Thread: Suzuki DF140A fuel figures.

Suzuki DF140A fuel figures.

For anyone that is interested.
    I spent a few days camping on Straddie and took the boat down from Clontarf.
    Kept an eye on fuel use and KM travelled so that I knew how the new DF140A is on fuel. So for anyone that is interested, heres the figures from pretty good, long test.
    not 100% accurate maybe, but i reckon pretty close.
    The boat is my Seafarer Ventura 17ft half cab (pretty solid/heavy glass boat).
    Prop is a 19P 3 blade. Possibly a little underpropped, but will experiment with that some other time.
    Conditions were pretty nice, maybe 6-10inch chop (not enough to be uncomfortable and slow the boat down) for about 2/3 of the miles, other 1/3 was glassy.
    Boat was fairly loaded with camping gear, but just me and an 8 year old, so not super heavy (about 10km was loaded up really heavy as I picked up a mate and his tribe/gear from the ramp).
    I cruised down/back (about 60km each way) on about 22 Knots and 4800RPM (there seems to be a sweet spot there). Plus running around.
    Distance travelled was 174.64km (GPS).
    Fuel Used was 79L (41L in from jerries and a 38L topup when I got home).
    Averaging 2.21KM/L.
    This was real world boating, I could have driven more economically at times (sometimes you have to show your mates who is boss), but most was done at the 4800RPM/22KT cruising speed in average/good Moreton bay conditions.

Re: Suzuki DF140A fuel figures.

Good figures, pretty well exactly what I would have expected.

i take it you are just running the analog gauges, no network?
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Good figures, pretty well exactly what I would have expected.

i take it you are just running the analog gauges, no network?
    Yeah just analog at the moment.
    Big rebuild and repower left the budget a bit tight...…
    Keeping an eye out for a second hand NMEA2000 capable plotter to get engine data on, but no big rush at the moment.
    Other things getting the money priority right now.

Thanks for that GFord, thats great info.
    My boat is a touch longer and wider, but close and I'm down to two choices for the repower, the CT 115 Merc, or what your running the Suk 140.
    To me, compared to my big 2 stroke guzzler I removed, your figures would be revolutionary !.
    Thanks for sharing.

Col

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Thanks for that GFord, thats great info.
    My boat is a touch longer and wider, but close and I'm down to two choices for the repower, the CT 115 Merc, or what your running the Suk 140.
    To me, compared to my big 2 stroke guzzler I removed, your figures would be revolutionary !.
    Thanks for sharing.

Col
    No worries mate.
    Was keen to know how it went and figured that I would put the results on here as someone else might be interested in real world fuel figures.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Those figures sound very good for a heavy boat loaded with camping gear

My Barcrusher 615 WR with DF140 typically runs at around 2km / lt - running at 4500-4800 rpm in it's normal fishing guise .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey g i think u can buy a little screen that runs off the that network thingy i was looking them up for my Mercury its basically a little screen that goes in dash and givesbu all your read outs for the engine think it was $400

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey g i think u can buy a little screen that runs off the that network thingy i was looking them up for my Mercury its basically a little screen that goes in dash and givesbu all your read outs for the engine think it was $400
    I will have a look.
    I know lowrance do one, but it's more like 7-800.
    There's a wifi one advertised on facebook a lot for the 200 mark (Dunno if it's any good).
    Still need to finish off the canopy, do the cabin interior and see about a new prop, so unless a NMEA2000 capable plotter comes up real cheap, that's on the back burner......

Yeah i can't remember where i seen the one for $400 maybe it was on special i now see they are $700, My Mercury is capable with the Wifi too i think that's a really good option for u with your Suzuki u should be able to run it on a 10 inch android tablet

I have a Johnson DF140 on a V17C - so a very similar setup to yours. I have found that I am getting a very consistent 1 nm per litre with a mix a cruising, trolling and idling. I cruise at about 4000 rpm which gives me about 20 knots

Attachment 119690
    This is was yesterday’s figures for my Bonito 5.6 and DF140A.
    About 1/6 on Broadwater and the rest offshore in pretty good conditions though not flat.
    Half the trip at 4000rpm 40km/h (this is most economical speed) then mostly 4500 45km/h, and a couple of minutes maxed out at 6200rpm 62km/h.
    Works out to be 2.6km per litre.

Attachment 119690
    About 1/6 on Broadwater and the rest offshore in pretty good conditions though not flat.
    Half the trip at 4000rpm 40km/h (this is most economical speed) then mostly 4500 45km/h, and a couple of minutes maxed out at 6200rpm 62km/h.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave422 View Post
    Attachment 119690
    Sweet.
    Pretty similar figures to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by gford001 View Post
    I will have a look.
    I know lowrance do one, but it's more like 7-800.
    There's a wifi one advertised on facebook a lot for the 200 mark (Dunno if it's any good).
    Still need to finish off the canopy, do the cabin interior and see about a new prop, so unless a NMEA2000 capable plotter comes up real cheap, that's on the back burner......

If you come across a Simrad GO7xse model they would be worth grabbing. Suzuki (in USA at least) now makes an engine interface cable specifically to allow Simrad and Lowrance displays to show full engine data plus service reminders, fault codes etc. When connected to a Navico MFD with current software, you get a customised Suzuki dashboard appear.

So this cable allows you to do away with analogue gauges all together if you want to.

Plus the Simrad displays have a really neat feature called TripIntel that records all trips, including a chart of your course, plus a heap of fuel and related information, as well as long term statistics. Very neat stuff.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    If you come across a Simrad GO7xse model they would be worth grabbing. Suzuki (in USA at least) now makes an engine interface cable specifically to allow Simrad and Lowrance displays to show full engine data plus service reminders, fault codes etc. When connected to a Navico MFD with current software, you get a customised Suzuki dashboard appear.

So this cable allows you to do away with analogue gauges all together if you want to.

Plus the Simrad displays have a really neat feature called TripIntel that records all trips, including a chart of your course, plus a heap of fuel and related information, as well as long term statistics. Very neat stuff.
    Cheers, will keep an eye out.