Thread: What do you want to read in a fishing report?

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

What do you want to read in a fishing report?

I know I have posted a couple of questions but judging by the replies the questions were well received.

I personally love reading fishing reports especially when there are pictures attached. They don’t have to be huge fish or massive hauls even someone getting their first flame snapper (good read Trev). I have written only a couple myself but I started to wonder what other people want to see/read in a report? If I am going to write a report I would like to write something that most people would want to read.
    “Filthy Oar”
    Stessl 5.3m centre console
    90hp Suzuki

Blog Entries

Re: What do you want to read in a fishing report?

Quote Originally Posted by OcciferNick View Post
    I know I have posted a couple of questions but judging by the replies the questions were well received.

I personally love reading fishing reports especially when there are pictures attached. They don’t have to be huge fish or massive hauls even someone getting their first flame snapper (good read Trev). I have written only a couple myself but I started to wonder what other people want to see/read in a report? If I am going to write a report I would like to write something that most people would want to read.
    I like a bit of a story about the day not just strictly fishing. A bit of humour doesn’t go astray and plenty of good pics. I used to post tonnes of reports but since site went quiet I dropped off. Also posting photos is a pain in the arse, it’s 2019 it should be easy

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    I like a bit of a story about the day not just strictly fishing. A bit of humour doesn’t go astray and plenty of good pics. I used to post tonnes of reports but since site went quiet I dropped off. Also posting photos is a pain in the arse, it’s 2019 it should be easy
    And it depends on whether you are using Apple, Android, Windows etc. I thought this site had changed recently to make it easier. But here's todays post sans photos as I don't bother with flatties anymore, will that do.

I originally had plans to hit the Pumistone Passage at sun up but got an upgrade to chasing Coral Trout this afternoon. As luck would have it the other party had severe plumbing problems (he might have to go back to work to pay for it) so I was back to my original plan with some slight alteration, leaving sometime after 9.30am. Got out the front turned right went about 20 metres and dropped the Leckie in and soon after a small 38 cm flattie was on. Being a beautiful day and also being a bit lazy after the hiatus of recent weeks I just kept flicking around instead of going to usual haunts. By just after lunch I had caught about a dozen all up but as most were around the 40 to 42 cm mark they got to go back so we could catch up another day. I did end up with three at 50 - 51 cm so they got kept to feed a friend and us. I did lose another around 50cm at the boat and hooked into one right at the boat on the bottom and it didn't even know it was hooked and eventually bit through the leader.

It was so peaceful then about 12:30pm a couple of jet skiers decided to do some figure eights about 30 metres in front of me, I don't know why as there was plenty of room elsewhere but as I was just sitting there eating lunch and enjoying the (previous) serenity I wasn't too upset. These were the only jet skiers I saw all day which is simply amazing in this area. I basically then sorted through my gear and found crap in the boat I thought had been lost, changed rigs, tidied up and before I knew it 2pm had rolled around and I decided I might just head home for a coldie.

It was great being out on my own again with no pressure to find fish and move around, I actually never moved and caught all my fish in about a 20m radius of the boat, I could have put the anchor out but it would have fouled on many of the fish as I tend to flick upstream and come with the tide.

I think I should do it more often.

PS: I think FB and other social media seems to have taken off and people generally only use the forums for questions etc.

Great post Dignity. Sounds like a wonderful enjoyable and relaxing day on the water

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

What do I want to read in a fishing report??

All depends on what I managed to catch the same day. No one wants to come to terms with the fact that they suck at fishing

Here are the fish I caught
    It's a super secret spot that only I know of
    It always produces awesome fish every time I go there
    Oh and Trev if you want the mark just ask me

Cheers

Trev

I'm another fan of the story - trials & tribulations & really dig the adventure ones where someone is doing a road trip or a mission.
    That said ... I dont mind a pure "went out on the bay" kind of report - particularly if some information is shared (what worked , what didn't) .
    There is certainly respect given to those that share information ….. not necessarily their marks but general area etc.
    Sadly these days we are pretty time poor & not too many want to spend an hour or so writing up a report - which is unfortunate.

What I do dislike & is was rampant a few years back were the bullshit posts with blacked out backgrounds on their photo's but full of product placement …… no thanks - move on.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I like to see in a post a good story with the sharing of information to help others make the right choices in finding fish. Sometimes knowing where the fish aren't hanging around is as good as where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtom View Post
    Great post Dignity. Sounds like a wonderful enjoyable and relaxing day on the water

Ashtom, went out today again with a mate who's down from the mines and another beautiful day (and not a jet ski in sight). It was interesting as the fish weren't very cooperative at all early on until mate landed a nice 67 cm flattie followed by a smaller one. A little later when things were very quiet mate commented it must be morning tea time, when I asked why he said all the birds were sitting, sleeping on all the sand bars and sure enough the Herons had their beaks tucked in under their wings, the terns were sitting there, plovers just standing there, sand pipers doing nothing and those short tailed whatever you callem just all sitting there. I've never seen it like that but then there was nothing smashing bait no eagles soaring the mullet were quiet, don't know what union they were in but they were all on stike. About an hour later though it was different, I landed a 67cm flattie then finally some nice keepers around the 53 cm started to come aboard, all in all what started out as a slow day turned into a very good day.