Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossing Bars - what NOT to do?

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Crossing Bars - what NOT to do?

As you'll see on the News tonight, there was a boat rescue South of Port Macquarie today. It was actually the Camden Haven river, but rescue on the Southern wall, ocean side.

Report says ..."while seas were rough, the skipper had stopped the vessel prior to crossing the bar to assess conditions. While they were sitting there, a large wave swamped vessel."

News report here: https://www.camdencourier.com.au/sto...izes/#slide=14

Sort of begs the questions how does that happen? Lesson in not what to do?
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

Re: Crossing Bars - what NOT to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    As you'll see on the News tonight, there was a boat rescue South of Port Macquarie today. It was actually the Camden Haven river, but rescue on the Southern wall, ocean side.

Report says ..."while seas were rough, the skipper had stopped the vessel prior to crossing the bar to assess conditions. While they were sitting there, a large wave swamped vessel."

News report here: https://www.camdencourier.com.au/sto...izes/#slide=14

Sort of begs the questions how does that happen? Lesson in not what to do?
    Yet to do my first bar crossing. Would only even think about it on a calm day, but what worries me would be if the weather or conditions change while I am out there and my inexperience would stop me being able to get back in.

Feel for them down at port today. Haven't seen the footage but hope they were all rescued safely.

Smile, it confuses people
    Smile, It confuses people

When the weather reports suggest not to go out is probably not the day to have a go.

if in doubt pull out certainly applies to bars too
    What could go wrong.......................

I suppose there are always ways to get into trouble....even highly aware people get caught by a rogue wave etc...we had a 6.5m Haines helmed by an experienced skipper attempting to launch Australia first moonshot off a big wave... failed to launch and the boat is still bumbling along the seabed somewhere....maybe they miscalculated the current moving them out..or turned sideways to be better prepared to scoot back??

Another report:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/ca...a-b9c34c8ef32c

Confirms the 2 POB were taken to hospital.

Very lucky indeed.
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

FMD ... 7 Prime "local" news reported it was a 14 foot tinnie.

You get a glimpse of it in the News report here:

https://www.prime7.com.au/news/9568-capsized-boat-rescue

Not exactly the type of ocean conditions, or bar that day, I'd be taking out a boat like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    FMD ... 7 Prime "local" news reported it was a 14 foot tinnie.

You get a glimpse of it in the News report here: https://www.prime7.com.au/news/9568-...ed-boat-rescue

Not exactly the type of ocean conditions, or bar that day, I'd be taking out a boat like that.
    I wonder if it was one of those "Offshore" tinnies, fella..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I wonder if it was one of those "Offshore" tinnies, fella..
    It's all fun and games till someone has to scramble the rescue chopper

Matt

If indeed the waves were at 8 feet, as someone who has done hundreds of bar crossings in a 15' tinnie, I wouldn't have been remotely contemplating the idea. High tide at Camden Haven was at 6.30 this morning. I'll take a stab that old mate pulled up short to have a look but as a result of inexperience didn't think about the outflow pulling him into the surf zone and a bigger than usual one cleaned him up. The current usually rips pretty hard in these small river bar areas - trap for young players.

I remember sitting behind the break at Waddy contemplating the sets and the gutter then having to run hard to the west as a big greeny loomed in behind us! No issue as we were aware of our surroundings so could take appropriate actions. If we weren't watching we may have been swimming back in!

it wasnt a 420 renegade by any chance.
    surf conditions was right up there and over whelmed the size of the vessel and underestimated by the skipper. lucky escape that one.

what not to do? dont ignore weather conditions
    dont ignore your eyesight and gut feeling
    dont back out once your committed.

Ausfish Platinum Member

here's a good one, just posted on Fishwrecked. Some stills, and a link to some video. This is a 50ft Westcoaster charter boat , planing hull, ex-crayboat , and this footage is shot from the flybridge, to give you an idea of size. South Passage is the south entrance to Shark Bay, between Dirk Hartog Island and the mainland. Fair bit of water moves through there, but its usually OK, I spent six weeks working my crayboat out of there in autumn/winter one year, never looked like breaking. But it does come up very quickly, from 21 fathoms to 8 fathoms in a vertical wall. The skipper has the nous to reverse back when he sees what is coming.

http://fishwrecked.com/forum/south-passage

nice video. cool skipper and a few sets coming in and all you can think is GULP. i bet that guy left finger prints in the coaming, who wouldnt i mean some serious power in those few waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve villani View Post
    Yet to do my first bar crossing. Would only even think about it on a calm day, but what worries me would be if the weather or conditions change while I am out there and my inexperience would stop me being able to get back in.

Feel for them down at port today. Haven't seen the footage but hope they were all rescued safely.

Smile, it confuses people
    In general Steve, coming back in is a lot easier than getting out. Provided your boat is not under powered, coming in 101 is to get on the back of a wave and stay there - the bigger the wave the better. Do not ride over the top and down the face and keep an eye on the one behind you. The one behind you generally won't catch you unless the one you are on drops out. Once you become proficient at this it actually becomes a bit of fun on a big day. If you are wanting to get more into offshore work and want a bit of training, a bloke by the name of Bill Corton runs a business out of Ormiston that involves both an off and on water component on south passage bar. Everyone I have spoken to that has done it gives it a big thumbs up. His add is in Bush and Beach magazine.

Guys the guys in this case were taking to hospital for hyperthermia most likely, a day at home with the kids or on the couch sure beats being in the water but we all make risky moves in life i have you likely have we all have just humans were not made for the sea