Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing on the Booby for a week

Blog Entries

Re: Playing on the Booby for a week

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Funchy, yeh we asked the same but skip was ex trout pro and thought 30m was deep. They certainly knew how to catch trout but.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    yeah we got some good trout in the shallower stuff but the best trout of the trip I pulled out of 90 meters on the first day. Went about 7kg

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J View Post
    Sit down for the price on the gyro... I jumped on at the sanctuary cove boat show. Amazing how quick it made the hull rock stop and go “solid”. But started at around $30k ish I think. And I think install was extra! Hull modification also likely depending on boat design.
    Honestly for 99.9% of the users of this site the gyro people are kidding themselves at the cost of them. Sure the technology will stabilise a deep vee mono more than a cat when in a beam sea. The result is that the wife of a billionaire may not get sick when on a day trip. But in reality, any mono that has such a huge dead rise that a gyro is needed to stabilise it at rest is in all likelihood a POS hull to start with.

Just get a cat cat and be done with it. In far north of 80% of fishable days when the average Joe has a chance to fish when not at work. A quality cat will out perform any mono of the same length in a straight line and at rest. Sure, there are a minority of conditions where some monos will do better, and yes there are layout payoffs in some mono designs.

But if you are the average Joe that works 5 days a week on average and looks for windows to get out when work allows, and you have a choice between say a (second hand) $70k deep vee mono with a 30k gyro. Or a 100k cat. I fail to see any option where the mono comes out in front.

Even commercial. There are big cat options that smoke the similar mono competitors. I’m guessing though the the total outlay is significant. What’s the price difference between the booby and these guys?

http://www.kanimblacharters.net.au/
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hi Lovey, not sure what the Kanimbla is worth but the Booby was $2200

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    What’s the price difference between the booby and these guys?

http://www.kanimblacharters.net.au/
    The Eastern Voyager was $2,590 PP
    Can highly recommend them

https://www.turacharters.com.au/mv-eastern-voyager.html

We did a week on Eastern Voyager in July last year. Cost was $2540 per person with 14 on the boat. We had a week of 25 - 30 knots of wind and copped an absolute flogging from the sharks. From memory we came back with around 350 fish and most of our group are pretty experienced fishos. Ticked a bucket list item by doing the trip, but certainly in no hurry to back up for a return trip. For me, there is nothing at the Swains that I can't do in my own boat off 1770. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Short Fuse View Post
    We did a week on Eastern Voyager in July last year. Cost was $2540 per person with 14 on the boat. We had a week of 25 - 30 knots of wind and copped an absolute flogging from the sharks. From memory we came back with around 350 fish and most of our group are pretty experienced fishos. Ticked a bucket list item by doing the trip, but certainly in no hurry to back up for a return trip. For me, there is nothing at the Swains that I can't do in my own boat off 1770. Cheers.
    Jeff, you are certainly correct, it is blowing and raining hard at 1770. I will have to get out with you one of these days and as luck has it finished all my major chores at my daughters place while the weather was good and now...……………

Cheers Sam

Blog Entries

We had 8 on the boat (They had cancellations but had committed to go as it was organised by them not us, we had a cabin each!!!) with only 4 experienced fishos, 0-5knot winds for the most part and put 240 odd fish over the side. Sharks were a problem at times but not crazy bad.

Trust me I know how lucky we were, we will never get all those stars aligning again I'm sure

We will organise something for sure Sam. I am in the middle of moving house after 26 years here. Did not realize how much junk I had accumulated. Been a lot of trips to the dump and the scrappies. Moving to an estate off the Bribie road so the next couple of weeks will be crazy setting up the new place but will be much easier to get boats in and out of the yard without having to contend with 45 000 cars a day driving past the front gate. Hopefully by the time I am set up, the weather will be in a better mood.

Hi Funchy. the Eastern Voyager is a lovely boat for sure and the crew worked their guts out for us in the conditions we had. I thought the dories were pretty tired. They needed a big overhaul, and new motors and electronics on them. In the conditions we had, it was too dangerous to go far from the big boat, and that meant that the sharks just followed us everywhere. Anytime we hooked a fish in over 20 metres depth, it was a race to beat the sharks to the boat. One of the guys put a Go Pro over the side at one stage and filmed a carpet of whalers swimming under the boat. On the first morning, the big boat pulled up at the first anchorage. Grant (Moonlighter) fed a pilly out the back and nailed a nice trout on the first drop. We all thought this is going to be easy. Probably the only easy fish of the entire week.

Despite the above, I would also highly recommend Tura Charters to anyone looking to go to the Swains. A very professional crew who were great to be with for the week. The chef on board was absolutely exceptional and could find work in any 5 star restaurant if he wanted to.

Cheers

Jeff

Blog Entries

Hi Funchy. the Eastern Voyager is a lovely boat for sure and the crew worked their guts out for us in the conditions we had. I thought the dories were pretty tired. They needed a big overhaul, and new motors and electronics on them. In the conditions we had, it was too dangerous to go far from the big boat, and that meant that the sharks just followed us everywhere. Anytime we hooked a fish in over 20 metres depth, it was a race to beat the sharks to the boat. One of the guys put a Go Pro over the side at one stage and filmed a carpet of whalers swimming under the boat. On the first morning, the big boat pulled up at the first anchorage. Grant (Moonlighter) fed a pilly out the back and nailed a nice trout on the first drop. We all thought this is going to be easy. Probably the only easy fish of the entire week.
    Yeah on day two I landed a 68cm Red in 50M of water first drop in the dories and thought the same. The next drop we hooked up again and sharks smacked us both. We learnt to "stick and move" but admittedly given the conditions we could.

Despite the above, I would also highly recommend Tura Charters to anyone looking to go to the Swains. A very professional crew who were great to be with for the week. The chef on board was absolutely exceptional and could find work in any 5 star restaurant if he wanted to.

Cheers

Jeff
    Yep, they were great. Dan the Skipper was full of advice if you picked your moment to talk to him and were humble (I think they see a lot of big noter's no doubt). Like you say, they work bloody hard to make it as good as they can for you. One of the guys that was on the charter with us was on his 20th trip and won't go with anyone else. He killed it in the shallows chasing RTE and we dubbed him 4 meter Peter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Jeff, you are certainly correct, it is blowing and raining hard at 1770. I will have to get out with you one of these days and as luck has it finished all my major chores at my daughters place while the weather was good and now...……………

Cheers Sam
    Sam we are about due to drag that rig of yours up to the block again this winter surely?

Can’t recommend the Iron Joy enough. Great fibreglass dories with well looked after yammies on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Sam we are about due to drag that rig of yours up to the block again this winter surely?
    Can you pray to the weather gods for me as I'm not having any luck

We will organise something for sure Sam. I am in the middle of moving house after 26 years here. Did not realize how much junk I had accumulated. Been a lot of trips to the dump and the scrappies. Moving to an estate off the Bribie road so the next couple of weeks will be crazy setting up the new place but will be much easier to get boats in and out of the yard without having to contend with 45 000 cars a day driving past the front gate. Hopefully by the time I am set up, the weather will be in a better mood.

Cheers

Jeff
    Jeff, you can drop off your Seatrek Cat at my place, its closer than the dump.

I have fished the Kanimbla many years ago, it was at our regular crew that suggested that there was a spot on the back deck where a temprite would fit nicely, we just ordered the kegs, and left what we didn't drink for the crew. Probably all changed now as it has been quite a while.

We did big cat reality a month or so ago to the swains and the weather was atrocious, should have been cancelled! 4m swells heading out and only got out in the dories 2 days of the week but good food and the skipper did well putting us onto fish from the mother ship! $2400 per person! Gave us a discount because of the weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

The Gyro stabilisers will sell - just not to the kind of boats that a lot of us in these parts run around in. In the game boat/ fishing market they will find a market - if you can afford the $1.5 to 3 +++ million to build your boat, a bit extra for a rocker stopper is chump change. Half of these boats have audio visual packages worth twice that amount to watch the footy on Sunday. Same goes when you are dropping $250+ K on a maxi trailerboat. And before Lovey jumps on me about the extra hull, try trolling into a couple of feet of sea for a few hours first. The next game fisherman that sells his cat to return to a mono won't be the first or the last. Realistically they aren't aimed at anything less than this market place on either cost or space constraints.