Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is an offshore boat?

Re: What is an offshore boat?

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post
    lol was going to say it appears that a soviet sub is not an offshore vessel either...but maybe too soon..
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Might be a good offshore boat, but I was told they are very wet!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Only if you forget to zip the clears up
    Maybe time for a new thread - Is an Akula submarine an offshore boat or just good for retrieving a cat from the Waddy gutter?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Maybe time for a new thread - Is an Akula submarine an offshore boat or just good for retrieving a cat from the Waddy gutter?

Matt
    It's a Typhoon Matt (I think)

Anyways in all seriousness I should have added piccies of a Viking longboat and a Polynesian outrigger. Both covered vast open ocean distances in their time in all sorts of conditions.
    I wouldn't go to Tangalooma on a flat day in either.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I protest, this thread has been hijacked by serious people.

Really we need to know? Anybody whose been out on a bad day already knows. The boat could always be a couple of foot longer. But hey, its something to write about.

The answer has to be 42. 16' glassboat doesnt cut it anymore. Use to in the old days but something has happened inbetween. 24' seems to be ok unless its really bad, days like perfect storm. So i conclude , the answer to everything is 42

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post

Really we need to know? Anybody whose been out on a bad day already knows. The boat could always be a couple of foot longer. But hey, its something to write about.

The answer has to be 42. 16' glassboat doesnt cut it anymore. Use to in the old days but something has happened inbetween. 24' seems to be ok unless its really bad, days like perfect storm. So i conclude , the answer to everything is 42
    If in doubt, pick "c".

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    It's a Typhoon Matt (I think)
    Could be I just reverse image searched.

When in doubt about going off shore I always think WWTHD "What would Thor Heyerdahl do"

CheersMatt

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post

No, I disagree strongly. I had a 42 footer for about 13 years, went to a 50 footer, bliss. Until it got really, really, bad, then the 76 footers had it all over me. In our game, it wans't 2 foot-itis, it was 10 foot -itis

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Tend to disagree......Added to the cover I mentioned earlier, if you can't have two full size blokes moving up and down one side and jamming into the corners in any sort of sea.
    I assume you dont actually mean 'any' sort of sea.

There are a lot of days that I wouldnt want to go out in any trailer boat - that is unless rescue was standing by and I didnt care about losing the boat.

Free Membership

This was definitely an Onshore boat...It does well offshore also!
    ( not sure on how to turn picture around)

20190424_170140.jpg

https://s.amsu.ng/cK7xzBKcnUPN

Ausfish Platinum Member

Well,look on the bright side --it can't sink there, can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vromme View Post
    I assume you dont actually mean 'any' sort of sea.

There are a lot of days that I wouldnt want to go out in any trailer boat - that is unless rescue was standing by and I didnt care about losing the boat.
    Definitely not 'any' sea.....but there is a point where if it is fishable but only just a certain sort of boat with an experienced operator will do it relatively safely and another sort of boat simply will not.

This is my idea of an offshore trailer boat .......

Can even come with extra technology to avoid others picking you up when on your favorite fishing spot - & then armament to remove unwanted jetskiers

Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

On watch wee early hours of the morning bridge lookout going across the bight on an ex Aircraft Carrier watching the waves wash across the flight deck makes you realise any Boat or Ship can shrink somewhat in bad weather " Offshore " as stated ..
    Sitting on the crapper in the forward toilets n bow comes slamming down off a good swell/wave n the only reason to use paper is to wipe the saltwater off the acehole after getting that area blasted clean might make one think they should be in a bigger Offshore Rig lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    This is my idea of an offshore trailer boat .......

Can even come with extra technology to avoid others picking you up when on your favorite fishing spot - & then armament to remove unwanted jetskiers

No rod holders, and I wouldn't want to be the "deckie" that has to stand on the angled bow to pull the anchor.

My 12' Stessl Eggcracker barra boat was my first "offshore" boat. Mostly out of Pancake Ck but the jewie was through Wide Bay Bar. Also used to troll around Murphys and Gneerings in it too. This was the days before Epirbs were mandatory.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Could be I just reverse image searched.

When in doubt about going off shore I always think WWTHD "What would Thor Heyerdahl do"

CheersMatt
    So where and how are we trailing our balsa raft too?