Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long is the aerial you've got hanging off your targa?

Re: How long is the aerial you've got hanging off your targa?

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    I consider enough sample populations and keep enough accurate data in my day job. I'm willing to wing this one based on some light googling and some respected opinion!
    I just rely on my wife to assure me that my sample size is adequate

Matt

Shakespeare, then Pacific, then GME. Also go 6dB if possible and yes RTM are one of the few general chandleries that carry that brand. I replace mine with a 2.4m as it was mounted on the side of the cabin but I would pobasbly go a smaller whip if targa mounted, something to do with rock n roll and the signal, Scottar could probably give us an education on it (actually I think he did when I had a problem but I've forgotten the details as it now works with a new aerial).

Re: Pacific aerial DB on from How long is the aerial you've got hanging off your targ

Craig, rhyce and I both went the 6db one from the communications joint behind the bp on richardson road. Made a world of difference at pearl bay over the standard one I was running before. Could get coastguard right inside the entrance whereas the smaller db one I had to call them well before turning in. Going east it covers well past NW also. Biggest improvement seemed boat to boat.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    rtm carrying something isnt a indicator of quality, half their stuff is own branded chinese rubbish
    ive never heard of Shakespeare so your sample size is not large enough

ive always used gmes never had a issue
    never heard of shakesphere and questions quality, then rates gme! That’s enough for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Have owned 9 boats never had a Shakespeare antenna in any of them also never had a gme fail or not be able to make contact round Sydney surrounds

That’s all I said

If they have never failed how am I suppose to give a negative opinion of them
    Whitworths or the old bias was where I got my stuff from over the years and gme was always cheaper, which is what got used by me

People bag out gme but how many have their Epirbs on the their own boats

If gives you some mirth then goodluck to you

I've "dismantled" a few Pacific / Navman antennas in my time. Quality of construction is probably on par with GME imo. Shakespeare aren't big due to their distributor in Australia but the ones I did see were well built externally at least. Glomex do a 6 db antenna we sold a lot of with pretty good success - it is a bit weighty though so may not suit depending on mounting location.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Have owned 9 boats never had a Shakespeare antenna in any of them also never had a gme fail or not be able to make contact round Sydney surrounds

That’s all I said

If they have never failed how am I suppose to give a negative opinion of them
    Whitworths or the old bias was where I got my stuff from over the years and gme was always cheaper, which is what got used by me

People bag out gme but how many have their Epirbs on the their own boats

If gives you some mirth then goodluck to you
    I have gme and is cracking around the base where you adjust the angle, 2 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Re: Pacific aerial DB on from How long is the aerial you've got hanging off your targ

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    Craig, rhyce and I both went the 6db one from the communications joint behind the bp on richardson road. Made a world of difference at pearl bay over the standard one I was running before. Could get coastguard right inside the entrance whereas the smaller db one I had to call them well before turning in. Going east it covers well past NW also. Biggest improvement seemed boat to boat.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Ausfish mobile app
    Sweet. Exactly what I wanted to know.

It's back in town in a fortnight sporting a new targa and baitboard. Come on round for beers in the shed.