Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Bar Crushers - why so many for sale

Re: Bar Crushers - why so many for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    One of the big reasons why many people go with the factory built plateys from larger manufacturers over the small operators is a little but hugely important word:

RISK.

Risks fall basically in 2 areas, and you have to consider the likelihood of those things happening and then the consequences if they do.

HUMAN CAPITAL DEFICIENCIES
    - the small one-man operator may not have the human capital in the business to continue in the event that a key individual has a serious injury or health issue or death, resulting in the business disappearing or, at a minimum, major delays for the customers
    - limited to recruit and retain suitably qualified staff or replace them if they leave, or to ramp up production if customer orders increase (read - delays and waiting time for the customers blow out)

FINANCIAL CAPITAL DEFICIENCIES
    - the small builders may not have the financial capital in the business to properly finance a professional operation
    - may not have the $ to buy or maintain the latest equipment or invest in training
    - may require purchasers to finance the boat during the build process, and the consequences are either that the customer loses their money, or if the customer defaults, the business is stuck with a boat that was built to one person’s specific requirements and may not be easy to quickly sell to someone else.
    - while they may be excellent trades people, that doesnt mean they will be good business or financial managers.
    - may be unwilling or unable to afford to invest in professional services of people like naval architects to ensure their designs are safe and seaworthy, and that the designs can be drawn up in CAD programs and then computer cut to a degree of accuracy that they can never achieve otherwise.

On Ausfish we have seen numerous examples of plate builders who have come and gone and often reappeared only to do it all over again due to one or more of the above risk factors coming into play. The consequences are almost always that customer loses out big time.

The evidence is that the larger “factory” builders are better placed to deal with all of these risk factors, as they have necessarily invested in both the human and financial capital to run a large operation.

All of that leads to confidence for the customer that the business will deliver the product ordered, and be there to support it post purchase.

I remember dealing direct with Surtees for my boat (at the time they had no Qld dealer so I dealt direct with the factory mainly by email and imported it myself).

I paid a very small deposit AND PAID NOTHING FURTHER until the boat was finished and I had detailed photos sent to me to show that it was built exactly as ordered and was ready to be loaded into the shipping container. I received progress photos as the job went along.

I also knew that at Surtees, one person builds every boat, so there is a high degree of personal pride and commitment that goes into every boat. The builder puts their initials on the boat under the duckboards as a mark or their pride.

So Surtees are not a typical production line operation like the big Aussie alloy builders.

The risk to me of the whole project was very low, and the process made me feel quite comfortable as a customer.

So in many ways in can all depend on what the risk assessment people call the customer’s RISK APPETITE. In short, how much risk you are prepared to tolerate to get the result you are after.
    Thanks for that post Moonlighter that cleared up a lot of the gray area, Good to see that Surtees only asked for a deposit i have only just recently heard of tradies asking for part payment as they progress i had never heard of anything like it but sure beats having over a wod of cash and they go bust, Not everyone is made of money and everything in Australia cost a fortune when your talking 80k plus boats that is one heck of a coin someone had to have saved and if your up to 50k in payments and the business goes bust wouldn't u just fall on your knees geez just the thought....

this may be the reason there are tons of Bar Crushers being purchased new over the years because the likely hood of being ripped off is little perhaps?

i still think the "Bar" in Bar Crusher is what it gives u sex on water... i thought they were a 77k boat now people are mentioning 100k?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Thanks for that post Moonlighter that cleared up a lot of the gray area, Good to see that Surtees only asked for a deposit i have only just recently heard of tradies asking for part payment as they progress i had never heard of anything like it but sure beats having over a wod of cash and they go bust, Not everyone is made of money and everything in Australia cost a fortune when your talking 80k plus boats that is one heck of a coin someone had to have saved and if your up to 50k in payments and the business goes bust wouldn't u just fall on your knees geez just the thought....

this may be the reason there are tons of Bar Crushers being purchased new over the years because the likely hood of being ripped off is little perhaps?

i still think the "Bar" in Bar Crusher is what it gives u sex on water... i thought they were a 77k boat now people are mentioning 100k?
    Sorting by price on Boatsales shows them starting at 165k. They look ok and are probably fine but nothing so special as to get hot and heavy about.

Matt

Are the bar crushers holding their value on the used market ?

Gazza your rig could be the blend of crusher looks and glass solidarity, like it could be the first BAR BARION Mk 1.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    Are the bar crushers holding their value on the used market ?

Gazza your rig could be the blend of crusher looks and glass solidarity, like it could be the first BAR BARION Mk 1.
    As an example, in regards to re-sale value from a personal experience, I paid 42k for my 2006 560c crusher with a 135 honda( beautiful engine) it had 80 odd hours on her and was well looked after from a elderly gentleman from Gympie. In the 2 years I had her I put another 240 hours on her with minimal maintenance other Gary “Spaniard king” on here servicing her. I did not cover or keep it under cover etc and sold her for 43k!
    Only boat (and I’ve had a few) to actually make a profit from a used boat. I believe the marketing/advertising on these boats are second to none.
    Imagine if a respectable plate builder had the finance to advertise their boats like that.
    Riptide are in my opinion top of the line. They simply don’t need to advertise.

Cat u could be on to something i think my boat was a beauty queen in some era but she is lacking that sex appeal now lol

Wow Ducks you have to be happy with that 2 years use and u get more than u paid

A good case of this is buy in winter sell in summer blokes go wild over boats in summer and wouldnt even give them a second thought in 10c chilly winter days

I guess in a very broad sense, Barcrusher kind of fits between the mass produced, pressed tinny and the full on, one off custom build, they are kind of "off the shelf" but a bit up market (maybe)

https://www.northsidemarine.com.au/v...e-yamaha-f70la

this is what i considered for botany bay the hawksbury maybe the fads on a good day
    but then saw a explorer 500 second hand that was very tidy and went that instead

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    https://www.northsidemarine.com.au/v...e-yamaha-f70la

this is what i considered for botany bay the hawksbury maybe the fads on a good day
    but then saw a explorer 500 second hand that was very tidy and went that instead
    Agreed. The boat you choose is in the end must serve the intended purpose of what you want it to do. That said, anyone that would consider a boat designed for its intention and try to push its designed purposes is fraught with danger. Please don’t flame me. It’s just my opinion.

I have see one or two of those 5 meter bar crushers at botany bay ramp they look tiny the bar crushes i was looking at and think are a sexy boat are the slightly bigger hard top models

That 5m surtees would be ok river boat or bay boat

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Agreed. The boat you choose is in the end must serve the intended purpose of what you want it to do. That said, anyone that would consider a boat designed for its intention and try to push its designed purposes is fraught with danger. Please don’t flame me. It’s just my opinion.
    nothing to flame

both boats would have done the job, the 4.95 and 5.5 workmates were being used by kiwis to run bars worse then anything we have here every weekend
    just 40k versus a good second boat for 23k was the main reason at the time, just figured why spend money when I didn't have too.

also the surtees were doing the nyialac (excuse spelling) coating and just liked the look better

Bar crusher marketing and image is well done, im not suprised they are holding value on second hand market, its a tough looking boat sitting next to a quintrex in the same yard , of course it grabs ones attention and just the name Bar crusher has me already crossing the Narooma bar backwards in one ,

The barcrushers on sale would probably be mostly the smaller series, where as people upgraded to glass but your guess is as good as mine

My take on the Barcrusher phenomenon is multifaceted .

1) Extensive range ( & each one is built as solid as the next)
    2) Build quality ( very few boats on the market would be better) - eg Welds - Finish is excellent.
    3) Quality of fittings / electricals - lot's of standard features - boarding ladders , kill tanks , duel batteries , live bait tanks , welded rod holders
    4) Design - Many having the ability to be stored in standard garages or carports due to folding T Tops , Hard tops & screens
    5) Sustained reputation over 2 decades
    6) 5 Year Warranty
    7) Word & mouth in combination with effective advertising.
    8) "BARCRUSHER"

With Barcrusher's fitting between the mass produced pressed tinny (such as Quintrex) & the full custom built plate boat they are well positioned to take advantage of the market. …… As mentioned by others with less risk when placing an order at probably 3/4 the price of a custom platey.
    Hence why so many are sold .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Tabs???, look solidly built.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    My take on the Barcrusher phenomenon is multifaceted .

1) Extensive range ( & each one is built as solid as the next)
    2) Build quality ( very few boats on the market would be better) - eg Welds - Finish is excellent.
    3) Quality of fittings / electricals - lot's of standard features - boarding ladders , kill tanks , duel batteries , live bait tanks , welded rod holders
    4) Design - Many having the ability to be stored in standard garages or carports due to folding T Tops , Hard tops & screens
    5) Sustained reputation over 2 decades
    6) 5 Year Warranty
    7) Word & mouth in combination with effective advertising.
    8) "BARCRUSHER"

With Barcrusher's fitting between the mass produced pressed tinny (such as Quintrex) & the full custom built plate boat they are well positioned to take advantage of the market. …… As mentioned by others with less risk when placing an order at probably 3/4 the price of a custom platey.
    Hence why so many are sold .

Chris

I agree with with most of what you said but they aren’t 3/4 the price of a custom. The same size barcrusher was dearer than my build. The trident was also dearer. A barcrusher is an ok boat, not so the trident.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Tabs???, look solidly built.
    Shockingly built. There is a video on the net somewhere showing one being built. Very average sub structure and build process.