Thread: What tastes better

What tastes better

Ive caught a few snapper in the bay and love the taste of them but on Sunday I caught my first male and I must say it was not very tasty, i was wounding if it was because it was in spawning mode!!!!!,I know I've eaten better snapper.

Has anyone else caught and eaten many of them to prefer one to the other???.

Re: What tastes better

Never noticed any difference in male or female, in roe or milt or anything else, they do seem to go a bit "mild" as they get bigger, I find just legal to maybe 1.5KG to be the best.

I've had the odd one that is soft and mushy, don't know if it's male or female as never thought to check but for me it seems its only the ones that were in water deeper than 50 metres where this has occurred. Last couple of occasions was from 90 metres and from 240 metres.

Never had a soft/mushy one, maybe it's a warm water thing?

I wonder , like some fish - taste can come from their diet .

I've never really thought about snapper ….. but now that you've raised it - I reckon there may be something in it.
    I certainly (back in the day) looked forward to catching & eating snapper during the cuttle fish spawning period. The red's seemed to be fatter & tastier .

Location certainly come into play …… fish sitting out on a reef vs bay vs Brissy river snapper - I reckon you'd notice the difference.

Male Vs Female ….. I think size is the bigger influence . Most would agree on the pan sized red being best

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Back in the day when I caught a few used to come acrorss mushy snaps from time to time, inedible really, could pick them eventually because they were not in well conditioned, thinner through the body.

Must happen to a few species, I’ve had mushy red throat aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

I am no expert but cannot see why they would not be prone to parasites unlike a lot of fish..

And those parasites do tend to make the flesh condition poorer than the norm..

Cant say I have ever noticed it myself though and have caught and eaten lots of snapper both in the bay and offshore.

The smaller ones are certainly of better eating quality..

Also have found if you bleed, ice and look after any fish it improves the eating quality ten fold!

Personally I’ve not encountered a bad tasting snapper. Size has a bit to do with taste.

I can tell you one thing - I’m cruising along the Adriatic coast at the moment and from what I’ve found, seen and tried, our seafood is superior.

At a restaurant the other night they advertised ‘Fish of the Day’ so I asked and with glee they answered ‘Bonito’

Well I’m game never having eaten it before. I think I’ll continue to use it as bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by Watto79 View Post
    Also have found if you bleed, ice and look after any fish it improves the eating quality ten fold!
    Yep, even works on the dreaded (dare I say it)....BLACKALL

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

brain spiking (Ikijimi) was a revalation to me …….. The best way to kill a fish & maintain the eating qualities

Here is a useful site for those interested in where to spike their favourite fish

www.ikijime.com
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO