Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing on the Booby for a week

Playing on the Booby for a week

Gday guys, just a report on my week on the Swains onboard the Booby Bird. 14 blokes left Kenilworth at 5.00am last Friday, all excited and full of anticipation. We got to Gladstone shortly after 10.00am and were greeted by the friendliest young bloke who became known as Kritter. He was the most helpful of deckies and hardest working young fella I have met in a long time. We loaded most of our gear and headed to the bottlo to get get supplies. Next stop was the reef hotel for a beer and lunch and we were told not to hurry back as only 4 of the 6 dories were useable and the were trying to fix a 5th one. We eventually left port at 4.00pm and had a dead smooth run out. We went to the eastern edge of the reefs where apparently it doesn’t get clogged due to weather restraints. We arrived there at 9.00am and were fishing shortly after. The result of this session was 1 red at 7kg and a couple of trout and red throat for the whole boat. I was thinking, this is pretty slow but only the first session so let’s hope it improves. Skipper was disappointed so we moved. That afternoon session proved the same. We moved again, anchoring on dark hoping for a hot red throat bite but the sharks just hammered us. Fishing was impossible!!!!! This was the general idea for the whole trip. As soon as the anchor rattled to the bottom, it was like a dinner bell ringing for the sharks.
    The total catch for the week was 310 fish with rough numbers of 130 trout, 130 red throat, 2 Spanish, 1 cobia, 1 largish cod, 1 red emperor, 10 tuskfish and the rest were hussar. 22 fish each for 7 days is pretty slow.
    The chef and his food were both top quality.
    The boat is pretty old but ok. Very unstable and tippy in any sort of sea.
    The dory’s are shocking, very belted around and not maintained with leaks and outboards that barely push them by the end of the week.

All in all, the blokes in our group, and the weather made the trip. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	119498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	119499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	119500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0067.jpg 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	119501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	119502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0080.JPG 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	119503

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Blog Entries

Re: Playing on the Booby for a week

Great report. We went on the Eastern voyager last week of May. Great boat and great crew. We got about 240 fish I think (but there was only 8 of us on board)

we fished a couple of days of days in deep water off the mothership and surprisingly didn’t have too many issues with the men in grey suits.

Yeh interesting Funchy, the deepest we really fished was about 30m with most fishing around 18-20m.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

I'm surprised the old Booby Bird is still working. She can certainly move with the waves. She needs some money spent on her bottom to get some stabilising strands put in.

Yeh Sam I believe that may be on the cards. The deckies were talking about them.

A mate of mine is a shipwright n has installed a couple of these and can't believe the difference in stability.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Yeh interesting Funchy, the deepest we really fished was about 30m with most fishing around 18-20m.

We asked the skip if we could do some deep stuff so we could put some reds and nannys on board. Also go some nice gold band snapper in the deep

Funchy, yeh we asked the same but skip was ex trout pro and thought 30m was deep. They certainly knew how to catch trout but.

"Cox76y" . These stabilizers look good and whilst every one would want one, just curious how much do they cost and how many watts of power do they consume per hour keeping the gryo spinning and moving? I would imagine they take a lot of power which would mean big battery banks or generator?, and combined either way it would add a massive amount to the boats weight.

bloody hell stopped it rocking straight up. how doe it work?

i dont see donkey on the booby, how did you get those dorys of the roof.

But of info here https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/m...r-to-your-boat
    Some of it surprising n some not so.. Supposedly cures seasickness..

But of info here https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/m...r-to-your-boat
    Some of it surprising n some not so.. Supposedly cures seasickness..

You really only need those gyro’s on boats that are missing a hull
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Sit down for the price on the gyro... I jumped on at the sanctuary cove boat show. Amazing how quick it made the hull rock stop and go “solid”. But started at around $30k ish I think. And I think install was extra! Hull modification also likely depending on boat design.