Thread: Sounder wiring

Sounder wiring

How many people wire sounders right back to the battery terminals vs just running off the bus bars? Just interested as I'm putting a new one in.

Re: Sounder wiring

Provided the cables supplying the busbars is big enough, I always go to the busbars. If it's not, then I upgrade it and still go to the busbar. Extra wires with fuses hanging off battery terminals is a pet hate and usually a really good spot for corrosion related issues.

i go to the bus bar with the sounder plus everything else. only the vhf i put straight to the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    i go to the bus bar with the sounder plus everything else. only the vhf i put straight to the battery.
    Is that to prevent interference with reception for the VHF?

no real reason. i guess i figure the vhf is a robust unit and wont mind have extra length of cable. i just like having it seperate from the other wiring just in case the other wires short it out or what ever . and the sounder i choose to have a short run because its more sensitive to other noise and to maintain good power supply. im no sparky by all means . this is just how my thinking is.

i added a new sounder and 12 v lighting so the current terminal posts +/- under the steering wheel were "full" so i installed busbars and put all my new stuff on here. happy days and the boat didnt catch fire . yipppeeeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Is that to prevent interference with reception for the VHF?
    Usually not necessary. I would say 99+% of the VHF noise issues I have investigated were "airborne" (coming in via the antenna).