Classifieds

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ausfish Silver Member

Re: What is an offshore boat?

[QUOTE=scottar;1657687]Never been offshore......it's still wrapped in plastic [/ boat ramp battle scars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

No Masonite either

Seajay 5m Barramasta .jpg seating.jpg I've been 60km out to sea in this 5m Seajay Barramasta - Is it an offshore boat? In the right conditions & right hands Ö.. It's more than capable . I've been caught out in some pretty horrible conditions but with the exception of getting very wet the boat feels safe & handles the seas & bar crossings pretty well - I certainly have the confidence in the package especially the 100hp Yamaha .

That said - it's not an offshore boat
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Seller's Items

I guess by "definition" any boat that's offshore, is in reality an offshore boat! whether it should be there or not can be debated for years, harking back to "the old days" the old 4.5m centre console Quintrex Fishraider was a common sight offshore, when in reality, it was a lightweight "tinny" but there's heaps still alive and well, going out every weekend. These days trips beyond the shelf are common place, 30 years ago, a trip to the Banks off Currarong, or the Peak off Sydney were about as far as anyone ever went, old 2 strokes and limited fuel tanks made sure of it! but now, people drive straight past those places on their way "out wide" times changed, boats changed, available fish changed.

Ausfish Silver Member

What is an offshore boat?

The Polycraft boats they have as tenders on the swains trip are defo not offshore had a bit of swell and chop out there and with 3 pob I thought we were going to submerge with the amount of water coming over the transom!

Kevlacat 6.2m

Ausfish Silver Member

Me personally I just wouldnít like to go offshore in any boat that didnít have a true self draining deck! Have been caught out in storms before and itís amazing how a big down pour can fill a boat quickly and then there is the issue of taking a few over the top going through a bar, seen plenty of open boats get swamped because the pump couldnít get rid of the water before the next wave

Kevlacat 6.2m

Ausfish Gold Member

Everything in WA is offshore, unless you count the Swan River, and Cockburn Sound . Even the big "bays" Shark Bay, Exmouth Gulf, can get really nasty with wind running against tide. But what is the definition of "offshore" we are using here? Near coastal, ie, within a few k's of a safe entrance to a marina? 10 K's offshore? 30 nm offshore? Or needing a run across a bar to get out? So much of the NSW coast requires a run across the bar to access the ocean, and that's probably the hardest/riskiest part of the whole deal, IMO. I only have to go 3 nm from a safe reef entrance to get to the edge of the Shelf where I go every year, if you count 200m as the shelf. Goes off even quicker after that. 12ft dinghys go out nearly that far there on a regular basis, they all go to the 75 m strip to bottom bash and thats only a mile inside the 200m contour. But they don't have to run a bar.
    So I think we are really talking about what is the minumum you need to safely tackle a bar, because that's how this all started. And then someone will point out, quite rightly, that there are numpties capable of sinking absolutely anyhting, given opportunity and encouragement.

Ausfish Silver Member

I define offshore as anything more than 5miles from a mainland as that is when a vhf is required

Kevlacat 6.2m

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The one thing it was - a shit load of fun.
    That is absolutely what its all about!

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Don't cats turn turtle shortly after getting off the trailer?

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...highlight=roll

Matt
    And there's never enough water in the gutter to launch them without subamarineing the car!!

This thread is fun!

An offshore boat is whatever gets you out there on good days.

On bad bays an offshore boat is something a shitload bigger than you're in at the time!

Hereís a good definition for ya all

If your boat isnít just as capable as the coast guard boat in your marina.
    The yours is just a pretend offshore boat..

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

This

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Or this

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk