Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Bar Crushers - why so many for sale

Re: Bar Crushers - why so many for sale

From what i can see boats like bar crusher and surtees are modern entry level boats into the hard top scene now that moda boat looks to be a step up into the luxury boating hard tops but the prices wouldnt be comparable surely that moda 8000 looks huge and heavy i read 4450kg whats a bar crusher of similar size weigh 3000/3500kg? Let me check... because one or two of u will like to shoce that "guess" up my ass... ht780 is actully light as a shot glass of beer.. 2380kg and rated to 1x 300hp that moda 8000 is rated 2x 300hp whats the give?

I always seen bar crusher as a trend setter back on 2000 on the weekend worrior market there were nothing like them all these custom boats being built since are dollowing there lead in a modern slick hard top looking design now settle down fellas im not saying the bar crusher is far superior because custom is a league of its own these days but bar crusher are great for what they are u can tow one with a family car without breaking out at buying a land rover with 4000kg towing ing limit

Can someone actually show me hard top designs from the 1990 era that look m9re modern than bar crushers? I have never seen it that is why i personally think bar crusher and surtees set the limit for sexyness

There were plenty of other builders around back then Gazza building heavier duty boats than the Surtee's and Barcrushers. Some of them are long gone - Sportfish, Fisher and so on but there are plenty still around. AMM https://australianmastermarine.com.au/ , Razorline https://www.razerline.com.au/gallery/ , Stagg https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...hardtop/233285 , Riptide https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/rip-tide/ just to name a few that I know of.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pacific plate sportfish would have to be late 90’s Gazza. The bullet proof series were built with 6mm plate and I believe the hull design went on to become Noble. Not sure if Ben Noble was the owner of sportfish or bought out the hull design. Lucky Phill who is a member and moderator on here will know about this as his tub is an original sportfish I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Pacific plate sportfish would have to be late 90’s Gazza. The bullet proof series were built with 6mm plate and I believe the hull design went on to become Noble. Not sure if Ben Noble was the owner of sportfish or bought out the hull design. Lucky Phill who is a member and moderator on here will know about this as his tub is an original sportfish I believe.
    https://www.boatsales.com.au/editori...uper-vee-9231/

Ok those are nice looking boats but bar crusher and surtees still had that really unique look like a tomorrows boat that real sex appeal in looks they were well modelled

All those years back the old Sportsfish design set the benchmark in soft riding, deep V hulls when they went to 24 degree deadrise with the big reverse chines ...…..and still as good as any of the new breed of Deep V custom monohull platey's…..

and Gaz you really need to open your eyes and look around...nothing wrong with the barcrushers but your hard-on for them is quite bizarre….

Even these Oceanic's have pretty nice lines and seem to be an affordable way to get into a platey..you can even buy the bare hulls and fit them out to what level you desire as you can afford it...you can get a 7.5 m bare hull for 40K.

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...r-cabin/192075

oceanic.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    All those years back the old Sportsfish design set the benchmark in soft riding, deep V hulls when they went to 24 degree deadrise with the big reverse chines ...…..and still as good as any of the new breed of Deep V custom monohull platey's…..

and Gaz you really need to open your eyes and look around...nothing wrong with the barcrushers but your hard-on for them is quite bizarre….

Even these Oceanic's have pretty nice lines and seem to be an affordable way to get into a platey..you can even buy the bare hulls and fit them out to what level you desire as you can afford it...you can get a 7.5 m bare hull for 40K.

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...r-cabin/192075

oceanic.jpg
    that thing is shot hot but are u sure thats a genuine sale? A lot of boat for $39,000 but if u look closely its two different boats pictured

From the ad
    7.5m Centre Cabin

Built to order, Photos for reference only.

Price for bare aluminium hull only, not including trailer.

no electronics wiring upholstery steering outboards trailer, its a 100+k boat and a awesome one at that

Guys I was just trying to demonstrate that there are lots of acheivable options out there rather than just laying down 100K on a mass produced Barcrusher...

For fella's that are generally a bit handy once you buy a good hull can you get someone to wire in the batteries and a main switchboard and then you can hook up and install some basic lighting and electrics yourself...?

Do you really need to spend 10-15k on sounder/gps/stereo etc or can you make do with 2-3-4K to start with ..?..Does it really mean you will catch heaps more fish if your sounder has a screen the size of a TV...?

Fancy seats,deckwash,seadeck flooring etc.?..maybe later..

Do you really need a 20K plus Aluminium trailer or will a much cheaper new or used Gal one do the job if set up correctly..?

A brand new outboard...? or can you find a low hours 2nd hand one for half the price of new....

Does it really need a 10K paintjob or are you happy with bare ally and maybe put a wrap on it at a later date...?

So many options out there and like everything in life the more you are willing to do and learn for yourself the more you can generally save despite the obvious fact that everything to do with boats costs money...

One of the big reasons why many people go with the factory built plateys from larger manufacturers over the small operators is a little but hugely important word:

RISK.

Risks fall basically in 2 areas, and you have to consider the likelihood of those things happening and then the consequences if they do.

HUMAN CAPITAL DEFICIENCIES
    - the small one-man operator may not have the human capital in the business to continue in the event that a key individual has a serious injury or health issue or death, resulting in the business disappearing or, at a minimum, major delays for the customers
    - limited to recruit and retain suitably qualified staff or replace them if they leave, or to ramp up production if customer orders increase (read - delays and waiting time for the customers blow out)

FINANCIAL CAPITAL DEFICIENCIES
    - the small builders may not have the financial capital in the business to properly finance a professional operation
    - may not have the $ to buy or maintain the latest equipment or invest in training
    - may require purchasers to finance the boat during the build process, and the consequences are either that the customer loses their money, or if the customer defaults, the business is stuck with a boat that was built to one person’s specific requirements and may not be easy to quickly sell to someone else.
    - while they may be excellent trades people, that doesnt mean they will be good business or financial managers.
    - may be unwilling or unable to afford to invest in professional services of people like naval architects to ensure their designs are safe and seaworthy, and that the designs can be drawn up in CAD programs and then computer cut to a degree of accuracy that they can never achieve otherwise.

On Ausfish we have seen numerous examples of plate builders who have come and gone and often reappeared only to do it all over again due to one or more of the above risk factors coming into play. The consequences are almost always that customer loses out big time.

The evidence is that the larger “factory” builders are better placed to deal with all of these risk factors, as they have necessarily invested in both the human and financial capital to run a large operation.

All of that leads to confidence for the customer that the business will deliver the product ordered, and be there to support it post purchase.

I remember dealing direct with Surtees for my boat (at the time they had no Qld dealer so I dealt direct with the factory mainly by email and imported it myself).

I paid a very small deposit AND PAID NOTHING FURTHER until the boat was finished and I had detailed photos sent to me to show that it was built exactly as ordered and was ready to be loaded into the shipping container. I received progress photos as the job went along.

I also knew that at Surtees, one person builds every boat, so there is a high degree of personal pride and commitment that goes into every boat. The builder puts their initials on the boat under the duckboards as a mark or their pride.

So Surtees are not a typical production line operation like the big Aussie alloy builders.

The risk to me of the whole project was very low, and the process made me feel quite comfortable as a customer.

So in many ways in can all depend on what the risk assessment people call the customer’s RISK APPETITE. In short, how much risk you are prepared to tolerate to get the result you are after.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Gazza stop staring at glossy brochures and get out in boats. So many better options than a bc.

Ps. Fisher are operating again and producing awesome boats.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jclay1773 View Post
    Gazza stop staring at glossy brochures and get out in boats. So many better options than a bc.

Ps. Fisher are operating again and producing awesome boats.
    Really? Is that under Svennson boats or as independent?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don’t really like the look of the bar crusher the oceanic example looks much more sensual

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Really? Is that under Svennson boats or as independent?

Svensson boats. I just had one built. 23* Hull with water ballast.