Thread: What is an offshore boat?

Re: What is an offshore boat?

Not this

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Or this

That's an 80 series crusier trying to retrieve at 24ft cat from the gutter at Waddy

You'll all be surprised to what is classed "offshore" RMS have marine maps with lines marking offshore and its usually head to head land in Botany Bay its from the island to captain crooks landing spot which is well inside the heads

I was in a deep sea fishing club and the only boats that fished regularly had some form of cab be it cuddy,centre or half.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    The Polycraft boats they have as tenders on the swains trip are defo not offshore had a bit of swell and chop out there and with 3 pob I thought we were going to submerge with the amount of water coming over the transom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This was one area my tinnie really shone. I've had a lot more water come up the front of "offshore" boats due to being heavier than ever came over the front of that tin can. Even in a broken wave the front would pop up and over rather than go through. White water up to about a metre was easily tackled with a quick trim out and well timed blip of the throttle to start the bow lifting then back off and let it roll under. Found this out entirely by accident the first time I crossed a bar in it at Noosa (a little bit of poo may have come out that time) but used it to good effect several times to counteract skipper error over it's 20 years. Of course taking on a wave in the process of breaking would be a whole different kettle of fish and was something to be avoided at all costs in an open boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I guess by "definition" any boat that's offshore, is in reality an offshore boat! whether it should be there or not can be debated for years, harking back to "the old days" the old 4.5m centre console Quintrex Fishraider was a common sight offshore, when in reality, it was a lightweight "tinny" but there's heaps still alive and well, going out every weekend. These days trips beyond the shelf are common place, 30 years ago, a trip to the Banks off Currarong, or the Peak off Sydney were about as far as anyone ever went, old 2 strokes and limited fuel tanks made sure of it! but now, people drive straight past those places on their way "out wide" times changed, boats changed, available fish changed.
    100% agree Noelm. I had a 16ft Quintrex Fish finder for 10 yrs. It survived countless poundings in huge seas and big bar crossings. Absence of flotation, limited fuel range and common sense, limited my offshore trips to about 10nm from land. For a tinny, the ride was OK, but even on a good day, it took ages to get anywhere. With a proper offshore boat now, I sometimes drive for hours to get to my spots. The rewards CAN be greater. The risk level is much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    This was one area my tinnie really shone. I've had a lot more water come up the front of "offshore" boats due to being heavier than ever came over the front of that tin can. Even in a broken wave the front would pop up and over rather than go through. White water up to about a metre was easily tackled with a quick trim out and well timed blip of the throttle to start the bow lifting then back off and let it roll under. Found this out entirely by accident the first time I crossed a bar in it at Noosa (a little bit of poo may have come out that time) but used it to good effect several times to counteract skipper error over it's 20 years. Of course taking on a wave in the process of breaking would be a whole different kettle of fish and was something to be avoided at all costs in an open boat.
    Scottar, this reminds me of my first bar-crossing in the new glass boat. Expecting it to respond like the old centre console tinny, I blipped the throttle, just as the whitewater approached. Instead of rising over the whitewater, it just punched thru without even slowing down. Green water over the windscreen and all over the crew, put a bit of a damper over the rest of the trip.
    I quickly learned that momentum is your friend, when negotiating a bar with a heavy boat. A bit of trim and a little throttle helps, if water depth allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    mmmmmm, let me see, I know,
    a renegade 420

( mate , it was only a matter of time, hahahah)
    I actually thought this may have been the very first comment 🤪🤪🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    That's an 80 series crusier trying to retrieve at 24ft cat from the gutter at Waddy

lol was going to say it appears that a soviet sub is not an offshore vessel either...but maybe too soon..

The whole 'offshore boat' thing is a bit of a farce a lot of the time imo.

Anything that could be described as a boat and goes offshore is an offshore boat. People go out in all manner of craft kayaks, skis, boards, esky lids. Potting around headlands etc on calm flat days could go out in virtually anything even a punt. So really depends on conditions and how far. Some days I wouldnt go out in anything on other days Id go out on a boogey board.

The pub test is 16'.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The polycrafts transom was way to low for any sort of chop, when the bow went up the transom went under water, we just had to go flat out to keep it level which wasn’t pleasent! But the weather we had out there for the week is not the norm and would have been fine just cruising around the flats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Or this

Might be a good offshore boat, but I was told they are very wet!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Might be a good offshore boat, but I was told they are very wet!
    Only if you forget to zip the clears up

Quote Originally Posted by Vromme View Post
    The whole 'offshore boat' thing is a bit of a farce a lot of the time imo.

Anything that could be described as a boat and goes offshore is an offshore boat. People go out in all manner of craft kayaks, skis, boards, esky lids. Potting around headlands etc on calm flat days could go out in virtually anything even a punt. So really depends on conditions and how far. Some days I wouldnt go out in anything on other days Id go out on a boogey board.
    Tend to disagree......Added to the cover I mentioned earlier, if you can't have two full size blokes moving up and down one side and jamming into the corners in any sort of sea or if you can't run a couple of deck winches off one side in 15 to 20 and take care of the slop coming in or if your not pissing in a bottle even on a calm day then you are not in an off shore boat.The 'smallest' boat I have seen achieve this would be a 475 V-Sea.I don't believe any centre console tinny would qualify.