Thread: Whats the easiest and cheapest way to view charts on a computer

Whats the easiest and cheapest way to view charts on a computer

I'd like to overlay my gps marks onto a chart on the computer but not sure the easiest way to do it. My Garmin units have basemapping pre-loaded so I'm not sure if you can get it copied to a card to open in homeport or similar.

Any easy ways of doing it?

Thanks
    Craig

Re: Whats the easiest and cheapest way to view charts on a computer

There was a way to copy the internal chart for homeport use. I think the homeport needed to be registered to the serial number of the unit too. Not sure on the exact process of copying as I never did it. Garmin support probably the go for that or homeport help.

OpenCPN. You can google for free charts.

I use it with CMAP for navigation, and have sailed on commercial ships that use it.

There is another free one that I cant think of the name at this time. A mate of mine uses it and digitised the maps from beacon to beacon.

Homeport is a free download from Garmin, insert your SD card into your unit go to manage card and download your waypoints, put the SD card into your PC and it will load up the chart from your unit. You have to keep the card in the reader to view the chart but in the process you are also backing up your WPs if you strike a problem send me a PM and I'll work you through it

Thanks lads,
    I've got homeport running and am happy with that. I've only got the builtin GPS maps, which aren't on a card. I'll do some googling about how to make them transferrable to homeport and report back.

Cheers
    Craig

Dignity was on to it. Just like downloading the waypoints.

https://support.garmin.com/en-AU/?fa...mV8BqRfC9qm5s7

CT you should be able to double click on your last track and if your unit supports it you will get COG charts and also Depth Chart, you can see the various depths where you've been and Ive located a few points of interest some of which have returned fish, spots I've missed while under way.

Cheers Sam

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Yep, homeport is the easiest option. Doing the import / transfer using SD card as suggested above.

You can also use Google Earth. But, that takes more stuffing around. Good for a backup though and accessible from anywhere, so if your at the pub or a mates place, you can pull up google earth on ya phone and access marks etc.

I use a program called Oziexplorer. Have been for over 20 years. A Brisbane guy wrote it. Does most brands. Older C-Map, Northstars and Raymarines excluded. You have to scan all the charts in yourself and digitise 3+ longs and lats. The green zone maps from North Qld are good for base maps. I've got a hold of a lot of Admirilty charts and the old Sunmap charts. Works great for me. I do use GPS Utility or GPS Babel if I have to convert the odd file to different non standard formats. If you want a free online Navionics there is always this one to look at on a computer screen or tablet for route planning or distances etc. http://www.fishandboat.com.au/navionics

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    I use a program called Oziexplorer. Have been for over 20 years. A Brisbane guy wrote it. Does most brands. Older C-Map, Northstars and Raymarines excluded. You have to scan all the charts in yourself and digitise 3+ longs and lats. The green zone maps from North Qld are good for base maps. I've got a hold of a lot of Admirilty charts and the old Sunmap charts. Works great for me. I do use GPS Utility or GPS Babel if I have to convert the odd file to different non standard formats. If you want a free online Navionics there is always this one to look at on a computer screen or tablet for route planning or distances etc. http://www.fishandboat.com.au/navionics
    Smithy, I loved that program but when I moved to 64 bit platform it didn't work. Loved the fact you could take a huge chart to a business that could scan it, triangulate it on the PC and away you go. In CTs case at least he gets to back up his WPs and he gets depth on tracks travelled and it is identical to what he sees on the water..