Thread: Another transducer question

Another transducer question

Hi all I'm just after some advice,
    Do these results sound more like a transducer angle adjustment, position or wash from the hull/design ?
    So I've got a 5.5m fibreglass hull with a transom mount hstwbl transducer.
    150 merc 4st motor is the max rated for the hull, I don't think it's bum heavy. Ie the way the hull angle rides - compared to the transducer setup.
    Transducer results are fine at rest.
    As I speed up I can get to almost 10 knots adjusting up the gain as the screen gets full of clutter.
    Faster than that I need to trim out the motor to keep the bottom reading.
    Trim it out to the point I think the trim is borderline too far, as in I feel the steering is spongy/less responsive.

If the issue sounds like the transducer angle, I have had the angle one click either side of its current position but found the results not too good.
    I have been saving for a airmar through hull as an upgrade hopefully soon, but Id like to understand this one in the meantime.
    I'll find a photo of the current install if that helps.

Cheers
    Jamie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Another transducer question

Try dropping it a few mm.

Yes I could try that. I've got a few weeks off now so plenty of time to experiment before trying to get on the water again.
    Thanks scottar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Try dropping it a few mm.
    So I did drop it about 5mm and I managed to get out last weekend for a test.
    It was definitely better than what is was, so thanks for the suggestion scottar.
    So now I get a reading when stopped and when up on the plane to about 25knots, with only minor trim adjustment.
    So I’m happy with that.
    I’m guessing there’s too much turbulence when the boat is in between trolling and up on the plane.
    I’m not sure if I should push more adjusting for the sake of a more improvements ? Should I expect more ?
    Is it worth it - can anyone expect accurate fish reading/arches above 20/25knts ? Too fast ?
    I can see the benefits of sounding the bottom terrain at speed - above 20knots.
    Anyway.
    Thanks again.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.