entertain any such changes, I asked at the time. Flat no.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks Moonlighter, knew you’d know what went down from previous posts regarding this issue from years ago.

Thanks Moonlighter. I knew there was a legel shite fight but couldn't remember the details. Didn't know that they imported fully welded hulls to start with or the flat packs. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Geez i thought they were a fair bit cheaper than what they are..

I'm told this is the equivalent of a 6.25m Noble and its on special for 95K.....

The only reason I could see why someone would buy this over a custom built platey is the convenience of a ready to go package and as mentioned above perhaps some apprehension about outlaying such big money with a small businessman with no guarantee that they not go bankrupt during the build and you losing your money..

https://www.millardmarine.com.au/boa...rusher-670c-2/

Spot on. I’ve just had a custom 6.2 built, 6.8loa. You get a heap more boat with a custom builder. Maybe those who comment should research the topic more.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    If that is the case than u can technically say Surtees and Bar Crusher have both been out as long as each other although different brands same owners and designs

For a coming on to 20 year design they look like they were designed yesterday i personally havent seen anything more fresh than both of those c9mpanys designs to date
    Check out Moda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁